hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (Motherwell 04 12 2021)

A freezing cold afternoon in Leith didn’t stop Hibs and Motherwell from serving up a very entertaining game. Both sides were committed to attack and although only two goals were scored there were numerous occasions to add to that tally. I’ll come to my man of the match award later but before doing so I have to say that for me the best player on the park, by some distance, was Tony Watt. I know he’s been a bit of a football nomad but it’s not the first time he’s stuck out for me in a game against Motherwell. I found myself wishing he was in our green and white rather than the claret and amber of his current club.

There were no surprises in Hibs’ starting line up and inside the first minute they might have taken the lead after Josh Doig sent in an inviting cross that flew just over the head of Martin Boyle. Seconds later, Josh Campbell fired narrowly wide before the visitors had a couple of chances of their own. Kevin van Veen looked certain to score but was denied by an excellent diving block by Paul McGinn and then Watt had his pocket picked just as he shaped to shoot.

The visitors were now having the better of it but had to be on their toes to deny Nisbet a goal as keeper Kelly looked to be struggling before Lamie stepped in to clear the danger. Soon after that, Porteous had a headed effort saved before Motherwell went back on the hunt and following a poor pass back, Cornelius broke through on goal, only to be denied by a fine Macey save.

Motherwell felt they could smell blood and in the space of sixty seconds, Watt had two chances to open the scoring. The first came from a shot which Macey pushed around the post and the second came when Hibs failed to properly clear the corner, allowing van Veen time to centre the ball but Watt’s header was poor and cleared the bar.

Just past the half hour, Hibs took the lead when good play down the right allowed Josh Campbell to send in a low left footed cross which Kevin Nisbet brilliantly steered past Kelly on the half volley. It was a cracking goal and arguably against the run of play as Hibs had been on the back foot for several minutes prior to striking. The visitors were stunned for a few minutes but were soon back on the hunt when van Veen could only find the side netting from a difficult angle. At the other end, Boyle clipped a high looping ball to Nisbet, but Kevin couldn’t generate any pace with his header and Kelly saved easily. Moments later, Slattery was booked for a crude challenge on Boyle and as he had done with every free kick Hibs got in the attacking half, van Veen stood right in front of the taker and each time that went unpunished by the referee. Prior to the half time whistle, Hanlon had a half chance but couldn’t steady himself for a shot and Kelly was able to gather.

The half time interval witnessed the introduction of Chris Mueller to the home fans, and he immediately won acclamation by confirming he had learned the words to Sunshine on Leith and looked forward to singing it after the New Year derby!

Hibs started the second half very much on the front foot and Martin Boyle had a chance to double the lead when set up by Josh Campbell, but the resulting shot flew wide of the target. Campbell himself was next to try his luck but his weak effort was easily dealt with. Chris Cadden then had a go, but his attempt was wide of the mark. Motherwell had been on the back foot but on the hour mark and against the run of play they equalised. From a free kick, van Veen knocked the ball into the path of Mugabi, but that effort was cleared. Picking up on the clearance, Goss lifted the ball back into the area where three Hibs players converged to head clear but that left space at the edge of the box for Tony Watt who beat Macey with a low drive which went in off a post.

That goal stung Hibs into action and in the space of just a couple of minutes, Campbell, Cadden and Nisbet all had chances but were unable to convert them. With twenty minutes left, Jamie Murphy replaced the tiring Chris Cadden and was immediately fouled by Stephen O’Donnell. Moments later he was involved in a move that saw Josh Doig set up Ryann Porteous, but the Hibs central defender saw his attempt at goal blocked. Jake-Doyle Hayes was next to be replaced, Christian Doidge coming on to join Nisbet in attack.

With around a quarter of an hour to go, referee Colin Steven finally booked van Veen when the big Dutchman poked the ball out of Macey’s hands as the keeper looked to throw to a team mate. In another flurry of Hibs attacks, Lamie cleared off the line from a Campbell effort and then Boyle’s low cross was so nearly met by the outstretched leg of Ryan Porteous. A shot from Goss reminded Hibs they needed to take care at the back whilst pushing for a second goal, a goal that was so close to arriving when Josh Campbell crashed a ferocious shot off the crossbar with Kelly well beaten. Next, Slattery at one end and Nisbet at the other saw decent efforts thwarted but try as they might, Hibs could not get a winning goal and so the spoils were shared.

