hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Gravy Train For Heroes?

Sir David Gray, McGregor and then Hanlon and Stevenson.

All loved. All sitting on long contracts now, despite diminishing performance levels.

Shouldn’t we be looking for tomorrow’s heroes?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Why don't we just take them round the back of the stand and put them out their misery, all these old ****ed cart horses are no good nowadays. Or we can look at it in another way and keep thoroughly top pros at the club and let the youngsters learn from them. Gray is now a coach, Lewis has worked well with young Doig andHanlon is just 31(yes you read right, just 31). Never heard so much friggin negativity from so called supporters.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Lewis Stevenson is on a long contract? He’s only been given a contract for the season after this one.

Paul Hanlon is our club captain as has been given 2 seasons after this one. He has had a drop in form this season but last season he was part of our best league defensive performance in 2 decades.

We've already got a Hanlon new contract thread and Stevenson new contract thread, why create another thread? And SDG has retired from playing, hadn't you noticed?

Plus, since when was 18 months a long contract?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

All loved. All sitting on long contracts now, despite diminishing performance levels.

Perfect user name!

May be stating the obvious here but I don’t think judas really places much value on loyalty.

First Team Breakthrough
    Someone's desperate for attention.

Not for to say how Ron spends his money

Shut the doors

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    Not for to say how Ron spends his money
    It’s the fans money, not Ron’s, I’m happy Paul and Lewis have got longer contracts
    Think the ones offered to Gray and McGregor were excessive though

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Why don't we just take them round the back of the stand and put them out their misery, all these old ****ed cart horses are no good nowadays. Or we can look at it in another way and keep thoroughly top pros at the club and let the youngsters learn from them. Gray is now a coach, Lewis has worked well with young Doig andHanlon is just 31(yes you read right, just 31). Never heard so much friggin negativity from so called supporters.
    I certainly agree that if there is a genuine coaching vacancy within the club, then it makes sense to give it to one of our own great men.

My concern is that a club with a tight squad and budget isn’t moving on.

Your comments about shooting them are churlish. No one doubts the greatness of these players and the doors to the club will be open free gratis.

But the club must look to the future with more focus. It is a failure of management to rely too much on ageing players.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I certainly agree that if there is a genuine coaching vacancy within the club, then it makes sense to give it to one of our own great men.

My concern is that a club with a tight squad and budget isn’t moving on.

Your comments about shooting them are churlish. No one doubts the greatness of these players and the doors to the club will be open free gratis.

But the club must look to the future with more focus. It is a failure of management to rely too much on ageing players.
    You make interesting points, but only David Gray could do the Academy role, rest are all playing still

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Where's the happy clappers when you need them 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Where's the happy clappers when you need them 😁
    You're here.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Perfect user name!
    Beat me to it

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Liverpools success was built on promoting from within. Continuity within the club is more likely to build a stable platform and be able to then move forward,. Makes us more attractive in my book.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I once said that McGregor was only good for the glue factory after a dreadful performance a couple of seasons ago and he's proven me wrong multiple times since then. Happy to see all 3 remain in the playing squad for a year or 2 more.

Steve Keans first job

We can't just keep handing out contracts to guys because they won the SC 5 years ago, that could go on indefinitely and would be total madness.

We aren't doing that though. Very few people in senior positions at the club were around in 2016 so they are making decisions based on football and business, not sentiment. Lewis and Paul are both still contributing on the park hence the new contracts. At the time both Gray and McGregor were doing likewise albeit I did think the length of contracts was excessive. One is now retired and the other has had his last playing contract from Hibs.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I once said that McGregor was only good for the glue factory after a dreadful performance a couple of seasons ago and he's proven me wrong multiple times since then. Happy to see all 3 remain in the playing squad for a year or 2 more.
    Think McGregor’s time as a player is up. Bit different with him being 36 in comparison to Hanlon and even Stevenson. David Gray obviously retired relatively young but it was clear for a year or two that his body was letting him down. Hanlon and Stevenson certainly don’t have that problem, even if I’m not entirely convinced about them on the pitch.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Wouldn’t have it any other way. Legends

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    We can't just keep handing out contracts to guys because they won the SC 5 years ago, that could go on indefinitely and would be total madness.

We aren't doing that though. Very few people in senior positions at the club were around in 2016 so they are making decisions based on football and business, not sentiment. Lewis and Paul are both still contributing on the park hence the new contracts. At the time both Gray and McGregor were doing likewise albeit I did think the length of contracts was excessive. One is now retired and the other has had his last playing contract from Hibs.
    I’m yet to be convinced this is true. We are probably too loyal to certain players based on cup final win. I understand why we are loyal to them but to be a progressive club, we need to move with the times.

Left by mutual consent!

Of course we should, as a pal said to me today it's as if we're running a retirement home.
    We must start to look forward and get fresh blood in the door.
    I'm not convinced we have kicked on from May 2016.
    Last season was good but no better than that with no Hearts and the Dons in decline.
    Our performances v St Johnstone at Hampden were pitiful.

Club can’t do right for doing wrong for some at the moment. Two players who are still doing a good job for the club given extended contracts, both players well documented to be a hugely positive influence at the training ground, both players have been there and done it for Hibs from winning cups to dealing with relegation.

People acting like these contracts mean Jack Ross has just handed them both a starting place for the duration of their deals - Lewis has already proven to be an able deputy when required, Paul will be the same if and when we replace him with someone better.
    Last edited by Daniel 1875; 17-11-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Look at me bus for bores?

Lewis Stevenson is well worth another year. Club legends should be treated as such and he more than still plays his part.

I've seen some nonsense posted on this board.

But implying that those club legends, who have done so much for us on and off the pitch, are now just here to do nothing but fill their pockets is taking it to a new level.

Coaching Staff
    ‘promoting from within’ to non playing roles is something that enhances team spirit.

If a player feels that the club is not going to just discard him onto the scrap heap when he passes his best, he is more likely to continue to show loyalty in his best years.

Obviously, there is a cost/risk to retaining aging players, but there is also a cost/risk to bringing in new ones, who may not perform to the same level.

It’s a marginal decision either way for me, so I’ve got no complaints.

Players will come, players will go…..and that will still continue

Left by mutual consent!

Totally agree. These resources really could be used to improve the squad for the next few years.

I really don't get these sentimentality contracts for something that happened 5.5 years ago. It really is time to move on from these players.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    I've seen some nonsense posted on this board.

But implying that those club legends, who have done so much for us on and off the pitch, are now just here to do nothing but fill their pockets is taking it to a new level.
    Agree it is nonsense both are more than able to contribute to the team squad. Decent employers recognise the fantastic service exceptional employees have given and continue to give to the club. Good move.

Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    Totally agree. These resources really could be used to improve the squad for the next few years.

I really don't get these sentimentality contracts for something that happened 5.5 years ago. It really is time to move on from these players.
    Sentimental contracts??

Both have loads to give both on and off the pitch and I’m more than happy for them and it’s deserved.

Your comment about something that happened 5.5 years ago tells me everything I need to know. It was more than something but something did happen in 2012! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk