Thread: Alex Neil

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar

Alex Neil

Appointed as Manager at Sunderland...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Good luck to him

First Team Breakthrough
    He was mentioned about next hibs Manager and a lot of people turned there nose up against him.. maybe think different now. Sunderland jib bigger than hibs?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was mentioned about next hibs Manager and a lot of people turned there nose up against him.. maybe think different now. Sunderland jib bigger than hibs?
    In every conceivable way. I didn’t fancy him either mind.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Seemed to distance himself out of the Hibs job pretty sharpish - lot of Sunderland chat hints at another “Jack Ross”.

The managerial merry go round - no ones found a good one yet

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I’m 33 followed hibs since I was 5-7 year old my first season ticket we got relegated I saw my uncle and other grown men cry, i love the club more downs following hibs from then but in recent years we’ve won games in championship and the Scottish cup. Got 3rd place I think a lot of people expect that all the time

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    I’m 33 followed hibs since I was 5-7 year old my first season ticket we got relegated I saw my uncle and other grown men cry, i love the club more downs following hibs from then but in recent years we’ve won games in championship and the Scottish cup. Got 3rd place I think a lot of people expect that all the time
    I certainly don't expect Hibs to be anywhere near the championship in what's left of my life.

People just want the club to realise their potential. They have since before your time supporting. There have been understandable blips along the way. The club almost going bust. Sky pulling their money out of the Scottish game. The money being spent on the stadium and training ground. We're at a point where there has never been more investment and the excuses for not achieving are pretty thin.

Some of the teams beating us currently would love to have half our resources.
    Last edited by Wilson; 12-02-2022 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Bigger stadium Bigger support much higher wages and turnover BUT they won't and haven't played in the top league for a long time, unlikely to win anything or play in Europe ever again, but the money makes them more attractive to players and managers

First Team Breakthrough
    2nd choice at Sunderland apparently, after talks with Roy Keane broke down . Good luck to him, he'll need it

Glad he got the Sunderland job as was concerned he’d get the Aberdeen job when Glass is eventually sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Glad he got the Sunderland job as was concerned he’d get the Aberdeen job when Glass is eventually sacked.
    It just goes to show how crazy the modern managerial world is, and ourselves and Aberdeen are classic examples of that at the moment.
    We both have 2 rookies at the helm (massive gambles) because both sets of fans wanted rid of a safe pair of hands.
    I very much doubt Aberdeen in particular will see another period where their team finishes consistently in the top 3.
    I still think Jack was the man to do that for us but we'll never know now, I also wanted Neil or McInnes as his replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    It just goes to show how crazy the modern managerial world is, and ourselves and Aberdeen are classic examples of that at the moment.
    We both have 2 rookies at the helm (massive gambles) because both sets of fans wanted rid of a safe pair of hands.
    I very much doubt Aberdeen in particular will see another period where their team finishes consistently in the top 3.
    I still think Jack was the man to do that for us but we'll never know now, I also wanted Neil or McInnes as his replacement.
    Thats my view word for word.
    Last edited by Since452; 12-02-2022 at 07:45 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Yep. Share that view completely

Completely agree mate, I think it’s the classic case of fans always wanting more and are rarely satisfied. I think Neil plays good football too by all accounts.

I’m hoping (as I’m sure the Hibs board are) that’s over time Maloney gets us 3rd and cup finals relatively consistently whilst playing fast paced attacking football.

In reality though very very few managers in Scotland out-with the old firm have achieved success whilst playing scintillating football for a lengthy period of time.

@hibs.net private member
    Im not sure what’s so crazy about that.

You’re never going to progress as a club by going for the same managers that go around your level of football (Scot Prem, bottom end English Championship/League One in England) doing ok at one club, ***** at the next etc.

Who was the last manager we had that could be called a safe pair of hands that done really well and didn’t end up getting sacked? Possibly McLeish although it even went south for him towards the end.