That single point meant Hibs slipped to seventh with Aberdeen overtaking them thanks to a comprehensive 4-1 win against St. Mirren at Pittodrie. It was, of course, disappointing that Hibs didn’t win but I have to say they played well and very well in patches so the booing at the end left me a bit bamboozled.

The players

Macey – Matt had a fine one on one save in the first half with another couple of decent saves as well, but I confess his time in taking goal kicks etc, rips my knitting. In added time today for example, he seemed to take an eternity to launch a free kick into the Motherwell half, wasting precious seconds in the process.

McGinn – Paul made a number of good blocks today with the one denying van Veen in the first half I’d class as excellent. A partnership with Cadden down the right looks to be developing.

Porteous – Ryan was solid for the most part and had little trouble in dealing with van Veen.

Hanlon – With Tony Watt involved in a lot of Motherwell’s forward play, Paul had to be fully alert, and he managed that by and large.

Cadden – Worked very hard and delivered a few decent crosses into the box, one in particular just begging for a touch from a team mate.

Doyle-Hayes – This laddie covers so much ground and clearly has a good engine in him. I know he had a bit of an off patch recently but for me he’s back at it again and looking better every game.

Newell – Works well together with Jake in providing cover for our defence and springing forward when the chance arises. His booking today was warranted, and I suspect Jack Ross took him off later in the game to prevent a second yellow, after Joe had put in a couple of risky challenges.

Campbell – I see the BBC reporter gave Josh man of the match and that’s a good call based on his performance. He came close for my pick too.

Boyle – A quiet first half but much better in the second. Playing wide on the right affords him more of an opportunity to run at defenders and he did that later in the game with two or three decent crosses into the box.

Nisbet – His best performance for a while, I’d say. Full of running, good link up play and an exquisite finish for the Hibs goal. I know some on dot net would happily see him moved on but I’m not in that camp and think he’s at the start of a good run of form, buoyed by the fact that Doidge is now back in action. Kevin wins my man of the match award.

Murphy – Good to see him add an attacking element when he came on. It’s been said many times before but if he can stay fit, he’ll be a huge asset for the remainder of the season.

Doidge – I thought Christian looked off it today and hardly got involved after coming off the bench. I believe he’s suffered an illness this week and that might be a significant factor.

Allan - Scotty wasn’t on long enough to weave any magic.

Jack Ross – I heard his interview and can’t really disagree with what he said. We played well today and so did the visitors, but I still feel we might have edged it had Murphy been given longer off the bench.

Referee – Colin Steven is an odd looking wee individual, and he made a few odd decisions today but apart from him being overly pernickety about exactly where a throw in should be taken from I don’t think he displayed any of the ‘look at me’ signs that the likes of Kevin Clancy and John Beaton do.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Can’t disagree with all of that other than the ref was also very pernickety with the free kicks too and for me Josh Campbell just shaded Motm.
    Im struggling to see how fans are calling this awful. Not vintage but far from awful.
    Last edited by greenlex; 04-12-2021 at 07:50 PM.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can’t disagree with all of that other than the ref was also very persnickety with the free kicks too and for me Josh Campbell just shaded Motm.
    Im struggling to see how fans are calling this awful. Not vintage but far from awful.
    The ones who want JR gone are never going to say we have played well thats the problem

Can’t disagree with all of that other than the ref was also very pernickety with the free kicks too and for me Josh Campbell just shaded Motm.
    I think we’re at the point where people aren’t just judging a game in isolation.

None of the 4 league games since the semi have been awful but when you put it all together, the points return is.

Can only speak for me but there are other factors affecting my enjoyment now as well, mainly the complete lack of buzz around ER.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldot View Post
    The ones who want JR gone are never going to say we have played well thats the problem
    I’ve never really wanted him punted but the football is boring just look at the empty seats but if we persist with players like josh Campbell and joe newel we ain’t going anywhere fast except dropping down the league like a stone.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Not often I disagree with Jonnyboy but I thought our back 3 were dreadful in the first half and very lucky not to concede.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Agree with you on the MoM JB. Kevin looked very good today and it's great to see his form has picked up in recent weeks.

Overall though I'm not as upbeat as you on the team performance. I thought we were ok today but nothing startling.

