hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What a support

A reflection on how Hibs were playing in the 2nd half; the support stay until the very end hopeful of an equaliser.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Greay support today
    👏👏👏

Good backing yesterday, though scoring so soon after their second goal definitely helped.

Sadly there’s still too many folk in our support who can’t/won’t behave in a civilised manner. Special mention to whoever it was near the back of Section I in the South Lower who thought it was a good idea to launch a cup of liquid towards the pitch after their first goal which showered dozens of Hibs fans with the contents. 👏👏👏

Just under 16k was probably better than some expected. Backed the team which was helped by the teams fighting performance. Hearts fans were very quiet until the last few minutes of injury time.

For all people moaned, myself included, about the lack of numbers, there is a lot to be said for a smaller, noisier support. It's less diluted and those who are there generally develop a bit of a siege mentality and get right behind the team.

Some of my best Hampden memories have come when we have had vast empty sections and some of the worst have come when we have had 20K+.

Of course there were a few erses around, I'd wager that would be the case if you took a random sample of 16K people in the general population. They shouldn't detract from a fantastic Hibs crowd yesterday that backed the team from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For all people moaned, myself included, about the lack of numbers, there is a lot to be said for a smaller, noisier support. It's less diluted and those who are there generally develop a bit of a siege mentality and get right behind the team.

Some of my best Hampden memories have come when we have had vast empty sections and some of the worst have come when we have had 20K+.

Of course there were a few erses around, I'd wager that would be the case if you took a random sample of 16K people in the general population. They shouldn't detract from a fantastic Hibs crowd yesterday that backed the team from start to finish.
    Well said 👏

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHFC View Post
    Do they have any songs for any of their players? I don’t think I’ve ever heard one. If a chant doesn’t involve us they don’t want to know.

I went for a wee walk round Queens Park before the match and, on my way back to the stadium, I encountered masses of their fans on the way to the game.

Dozens of them were waving Union Jacks and they were all singing about being 'up to our knees in Fenian blood'.

My wife's comment was quite telling... "I thought the Rangers game was tomorrow?"

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I went for a wee walk round Queens Park before the match and, on my way back to the stadium, I encountered masses of their fans on the way to the game.

Dozens of them were waving Union Jacks and they were all singing about being 'up to our knees in Fenian blood'.

My wife's comment was quite telling... "I thought the Rangers game was tomorrow?"
    would you say there’s more “Billy/Gorgie Boy …Fenian Blood” stuff and union flags from them now than there used to be?

it certainly seems to me that it’s growing by the year. You used to hear the odd one. Now it’s fully incorporated into their song book.

Walking back to the car just off Cathcart Road and there was a Jambo muttering something about “taigs” and whatnot. Tbf other Jambos around at the time were just laughing at him and told him to wind his neck in.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Now it’s fully incorporated into their song book.
    What song book ?

Thought there fans were pathetic yesterday. ‘Hearts Hearts & Hibs falling apart’ is their total songbook now.
    No songs for their team or players.

On a positive note our fans to a man, woman & child we’re immense.Was Down the front of the east next to the flags section was bouncing all game. Well done to all.
    Last edited by Scottie; 17-04-2022 at 09:05 AM.

would you say there’s more “Billy/Gorgie Boy …Fenian Blood” stuff and union flags from them now than there used to be?

it certainly seems to me that it’s growing by the year. You used to hear the odd one. Now it’s fully incorporated into their song book.
    Definitely more than in recent years but still far less than 40 odd years ago.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Not sure we’d have this thread had we not pulled the goal back so quickly. A lot of fans headed for the exit as soon as their 2nd went in. If it had stayed that way til half time then I suspect things would’ve got a bit toxic.

But it didn’t & I thought the fans were great throughout the 2nd half in particular. Don’t think I heard the poppy thieves until their twirly nonsense around 88 minutes. They know they got out of jail yesterday.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Not sure we’d have this thread had we not pulled the goal back so quickly. A lot of fans headed for the exit as soon as their 2nd went in. If it had stayed that way til half time then I suspect things would’ve got a bit toxic.

But it didn’t & I thought the fans were great throughout the 2nd half in particular. Don’t think I heard the poppy thieves until their twirly nonsense around 88 minutes. They know they got out of jail yesterday.
    I went out for a fag, never saw anyone leaving? Yes, lots went up the aisles, probably for a piss

Fantastic support from beginning to end and thanks to that support after the game the likes of me at least had something to chuck back at the gloating Jambos leaning out of car windows as they passed me. They might have won the game, but very definitely for all their numerical superiority they were a distant second best inside the stadium.

Unfortunately for all of that and a very gutsy performance by our team the bottom line is that once again we lost a huge game to Hearts and if this club doesn't put a stop to it we can look forward to being part of outnumbered supports for the foreseeable future. I will never give a pass to so called Hibs fans who fail to show for games like yesterday's, but the fact is that a huge reason for that is a club who for 50 years or more have bounced around from all too brief periods of being decent to long periods of mediocrity.

No coincidence that this has paralleled with the increase of tricolours etc being flown in our support. We define them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't help when they wee vans selling merchandise outside the ground were selling tricolours at our end and union jacks at theirs. No doubt will be emptying the rest of their stock at today's bigotfest.

Money to be made in sectarianism it seems.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Doesn't help when they wee vans selling merchandise outside the ground were selling tricolours at our end and union jacks at theirs. No doubt will be emptying the rest of their stock at today's bigotfest.

There was one particular tool down the front of the South strutting about with one on thinking he was some kind of musical conductor.

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post

Saw one of the young team behind the goal with a tricolour that had a picture of the Pope in the middle FFS. I was really hopeful that yesterday was an opportunity to show that, as a pair of clubs, we can rise above the nonsense of the ugly sisters that we often get tarred with. Now, I know it isn’t anything close to being a fraction of what will be going on today, but it was still rather visible at both ends yesterday.