hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    90's east stand was tremendous. Not sure if that's because I was a youngster and it was new to me but just seemed brilliant.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    90's east stand was tremendous. Not sure if that's because I was a youngster and it was new to me but just seemed brilliant.
    I loved sitting in the east as a teenager, our seats were right under the tv gantry, seemed to be plenty of nutters in there at the time(i was only 14 going on 15 so the guys seemed nuts) and the atmosphere was great. Managed to get one of the old seats from the east, not mine unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    The era from 1985 standing under the east terrace shed until it was seated.
    1986 versus Rangers. Graham Souness sent off.
    Now that wiz a brammer!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by StockholmHibs View Post
    1986 versus Rangers. Graham Souness sent off.
    Now that wiz a brammer!
    There is some grainy footage of that game on youtube, I was in the East terrace that day, sweltering hot and unbelievable atmosphere, oh for the return of those days again

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    There is some grainy footage of that game on youtube, I was in the East terrace that day, sweltering hot and unbelievable atmosphere, oh for the return of those days again
    Some grainy footage in my head of my 18th birthday weekend.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The old east was brilliant with the roof on before the seats went in.

Folk probably complied fairly well initially after the seats went in but after a while everyone just stood in there anyway. I remember reading some book where a guy went to various football grounds, took in a game and commented on the quirks of the day out. When it came to Easter Road and being in the old East it really was quite bizarre when you think about it. Seats provided, but you don't sit on them. When something interesting happens in a part of the pitch that isn't easily seen, everyone stands on the seat in front of them to get a better look. Anyone who has a ticket and is looking for a specific seat is told firmly to gtf. After a goal in a big game you have no idea where you might end up, but minor injuries were part of the experience. A waft of marijuana would go past every so often, some areas being clouded in a permanent fug.

I miss it so much.

Mowbray era was probably the best time to be in there.
    That was definitely it. You genuinely did end up tumbling over several rows of seats if there was a goal against the Jambos or the like, only held upright by the throng of fans. Even when things weren't going great, it was still mental. Remember Chris Hogg leaping up onto the fence to remonstrate with some fans who had been giving the team stick. Happy times!

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Mowbrays by miles.
    I agree .. best since 70s and we had so many of our own - and very good ones also

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    In the cave that day. White hot electric atmosphere that day.

Note the singing of you will never walk alone, the pre Sunshine on Leith anthem.
    https://youtu.be/Cj5CmjB9LaE
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 06-12-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Reading through this thread it seems a majority are selecting single games rather than an era. Using a bit of supposition that might suggest we have always had an issue generating an atmosphere in 'smaller' games regardless of era. Of course there will be times when it is easier to get it going, probably corresponding to us doing well on the park, and others when it is difficult.

I think most people have their era of football. The time they remember most fondly and that clouds their memories. For me it's the mid to late 90s through the early to mid 00s. Hardly a vintage time to be a Hibs fan, a mixed bag you could say, but I loved football then. Hibs home and away, Champions league on ITV midweek, training 3 times a week and playing twice at the weekend....... AEK Athens stands out, a full stand at Starks singing 'championees', trouncing Dundee 5-1, beating Falkirk to all but secure the league with Hibs fans in all 4 stands etc etc. It wasn't the reality though, I remember during the season we finished 3rd Alex McLeish bemoaning our crowds (average just over 10K and well down on the previous season) and asking fans to get behind the team. There were time under Williamson were under 8K was fairly common. I look back on it fondly because it was something of a zenith for me in terms of enjoying football. Now I watch Hibs and that's about it so it's easier to be weary about the whole thing.

I'd argue our most consistent time for atmosphere in my time supporting Hibs was from circa 2016-2018. Since1875 were at their best, crowds were high and there was a buzz about Hibs. There were still quiet days of course but there was a consistent hum about the ground. It's dire just now for a variety of reasons but probably not that far removed from the norm in the last 25-30 years.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    January 1989 Ne Er Day Derby 27200 crammed into the East

Eddie May with a trade mark late run into the box

1-0 to the Hibees

Limbs everywhere

Oh what fun it is to beat the Hearts on New Years Day

The last match I attended with my Dear Old Dad

I can still picture him getting swept away in a sea of green after the ball hit the pokey

I vividly remember walking up towards Easter Road for the first game after they'd finally covered the East Terrace and hearing the noise of the fans from inside the stadium, about 15 minutes before the game had even started.

Both of those were a novelty: Fans arriving early to sing inside the east terrace, and being able to actually hear it from Montgomery St.

It might not sound much today but you had to be around in the times of 5k home crowds and around fifty fans trying to create some noise at the back of a giant, open east terrace to really appreciate the difference it made.