Mcinnes is probably the closest thing to that in Scottish football yet even he got sacked by Bristol City and has had a dreadful start at Kilmarnock. That’s half his jobs although I appreciate Killie is only just at the beginning.

Likewise, you really need to broaden your horizons in terms of players you sign, or again, you’re going to just hit a glass ceiling in terms of how good you get. It’s good to see us trying something different on both the manager and player front imo as it’s our only chance of getting any better than decent.

And besides, our safe pair of hands ended up being anything but safe towards the end with a dreadful run of form and some absolute car crashes in that run.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 12-02-2022 at 07:43 AM.

He'll be unemployed again in about 9 months if we still fancy giving him a crack then.

He'll need all the luck in the world at that basket case of a club. I hope he gets absolutely none.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Great post

I think the lesson is that, if a manager has given you some success you should make special effort to stick with him. We did the opposite. Aberdeen have shown more patience but still gone for the wrong guy. Look at St Johnstone. Do they sack their manager and take another gamble.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post
    Great post

I think the lesson is that, if a manager has given you some success you should make special effort to stick with him. We did the opposite. Aberdeen have shown more patience but still gone for the wrong guy. Look at St Johnstone. Do they sack their manager and take another gamble.
    If Jack Ross has delivered comparable success to Davidson he’d still be here. That level of success at Hibs would probably have meant winning the league.

Jack Ross getting sacked after finishing third at one of the biggest clubs in the country and then going on an absolute horror run of form isn’t remotely comparable with the success of winning a cup double with a team with one of the smallest budgets in the top tier and then going back to their expected position of battling relegation.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 12-02-2022 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    If Jack Ross has delivered comparable success to Davidson he’d still be here. That level of success at Hibs would probably have meant winning the league.

Jack Ross getting sacked after finishing third at one of the biggest clubs in the country and then going on an absolute horror run of form isn’t remotely comparable with the success of winning a cup double with a team with one of the smallest budgets in the top tier and then going back to their expected position of battling relegation.
    Ross got us to finals and with a bit of luck he'd still be here. It's not all black and white in the real game, luck plays a massive part.
    Ross proved he could win cup games and a cup is all Hibs are ever going to win now, we have no chance of winning the league, especially if we don't back the manager at the first sign of trouble.

I wanted Alex Neil over Maloney and I think we’d have more points on board of that had been the case.

However, get a win tomorrow, some confidence and hopefully we kick on.

@hibs.net private member
    Ross got us to finals and with a bit of luck he'd still be here. It's not all black and white in the real game, luck plays a massive part.
    Ross proved he could win cup games and a cup is all Hibs are ever going to win now, we have no chance of winning the league, especially if we don't back the manager at the first sign of trouble.
    I’m not quite sure I’d have put much of the run that seen Jack Ross sacked down to luck at all tbh. We were dreadful, often deservedly beaten and witnessing shocking results (DU 3-0, RC, Livi) performances (the vast majority of them) and laughable ill discipline (RC and Livi where we had two men sent off twice).

It had become an absolute circus and very little of that was down to luck imo.

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    I wanted Alex Neil over Maloney and I think we’d have more points on board of that had been the case.

However, get a win tomorrow, some confidence and hopefully we kick on.
    Not sure I agree. He could have had less??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Not sure I agree. He could have had less??

I very much doubt it. Neil is pretty clearly a better, safer appointment on paper. Doesn't mean he would've been better, but it leans that way IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I very much doubt it. Neil is pretty clearly a better, safer appointment on paper. Doesn't mean he would've been better, but it leans that way IMO.
    Might lean that way MW but no guarantee!

I think given time SM will do ok!

I know we are struggling a bit in front if husks but I think we will click…. Hopefully before it’s too late though!

Might lean that way MW but no guarantee!

I think given time SM will do ok!

I know we are struggling a bit in front if husks but I think we will click…. Hopefully before it’s too late though!

