hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by hibsquaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Modern football at the top level requires 11 players fully fit and contributing to the team shape. Scott Allan for all his fancy passes that come off 1 in 10, is like playing with a man down. Start Scott Allan and you'll start on the back foot a few goals down before one of his "goal contributions" finally comes off. Why do you think he only comes on when we are desperate? It's because he's a risk to the shape and function of the team.
    Very good. But we're not at the top level, far from it. And we're further away from it when we play wingers because they're good defensively

2. Log in to remove the advert

He simply isn’t good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    He simply isn’t good enough.

After 5 pages you come out with that cracker!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    Very good. But we're not at the top level, far from it. And we're further away from it when we play wingers because they're good defensively
    Very good. We are playing at the top level in Scotland or did you not realise with your Scott Allan blinkers on!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I would doubt very few people here have played or coached at a high level. Yet there’s a stridency in some posts that suggests some deep expertise we should all defer to.

Criticism is fair enough, but pile on’s denigrating a young player isn’t going to improve their performance
    There’s no denigration going on, only criticism.

You don’t need to have coached or played, at any level at all, to be able to form an opinion on a footballers ability. I’d guess most of us have seen literally tens of thousands of hours of football, plenty enough to see what a good player is. Plenty enough to see what a good midfielder should be doing.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Very similar thread this to the regular Stevenson threads we had on here just over a decade ago. https://www.hibs.net/archive/index.php/t-179234.html

Is Campbell a world beater? No
    Does he have the potential and time to improve? Yes

Once our starters return, Campbell will become an important squad player for us and he can work on developing the weaknesses in his game.
    The Stevenson thread is neither here nor there, it’s irrelevant to this thread about Campbell. Just as irrelevant as comparing it to a Danny Handling thread or a Fraser Murray thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsquaker View Post
    Very good. We are playing at the top level in Scotland or did you not realise with your Scott Allan blinkers on!
    Seems your opinion is that SA is finished, no matter what people say to disprove that myth. I’ll admit I am a massive SA fan. Was delighted when he came on, then he had a few minutes where he was caught in possession & picked up a silly booking. I then questioned, is he done? To his credit, he started to get into the game & had 3 or 4 sublime touches to put us in excellent attacking positions. He is by a country mile, our most talented & creative player. Granted his health issues maybe curtailing him just now, but surely the lack of minutes on the pitch is also a major factor. We don’t look like scoring from midfield with the current selections. I honestly think we will create enough chances with him on the park to score goals. Maverick players like Riorden also, do we really want to see them back defending? Let the defensive midfielders defend, & the creative midfielders attack. Actually can’t believe folk would rather watch us plodding on & hoping to create a goal rather than force the issue with a talented player like SA. The consensus is that we might concede with him starting, but we never look like creating, let alone scoring. Are folk happy with that. Give me an entertaining attack minded team over a defensive minded side every day of the week.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I don’t think any Hibs fan wants players to fail, but it’s about opinions. Campbell is young, although pushing 22 is certainly not like a 18/19 year old raw prospect. IMO, he works very hard for the team, but I’ve no idea what his strengths are. Doesn’t seem to excel at anything? Is he out of position? If so, what is his strongest position. Can’t seem to see what he’d be stronger doing?

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by munchar View Post
    Seems your opinion is that SA is finished, no matter what people say to disprove that myth. I’ll admit I am a massive SA fan. Was delighted when he came on, then he had a few minutes where he was caught in possession & picked up a silly booking. I then questioned, is he done? To his credit, he started to get into the game & had 3 or 4 sublime touches to put us in excellent attacking positions. He is by a country mile, our most talented & creative player. Granted his health issues maybe curtailing him just now, but surely the lack of minutes on the pitch is also a major factor. We don’t look like scoring from midfield with the current selections. I honestly think we will create enough chances with him on the park to score goals. Maverick players like Riorden also, do we really want to see them back defending? Let the defensive midfielders defend, & the creative midfielders attack. Actually can’t believe folk would rather watch us plodding on & hoping to create a goal rather than force the issue with a talented player like SA. The consensus is that we might concede with him starting, but we never look like creating, let alone scoring. Are folk happy with that. Give me an entertaining attack minded team over a defensive minded side every day of the week.
    Excellently put

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Excellently put
    Yep 👍 I agree with pretty much all of that too

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Yep 👍 I agree with pretty much all of that too
    yea agree with all you agreeing cos i defo agree

@hibs.net private member

Regarding the topic of this thread, I don’t think any Hibs fan wants players to fail, but it’s about opinions. Campbell is young, although pushing 22 is certainly not like a 18/19 year old raw prospect. IMO, he works very hard for the team, but I’ve no idea what his strengths are. Doesn’t seem to excel at anything? Is he out of position? If so, what is his strongest position. Can’t seem to see what he’d be stronger doing?

Josh Campbell is a midfield player with energy, a decent technique and can make a tackle without the threat of getting booked all the time, he also in certain games though not recently due to a depleted squad can get into scoring positions, his role in the last few games has been to protect the defence and his positional sense is good. His performances are inconsistent and he makes errors in games but which Hibs players dont.
    Is he in my opinion better than Newell, Doyle-Hayes or Magennis definitely not at this moment in time, he is technically nowhere near Scott Allan but neither are the others but he definitely affects the game more especially off the ball, Henderson is probably the closest heir to Allan but again he flits in and out of the game but it will come as he has a lot of class. The best comparisons to make with Campbell would be Gogic.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    He’s still a young guy and have no doubts he’s been thrown into the acid bath at the moment given our injury crisis.

