hibs.net Messageboard

Entertainment rating

With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over poor performance, poor entertainment value driving supporter away I though this might be a useful barometer. We do it for individual performances but what about the teams and entertainment value.

For todays game I would rate Hibs performance overall as a 7. Likewise I would give Motherwell a 7, and in terms of the overall entertainment value I would rate it as a 7. FWIW I would also give the last two games a rating of 7 for entertainment.
    So in my book although we're not picking up enough points, the recent performances have been not too bad.

I have been watching Hibs for for over 50 years.

A lot of dross over the period with the notable exception of two seasons of the TT's. Lennon had a few games more recently that were hugely entertaining but he blotted his copybook I guess.

I think the modern game is a lot more patient with building from the back. Obviously that's what Ross is coaching but its up to the players to keep up the tempo during the game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over poor performance, poor entertainment value driving supporter away I though this might be a useful barometer. We do it for individual performances but what about the teams and entertainment value.

For todays game I would rate Hibs performance overall as a 7. Likewise I would give Motherwell a 7, and in terms of the overall entertainment value I would rate it as a 7. FWIW I would also give the last two games a rating of 7 for entertainment.
    So in my book although we're not picking up enough points, the recent performances have been not too bad.

I have been watching Hibs for for over 50 years.

A lot of dross over the period with the notable exception of two seasons of the TT's. Lennon had a few games more recently that were hugely entertaining but he blotted his copybook I guess.

I think the modern game is a lot more patient with building from the back. Obviously that's what Ross is coaching but its up to the players to keep up the tempo during the game.
    I disagree with your last point. It’s as much a managers job as it is a players to ensure the tempo remains high during a game. He should have it absolutely drilled into his players that the tempo should be high always

I think the point the OP makes about modern football is a really pertinent one.

I think a lot of people, particularly older fans just can’t accept it or understand it.

Hibs have had far worse teams and more negative managers.

It is a problem that even some of our younger fans buy into the myth that Hibs are normally like Brazil in the early 70’s and we need to be swashbuckling. Reason that’s a problem is that carefree swashbuckling football isn’t a thing anymore - anywhere.

I’d broadly agree with the OP that it was a 7, maybe 6.5 for ‘entertainment’. I think what most people mean when they say the E word is a commitment to passing football over lump it long, and lots of technical players that are good with the ball at their feet. The second bit I think we do have, the first bit is minimized by the way we play, particularly from the back 3 and the wing backs, where we bypass the midfield and go diagonal long pass to the front players, often Boyle out wide. It’s a low percentage game that sees us lose the ball more than we would if we played it through the phases.

I don’t think we’re necessarily a long ball team but if in doubt, we prefer the long pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I disagree with your last point. It’s as much a managers job as it is a players to ensure the tempo remains high during a game. He should have it absolutely drilled into his players that the tempo should be high always
    A manager can say everything he wants, whether the players do it is another thing.

I mentioned in the summer it will be difficult to keep our standards high when the players know there’s not much competition on the bench.

Since the international break though I think our overall tempo has been decent.

We had 17 shots on goal today. I have been at games where we have had 1 or 2 with none on target.
    There's no doubt it could be better in terms of end product but this team is nowhere near as bad, or dull, as several within my 45 years or so of attending.
    I don't think we have a particularly vocal support these days when it comes to trying to help the team in games other than the bigger ones but am sure that's not unique to us.
    This team are somewhere in the upper middle for me when it comes to playing style.
    What they do have is an incredible record in cup competitions for which they should be, yet rarely are, acknowledged.
    We are two weeks away from yet another trip to the national stadium. These are the occasions which make all the rest worthwhile for me.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I’d broadly agree with the OP that it was a 7, maybe 6.5 for ‘entertainment’. I think what most people mean when they say the E word is a commitment to passing football over lump it long, and lots of technical players that are good with the ball at their feet. The second bit I think we do have, the first bit is minimized by the way we play, particularly from the back 3 and the wing backs, where we bypass the midfield and go diagonal long pass to the front players, often Boyle out wide. It’s a low percentage game that sees us lose the ball more than we would if we played it through the phases.

I don’t think we’re necessarily a long ball team but if in doubt, we prefer the long pass.
    For me a big part of what I enjoy and what I find entertaining is a high tempo and energetic style with lots of movement and people running ahead of the ball. Some will agree, that won’t appeal to others and that’s fine. Last season I felt we would set up not to lose and look to build into the game the longer it went on. Which was successful, but I hoped a means to an end.