I very much hope so. I fully support Shaun, but he was undoubtedly an extremely risky appointment mid season. Needs time which he cannot have because we're playing every 3 days. Mowbray and Stubbs would've struggled big time coming into the frying pan right away.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I very much hope so. I fully support Shaun, but he was undoubtedly an extremely risky appointment mid season. Needs time which he cannot have because we're playing every 3 days. Mowbray and Stubbs would've struggled big time coming into the frying pan right away.
    You can see in glimpses at what he’s trying to do but needs the personnel. We are slowly getting there and really hope we see Melkerson soon and he hits the ground running. We desperately need a poacher and I’m hoping he will be it. I know he’s young but fingers crossed.

Without a doubt those 2 would have struggled.

Tbh we were spoilt with the generation Mowbray inherited and the players Stubbs brought in. Stubbs though had a very poor final league campaign it we know what happened after that!

Fans demand immediate success however this we should have kept Ross chat is keek. I can already see signs that SM style will be better.

I’m not quite sure I’d have put much of the run that seen Jack Ross sacked down to luck at all tbh. We were dreadful, often deservedly beaten and witnessing shocking results (DU 3-0, RC, Livi) performances (the vast majority of them) and laughable ill discipline (RC and Livi where we had two men sent off twice).

It had become an absolute circus and very little of that was down to luck imo.
    You can quote individual games till the cows come home, to call it a circus is what's laughable.

The revered Eddie Turnbull had a good 9 years at Hibs, had the internet been around then you'd be lucky if he got 3.

You can see in glimpses at what he’s trying to do but needs the personnel. We are slowly getting there and really hope we see Melkerson soon and he hits the ground running. We desperately need a poacher and I’m hoping he will be it. I know he’s young but fingers crossed.

Without a doubt those 2 would have struggled.

Tbh we were spoilt with the generation Mowbray inherited and the players Stubbs brought in. Stubbs though had a very poor final league campaign it we know what happened after that!

Fans demand immediate success however this we should have kept Ross chat is keek. I can already see signs that SM style will be better.

We don't desperatedly need a poacher, they would struggle terribly on our formation. We need a forward to link play and be involved. Like Nisbet is doing. Doidge is brilliant at scoring the type of goals a poacher does.

I just hate this argument about personnel. Why didn't we find a manager who could work with our current squad, instead of one he might be able to build in 2/3 years. Shaun simply should be doing better with the players he has.

Stubbs didn't really have a very poor final league campaign. He had a poor run of 5 losses. Win those 5, we win that league. We had brutal injuries that season as well.

I hope you're right the style will be better. To me, we're sacrificing a season to maybe be good next season, with a style and plan that might end up being hopeless.

First Team Regular
    Im not sure what’s so crazy about that.

You’re never going to progress as a club by going for the same managers that go around your level of football (Scot Prem, bottom end English Championship/League One in England) doing ok at one club, ***** at the next etc.

Who was the last manager we had that could be called a safe pair of hands that done really well and didn’t end up getting sacked? Possibly McLeish although it even went south for him towards the end.

Mcinnes is probably the closest thing to that in Scottish football yet even he got sacked by Bristol City and has had a dreadful start at Kilmarnock. That’s half his jobs although I appreciate Killie is only just at the beginning.

Likewise, you really need to broaden your horizons in terms of players you sign, or again, you’re going to just hit a glass ceiling in terms of how good you get. It’s good to see us trying something different on both the manager and player front imo as it’s our only chance of getting any better than decent.

And besides, our safe pair of hands ended up being anything but safe towards the end with a dreadful run of form and some absolute car crashes in that run.
    Bumping into the glass ceiling would be progress for Hibs, and its where Hibs were last season.

Nothing Hibs cab realistically do will break through it.

Where Hibs are now is miles away from tye glass ceiling again, 'in transition' and in a weird place where getting back to that glass ceiling will be seen as progress.

Many Hibs fans want the impossible, and that is why they are never happy and Hibs have been permanently in transition for decades.