He simply isn’t ready for the game time he’s currently getting and, had we not had an injury crisis, he’d very likely be on loan at the likes of Kilmarnock or Dunfermline to continue his development. Don’t want to feed him to the Wolves just yet, but he’s miles off what we need in the race for Europe.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

Agree with every word. I struggle to think of a player in all my time watching Hibs (maybe the guy in my avatar) who gets so much focus on what he’s not good at rather than what he excels at. I’d far rather see an out of sorts Scott Allan in the side than Drey Wright, Liam Henderson or the player the OP is about.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    Josh Campbell is a midfield player with energy, a decent technique and can make a tackle without the threat of getting booked all the time, he also in certain games though not recently due to a depleted squad can get into scoring positions, his role in the last few games has been to protect the defence and his positional sense is good. His performances are inconsistent and he makes errors in games but which Hibs players dont.
    Is he in my opinion better than Newell, Doyle-Hayes or Magennis definitely not at this moment in time, he is technically nowhere near Scott Allan but neither are the others but he definitely affects the game more especially off the ball, Henderson is probably the closest heir to Allan but again he flits in and out of the game but it will come as he has a lot of class. The best comparisons to make with Campbell would be Gogic.
    The biggest problem for me with JC is thay he often gives up possession in really dangerous positions. We lost a goal v Livi from it, and the same happened v St J when they really should have scored.

Like most of our midfielders, his natural instinct is to pass the ball sideways or back. Individually that's not the players fault, but it just emphasises that the balance in midfield is way off. I agree with others who are saying that Allan should get a run in the team now. I know we don't have many options due to injuries but we cannot start with the same 11 again this season.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    The biggest problem for me with JC is thay he often gives up possession in really dangerous positions. We lost a goal v Livi from it, and the same happened v St J when they really should have scored.

Like most of our midfielders, his natural instinct is to pass the ball sideways or back. Individually that's not the players fault, but it just emphasises that the balance in midfield is way off. I agree with others who are saying that Allan should get a run in the team now. I know we don't have many options due to injuries but we cannot start with the same 11 again this season.
    I think JC lost the ball against St Johnstone which Scott Allan done almost a mirror version of

For me JC is not a first 11 player but we have very few options in there

He definately has some attributes that suggest he has potential

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    I think JC lost the ball against St Johnstone which Scott Allan done almost a mirror version of

For me JC is not a first 11 player but we have very few options in there

He definately has some attributes that suggest he has potential

Allan losing the ball inside the St Johnstone half with most of the team behind him isn't even close to being a mirror version of Campbell miscontrolling the ball just outside our box then barging over a player in the box and getting lucky the ref never awarded a penalty. Campbell also gave it away just outside our box v Dundee midweek resulting in the best chance of the game for old Charlie Adam. He also did the same V Livvy costing us a goal and also Celtic costing us a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Agree with every word. I struggle to think of a player in all my time watching Hibs (maybe the guy in my avatar) who gets so much focus on what he’s not good at rather than what he excels at. I’d far rather see an out of sorts Scott Allan in the side than Drey Wright, Liam Henderson or the player the OP is about.
    Mallan was very similar in that some people would just focus on his negatives rather than some of the frankly brilliant things he could do in the final third.

I've no problem with players being criticised as long as it is constructive and in the context of the level we are playing at.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Allan losing the ball inside the St Johnstone half with most of the team behind him isn't even close to being a mirror version of Campbell miscontrolling the ball just outside our box then barging over a player in the box and getting lucky the ref never awarded a penalty. Campbell also gave it away just outside our box v Dundee midweek resulting in the best chance of the game for old Charlie Adam. He also did the same V Livvy costing us a goal and also Celtic costing us a goal.
    Allan lost the ball well in our half, almost identical to what Campbell has done previously

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I do think that when you look back to when Doig broke into the team, Jack Ross took him out of the team every so often to protect him and to let him work on the training ground to become a better player.

Since breaking into the first team Campbell has been involved in almost every game. There might not be many options just now but I think the lad may need a bit of a rest and come back fighting.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Allan lost the ball well in our half, almost identical to what Campbell has done previously

No danger I'm watching back any of that turgid game again to check if this happened but if it did it clearly didn't nearly result in a goalscoring opportunity for Saints. So it's not a mirror image of the Campbell error, of which he has made far too many of a similar nature since January.

No danger I'm watching back any of that turgid game again to check if this happened but if it did it clearly didn't nearly result in a goalscoring opportunity for Saints. So it's not a mirror image of the Campbell error, of which he has made far too many of a similar nature since January.
    Was almost on the half way line but it did result in a break into the box which we eventually cleared.

Stevenson can't not make that pass to Campbell because he has to worry about Campbell's pish touch.

At home to St. Johnstone I think we should be playing more Scott Allans than Josh Campbells. Maybe not so against top 6.
    Last edited by KWJ; 07-03-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Was almost on the half way line but it did result in a break into the box which we eventually cleared.

Stevenson can't not make that pass to Campbell because he has to worry about Campbell's pish touch.

At home to St. Johnstone I think we should be playing more Scott Allans than Josh Campbells. Maybe not so against top 6.
    Very good points

Played out of position, always going to struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    Played out of position, always going to struggle.
    What is his position? 🤷🏻
    Last edited by munchar; 07-03-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Looks like brown wants to leave Aberdeen, exactly the kind of player hibs need!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Looks like brown wants to leave Aberdeen, exactly the kind of player hibs need!
    That went well 😃

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    After 5 pages you come out with that cracker!
    Oh sorry mate. How early is the cut off in the thread for providing an opinion?

He's in the Scotland 21 squad. i imagine that will be due to every other youth midfielder in Scotland being rubbish?? Well done to the boy.