What particularly annoys me is the way we start games, particularly at home. The opposition always seem to be in command in the first part of the game.

My main take away from today was the number of people who used to come on this thread and slate marciano's distribution all seem to be very quiet about a keeper who can't get the ball to the half way line without it going out of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Not often I disagree with Jonnyboy but I thought our back 3 were dreadful in the first half and very lucky not to concede.
    The first 20 mins they were all over the place. My thoughts were if this was a Derby or a better team we could be 3-0 down.

They improved but I guess with Doig and Porto you have 2 players still learning every week and mistakes happen. I’m not saying it’s their fault but they are relatively inexperienced compared to some.

Campbell pass for the goal and Nisbet finish = quality.

Macey - felt he could have saved the goal if he had got down quicker.

Tony Watt took his goal well but felt he was relatively quiet - good assist scoop 1st half. But Hibs need a player like him or maybe we have one in Allan but just doesn’t get played / doesn’t fit the system.

The most annoying thing about today was how predictable it was. We were maybe fortunate to go 1-0 up but we had to get that 2nd goal. The annoying part was we started the 2nd half well but don’t get it. We had opportunities for goals but couldn’t score a 2nd. Others need to chip in with goals.

The lack of depth and other players contributing is going to cause issues in this run of games. These players are going to burn out / get injured if we don’t freshen things up plus it makes us very predictable to play against.

Testimonial Due
    Great take on the game as ever. I like Watt and agree he'd walk into our team at present. Josh C was my MOM. The physicality of Doig and himself for 2 young boys put the rest to shame. Loved the Campbell body check at a throw in the second half to let Nisbet go free in the other direction. There was a bit of streetwise play today that we haven't seen in a while

First half particularly the defence was dreadful. Only Motherwell's ineptitude in front of goal kept us in the game.I thought McGinn had one of his poorest games for a while and his backpass was a schoolboy error-Macey saving his bacon. Hanlon continually played Doig into trouble with slow passing meaning ball and man arrived together. Hanlon who is good going forward should have taken more responsibility. Motherwell showed how to harass defenders into making mistakes. I think Macey is a good goalie but his kicking is abysmal which is inexcusable really.
    To me Cadden is a steady Eddie. Doesn't do anything really wrong and sometimes puts in a decent ball. We desperately need Boyle back out wide on the right with Doidge and Nisbet together in the middle.Boyle will pull men out of the centre to try and stop him-Cadden doesn't offer that.
    I like Campbell. He has an attitude and won't be pushed around. Great ball for the goal,a shot cleared off the line and one clattering the bar. Can't ask much more from a guy just making his way.The other midfielders seem to be permanently 30 yards deeper than they need to be and were pushed off the ball very easily today. Were not to be seen when the defence was getting the run around in the first half.
    I think our main trouble is that one part of the team plays well one game and next game it's a different part. Consistent inconsistency?Hopefully all parts will hit form at the same time.
    Good to see Nisbet confirming form is temporary,class is permanent.
    Your reports are always thought-provoking. An oasis of sanity.

Campbell’s assist was absolutely fantastic. It’s so much more than a cross into the box for those of you that haven’t yet seen it but read the descriptions.

If Scott Allan made that assist there would be a 5 page thread on it.

Really good run and finish from Nisbet too.

If Macey cant kick the ball properly, why dosent a defender do it instead ??. Used to happen years ago.
    Great report as per usual. Thanks.
    B

Quote Originally Posted by BT58 View Post
    If Macey cant kick the ball properly, why dosent a defender do it instead ??. Used to happen years ago.
    Great report as per usual. Thanks.
    B
    Its not just his goal kicks, its pretty much everytime he kicks the ball, its horrendous

