hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Block 7"?

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the club was founded by Irish people escaping the forced famine from the British state. Many of these desendants still follow Hibs. The IRA arose again after British soldiers killed 14 unarmed protesters. Not condoning the IRA or having their songs sung at ER. But Hibs have strong links to Ireland's fight for independence- James Connolly being a case in point.

So you're not condoning it but you're excusing it?

Anybody singing that crap at ER can take a hike.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    But the club was founded by Irish people escaping the forced famine from the British state. Many of these desendants still follow Hibs. The IRA arose again after British soldiers killed 14 unarmed protesters. Not condoning the IRA or having their songs sung at ER. But Hibs have strong links to Ireland's fight for independence- James Connolly being a case in point.
    No no no no no no no no no.

We were founded by Irish migrants, thats where our ties to Ireland stop and our roots in Leith and Edinburgh begin, and are the most important part of our history.

If these wee fannies are going to lob flares on to the pitch and sing ***** like that they can GTF as far as I'm concerned.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

I have a huge interest in Irish history and the history of the Irish diaspora. I am fascinated by, and have some strong opinions on, the politics of the 6 counties. My daughters name was even inspired in part by a lady who had a very famous song, often sung by Celtic fans, written about her.

I don't really have any inclination to sing about that at a football match though. I'm proud of Hibs history and it should be integral to our identity but that doesn't translate to singing songs about the Republican movements of the 1900s through the 20s or the resurgent movement of the 70s onwards. The latter is quite frankly nothing to do with Hibs.

As for the display I thought the banner was funny. I had no idea what the flags and cards were supposed to say at the game though. Looking at the pictures above I've still not got a clue. I assume it's supposed to be HFC but you'd need the Rosetta Stone to figure it out.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I think it's important the new group don't get the same treatment from supporters as previous groups have whereby blame for anything bad that happens at a game is automatically laid at their door (bottle lobbed on and fan jumping the fence vs. Rangers a few years ago).

The songs last night were out of order and luckily didn't get enough traction to be heard more than a section either side of 43, but they are young guys so hopefully that'll be the last time they try to start them - if no one else joins in (which they won't) then they'll not last very long in the songbook. They've been getting some airtime at away games this season from a small bunch of fans but usually get shut down quickly.

The flare being lobbed on is another matter and it appears the group have distanced themselves from that incident on Twitter and denied any involvement. They'll catch the person responsible but important to remember Section 43 of the East (and seats surrounding) is much greater in number than those part of Block Seven - easy to lay the blame on those guys for anything that happens at that end of the stand but we're talking about 1000+ people in that area of the ground which tends to attract those that want to sing/stand etc in big games.

Fair play to them for putting in the hours to pull together their first display, and for largely being the only noise in the stadium last night. Like anything new there will be things to learn and hopefully we give them the time to get it right. But important they - and other Hibs fans - cut out the IRA stuff quickly.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Most Hibs fans don’t require lecturing about the history of our club. We are all well versed in the topic thanks.

Ffs.

Thought the display was good and it was what it was intended to be just the HFC.

Not sure about throwing flares on the pitch though.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    That flare cost us the momentum, which ultimately might have cost us 3 points. Coupled with the IRA songs, means I won't be donating to any fundraising requests this group have in the future, until they clean up their act considerably. Shame, as I had donated to the previous groups in the past.
    Stupid name (basically a cheap copy of the olympiakos fascist group) and now the IRA songs however, lead me to think that it's a silly wee group of boys running this group, who don't understand the implications of what they are saying and doing
    Agree with this, even bought the t-shirt!

Hopefully they can up their game as they are really welcome if they can :agree

Edit: just to add, I don't mind the name, the guys just need be to big enough to put their own stamp on it and own it from a Hibs perspective.
    Last edited by Just Alf; 02-12-2021 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    So you're not condoning it but you're excusing it?

Anybody singing that crap at ER can take a hike.
    Yup. I'm confident that it won't but the day that songs about the IRA become more prevalent at Easter Road, is the day I'll jack it in.

If I wanted to be subjected to that kind of nonsense I'd buy a season ticket at Parkhead.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
    English Premiership grounds are full every week...
    That's crap Southampton v LLeicester the other day was 6K short of a sell out & there are plenty others.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    There is ample scope to commemorate and celebrate our roots and our past and present without singing the old party songs. That’s a pastime that’s firmly a thing of the past and simply gives others on all sides, even ours, something else to get outraged about.

@hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar
    Looks like we finally have a topic our support agrees with. Never thought I would see the day.