hibs.net Messageboard

Thought we played well today

Much better performance, result sucks as ever against the manky ugly ones, as for the manager dont know if he could have done any better today with our injury list, etc, etc.

2 daft mistakes and gifted goals, followed by a good spell then joe Bugner Newell gets sent off and he really up against it, but good to see the scarf twirlers shieting themselves screaming for the whistle.
    We need to spend well in the summer.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Much better performance, yes. But really this be the minimum we should be getting, and then finding a way to score more goals more often.

Assuming we don’t get dragged in to any relegation nonsense we can write this season off and hope it gets better from here.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Performance counts for nothing in a cup game.

Performance counts for nothing in a derby.

I’m no feeling any better about our good effort today.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Much better performance, yes. But really this be the minimum we should be getting, and then finding a way to score more goals more often.

Assuming we don’t get dragged in to any relegation nonsense we can write this season off and hope it gets better from here.
    I'm sure we'll need the summer window before the goals start to come regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

This definitely, best post seen on .net for years.
    Sums up my feelings almost exactly.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    The performance and contrast to how I feel this week compared to last tells me everything about the game and how it went. Obviously goes without saying I'm gutted about the result but in ANY game there's a major difference getting beat with a meek timid performance like last week vs getting beat after blood guts and thunder and just being desperately unlucky. They have a world class keeper in Gordon, literally world class. 9/10 keepers don't save Porteous header, but he does. The amount of times he saves them is remarkable and just is what it is. Will be a fantastic day when for us when he retires.

Even the most die in the wool Jambo will know they got away with one today. They might not verbally admit it but deep down they know it. No way in a million years would you have thought Hibs had the 10 men in that 2nd half. The pressing and control we had was actually mind blowing when we all know what we've been used too under Maloney.

It was a very good performance from Hibs, I don't think anyone can argue about that. Hearts had lady luck that second half, but because of our stupidity at the 1st goal and then switching off for the 2nd, we gave ourself a mountain to climb.

Hearts won't be winning the Final though, no chance. Firmly sure Hibs will still be it latest team in Edinburgh to win the Cup.

Performance doesnt matter tbh we still lost to Them!

@hibs.net private member
    We lost yet again. A decent performance in a cup derby semi final is not good enough.

@hibs.net private member
    There were at least a few positives but anyone with eyes could see Newell was needing subbed and the changes had to come earlier. What we did today was the bare minimum for a Derby. We actually bossed Hearts physically and much of that had to do with the return of Lewis. His return a massive positive but why hasn't he been playing the last few games. I think we edged the game but we never really got enough men forward when we were on top but a goal behind. That has been the story of Maloney's time so far for me. We are far too safe in areas you can afford to take a gamble and take far too many risks in areas you should be playing it safe.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We did but a semi is all about winning. I'd rather play poor and win 2-1.

Players deserve credit for how they performed though.
    Last edited by Spike Mandela; 16-04-2022 at 04:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    "Plucky losers"

Just shows how far standards have slipped. I actually think there is a bit of relief from a lot of the fans that we didn't end up on the end of a hiding after a disastrous opening 20 minutes and made it look respectable. Yes, we did play well in the end but ultimately it still wasn't good enough to beat a Hearts side there for the taking.

Played well against them in the 2020 semi too, easily the better side. Hearts won that too.

We shoot ourselves in the foot time after time. They never gift us goals from basic things like we did today. Its so, so boring. Always a player who does something beyond ****ing stupid against them.

Hearts played a way that wins in Scotland today. Big lump up front, bodies in the box, take advantage of set plays.

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    The performance and contrast to how I feel this week compared to last tells me everything about the game and how it went. Obviously goes without saying I'm gutted about the result but in ANY game there's a major difference getting beat with a meek timid performance like last week vs getting beat after blood guts and thunder and just being desperately unlucky. They have a world class keeper in Gordon, literally world class. 9/10 keepers don't save Porteous header, but he does. The amount of times he saves them is remarkable and just is what it is. Will be a fantastic day when for us when he retires.

Even the most die in the wool Jambo will know they got away with one today. They might not verbally admit it but deep down they know it. No way in a million years would you have thought Hibs had the 10 men in that 2nd half. The pressing and control we had was actually mind blowing when we all know what we've been used too under Maloney.

It was a very good performance from Hibs, I don't think anyone can argue about that. Hearts had lady luck that second half, but because of our stupidity at the 1st goal and then switching off for the 2nd, we gave ourself a mountain to climb.

Hearts won't be winning the Final though, no chance. Firmly sure Hibs will still be it latest team in Edinburgh to win the Cup.
    Feels even worse this week than last. We blew it today .

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Hearts played a way that wins in Scotland today. Big lump up front, bodies in the box, take advantage of set plays.
    Is it exciting though? We could, and have played like that under previous managers. All have been berated for their "style". If that's the way that wins, why are we bothering? Why did we replace someone who played a similar way?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    There were at least a few positives but anyone with eyes could see Newell was needing subbed and the changes had to come earlier. What we did today was the bare minimum for a Derby. We actually bossed Hearts physically and much of that had to do with the return of Lewis. His return a massive positive but why hasn't he been playing the last few games. I think we edged the game but we never really got enough men forward when we were on top but a goal behind. That has been the story of Maloney's time so far for me. We are far too safe in areas you can afford to take a gamble and take far too many risks in areas you should be playing it safe.

100%

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Absolutely nailed. The risks taken in defence are shambolic at times, players thinking they can stroll past attacking players that are closing them down and getting caught time after time. Midfielders not taking the gamble to get in the box and leave their holding position another.

Second half we actually played like a team because we had no option but to go for it, and what a difference it made. Some players actually looked interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    "Plucky losers"

Just shows how far standards have slipped. I actually think there is a bit of relief from a lot of the fans that we didn't end up on the end of a hiding after a disastrous opening 20 minutes and made it look respectable. Yes, we did play well in the end but ultimately it still wasn't good enough to beat a Hearts side there for the taking.
    Having seen Hibs, have 6 thumped past us in 3 games at hampdump all from the Tic, getting beat from that shower is painful, of course it is, but I seen a better performance than I expected, so even in that it gives me a wee shred of hope for the future. We need to invest in much better quality players, but that takes real cash, cash that we may or not have, so if we can give our all on the pitch then I can put up with that, i have seen so much worse.
    GGTTH

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    We only started playing when we were 2 nil down.
    Game was already lost.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    BUT WE LOST. Doesn't matter wether we played well or not, WE LOST. I watched Hibs pump Hertz in 1994 but Wayne Foster scored and we lost. I'm fed up watching Hibs being the better team in a derby and losing. Its soul destroying and happened yet again its a ****** joke tbh.

@hibs.net private member

The performance must count for something as I seen plenty folk using the Motherwell quarter final as a stick to beat Maloney with…

Bottom line - WE LOST --AGAIN
    Really don't care if we were the better team on the day, we lost. papped oot the cup lost.
    JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH - NOT BY A LONG SHOT

The same old story. Can't score.. but strangely not as devastated as last week even though it was a semi final. Hopefully we can take that fight into the next few weeks as well as start a few of the young Hibs team to give them the experience.

yep. What we got today was the bare minimum expected. Actual play was average.