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    First half particularly the defence was dreadful. Only Motherwell's ineptitude in front of goal kept us in the game.I thought McGinn had one of his poorest games for a while and his backpass was a schoolboy error-Macey saving his bacon. Hanlon continually played Doig into trouble with slow passing meaning ball and man arrived together. Hanlon who is good going forward should have taken more responsibility. Motherwell showed how to harass defenders into making mistakes. I think Macey is a good goalie but his kicking is abysmal which is inexcusable really.
    To me Cadden is a steady Eddie. Doesn't do anything really wrong and sometimes puts in a decent ball. We desperately need Boyle back out wide on the right with Doidge and Nisbet together in the middle.Boyle will pull men out of the centre to try and stop him-Cadden doesn't offer that.
    I like Campbell. He has an attitude and won't be pushed around. Great ball for the goal,a shot cleared off the line and one clattering the bar. Can't ask much more from a guy just making his way.The other midfielders seem to be permanently 30 yards deeper than they need to be and were pushed off the ball very easily today. Were not to be seen when the defence was getting the run around in the first half.
    I think our main trouble is that one part of the team plays well one game and next game it's a different part. Consistent inconsistency?Hopefully all parts will hit form at the same time.
    Good to see Nisbet confirming form is temporary,class is permanent.
    Your reports are always thought-provoking. An oasis of sanity.
    Best write up of a game I've seen on here. Well done Sir 👍

I thought the ref was good yesterday. I can't think of much he got wrong. I don't even mind refs being pernickety about throw ins and free kicks being taken from the right place.

What does get on my nerves is the inconsistency. On Wednesday we had Beaton and his linesman watch Allan McGreggor take a free kick fully 20 yards further forward than where it should have been with no apparent interest shown. Today Steven was getting all worked up and whistle happy about 2 yards.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I thought the ref was good yesterday. I can't think of much he got wrong. I don't even mind refs being pernickety about throw ins and free kicks being taken from the right place.

What does get on my nerves is the inconsistency. On Wednesday we had Beaton and his linesman watch Allan McGreggor take a free kick fully 20 yards further forward than where it should have been with no apparent interest shown. Today Steven was getting all worked up and whistle happy about 2 yards.
    The annoying one was when tony watt tripped himself up just outside the box, right in front of the assistant and they gave motherwell a free kick, apart from that i dont think he done much wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Yes, they looked lethargic and a bit knackered, but played a lot better second half.

Was just a really slow start with not many players able to pass a ball and agree with the defence really slow but great tackle from Mcginn to redeem himself.

Boyle is much better on the right but I like what Cadden can bring with the good engine and the occasional really good cross.

Can't wait for 90 mins again of Doidge and Nisbet.

First Team Breakthrough
    Just caught the highlights
    Great goal and smashing shot from Campbell.
    Think Macey could have done better with their goal.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Thanks for posting Jonnyboy and filling in the blanks as I fell asleep three times watching yesterday’s game 🤔

We aren't playing badly at the moment. Over the last 5 games since the Covid outbreak I've been pleasantly surprised. We just aren't catching the breaks.

@hibs.net private member
    Great & well-balanced report. I would only add that there were a few hairy moments in the first half and I did wonder if Ryan Porteous was channelling his inner Efe Ambrose on more than one occasion.

As people have said on the Entertainment thread, I'm not one of those who finds these games dull or boring. It was an interesting tactical battle, although one I'd been much happier if we'd won. Creating enough chances has been my main concern of late, and we got to a better place in the second half but somehow failed to convert. Frustrating, but not dull - for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    We aren't playing badly at the moment. Over the last 5 games since the Covid outbreak I've been pleasantly surprised. We just aren't catching the breaks.
    It’s nothing to do with breaks. Lack of quality at both ends of the park. Can’t keep the ball out and not enough players capable of scoring a goal. Not a great combination.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It’s nothing to do with breaks. Lack of quality at both ends of the park. Can’t keep the ball out and not enough players capable of scoring a goal. Not a great combination.
    I know folk will be on to defend the 3 CHs and im a fan of porteous but if all 3 were replaced in january or the summer i dont think it would be a bad thing

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Campbell’s assist was absolutely fantastic. It’s so much more than a cross into the box for those of you that haven’t yet seen it but read the descriptions.

If Scott Allan made that assist there would be a 5 page thread on it.

Really good run and finish from Nisbet too.
    it was an absolutely beautiful ball. Not a cross in traditional terms, it was an exquisite pass and a great finish.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Agree with you on the MoM JB. Kevin looked very good today and it's great to see his form has picked up in recent weeks.

Overall though I'm not as upbeat as you on the team performance. I thought we were ok today but nothing startling.

What particularly annoys me is the way we start games, particularly at home. The opposition always seem to be in command in the first part of the game.
    Totally agree so passive it is unreal