This season we play with JDH & Newell who play deep and do their best work closer to our goal than the opposition goal. Add in a back 3 and wing backs in Doig and Cadden who are good athletes and get up and down the park, but are still closer to defenders than wingers. Then you have a lot of players who aren’t particular creative. This means we rely far too heavily on Boyle, Nisbet and maybe one other if that player is Doidge or Magennis. I think the balance of the team has been wrong since Ross arrived. He’s been here long enough now that the two deep midfielders seems to be his preferred style rather than a means to an end. I think results generally won’t ever be my issue with Ross, but how he sees a game and sets up a team, the tempo he wants his team to play at and how many players he wants to run ahead of the ball won’t ever align with how I see football.

This isn’t a bad Hibs team and Ross isn’t a bad manager. However I don’t think this is an exciting Hibs team nor is it ever likely to be under Ross. Which doesn’t mean we won’t have more successful seasons under him like last season, I’ll just probably continue to drift away despite any success.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 05-12-2021 at 07:42 AM.

I thought yesterday's game was entertaining enough. Lacking real quality and, certainly in the case of Hibs, a lot of players who looked low on confidence, but there were plenty chances and half chances.

I thought the start of the 2nd half in particular was good from us and we really were sucker punched. Had we got a second then I think we would have run out comfortable winners. Our tempo was good, we moved the ball well and had chances. After they scored it became a bit of desperation stuff as we needed the win but that brought it's own entertainment. We had more chances, hit the bar and had 2 cleared off the line. For their part Motherwell always looked likely on the break.

Overall though I don't find this Hibs team particularly enjoyable to watch. I know others disagree, we all like different things from our football so that's to be expected. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is because often the stats suggest we have loads of shots and corners which should translate to entertainment. I just feel a lot of our passing is without real purpose and when we are pressed high (think Dundee Utd at home and the 1st half yesterday) we really struggle and it becomes very scrappy and disjointed. That often leads to a lot of long diagonals, many of which are little more than 50/50s.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    We had 17 shots on goal today. I have been at games where we have had 1 or 2 with none on target.
    There's no doubt it could be better in terms of end product but this team is nowhere near as bad, or dull, as several within my 45 years or so of attending.
    I don't think we have a particularly vocal support these days when it comes to trying to help the team in games other than the bigger ones but am sure that's not unique to us.
    This team are somewhere in the upper middle for me when it comes to playing style.
    What they do have is an incredible record in cup competitions for which they should be, yet rarely are, acknowledged.
    We are two weeks away from yet another trip to the national stadium. These are the occasions which make all the rest worthwhile for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    For me a big part of what I enjoy and what I find entertaining is a high tempo and energetic style with lots of movement and people running ahead of the ball. Some will agree, that won’t appeal to others and that’s fine. Last season I felt we would set up not to lose and look to build into the game the longer it went on. Which was successful, but I hoped a means to an end.

This season we play with JDH & Newell who play deep and do their best work closer to our goal than the opposition goal. Add in a back 3 and wing backs in Doig and Cadden who are good athletes and get up and down the park, but are still closer to defenders than wingers. Then you have a lot of players who aren’t particular creative. This means we rely far too heavily on Boyle, Nisbet and maybe one other if that player is Doidge or Magennis. I think the balance of the team has been wrong since Ross arrived. He’s been here long enough now that the two deep midfielders seems to be his preferred style rather than a means to an end. I think results generally won’t ever be my issue with Ross, but how he sees a game and sets up a team, the tempo he wants his team to play at and how many players he wants to run ahead of the ball won’t ever align with how I see football.

This isn’t a bad Hibs team and Ross isn’t a bad manager. However I don’t think this is an exciting Hibs team nor is it ever likely to be under Ross. Which doesn’t mean we won’t have more successful seasons under him like last season, I’ll just probably continue to drift away despite any success.
    Yes I agree with that particular your breakdown of the team and it’s strengths and weaknesses. And what is entertaining for some isn’t entertaining for others; it sounds like you like an up and at em style with early balls using the wingers into the box and lots of goalmouth action, that old school style can work especially if you have quality like Martin Boyle doing the running out wide. These days when people in the media say entertaining football they often mean intricate build up and beautiful passing football and more possession. I think we’re neither of those things, you can’t have wingers bombing up and down in our system because that’s the wingbacks job and you can’t play tikitaka when Doig or Hanlon is hoisting high diagonals (under instruction I’m guessing). So it’s not bad at all, I thought our performance was decent but there’s no clear philosophy.

Anyone know how the pigeon got injured?

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    It wasnt for moving! Dunno why the guy with the bucket didnt just pick it up and take it away

It was flying somewhere over the Forth and Matt Macey hit it with a pass intended for Doig.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Out for six weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It was flying somewhere over the Forth and Matt Macey hit it with a pass intended for Doig.
    That hasn't stopped the Daily Record blaming Porteous.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.