hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcastle

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The Saudi Public Investment Fund that now owns 80% of NUFC shares is worth £315 Billion".
    £315 billion.
    £315,000,000,000.
    thats just an astonishing figure.
    Is that even a real number?

It's just meaningless when the figures are in the hundreds of billions. What does that even mean? You can't relate it to the real world.

It's like when astrophysicists say the universe of 92 billion light years across. You can't quantify it in your mind. It's too vast to appreciate the scale.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    City will be their main competitors. It’s the likes of Liverpool and United who may end up falling away.
    United have financial power to match City. They have spent silly amounts without their owners putting in a penny. They're going nowhere.

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post

It's just meaningless when the figures are in the hundreds of billions. What does that even mean? You can't relate it to the real world.

It's like when astrophysicists say the universe of 92 billion light years across. You can't quantify it in your mind. It's too vast to appreciate the scale.
    Aye it is difficult to appreciate the scale when discussing billions.

I remember seeing somewhere that a million seconds is 12 days and a billion seconds is 32 years. Pretty irrelevant to the discussion but in terms of scale, I think it shows Newcastle new found wealth is unbelievable.

The problem for Newcastle is that all the best players are at the likes of PSG, Man City, Chelsea etc. Are Newcastle going to be as attractive a proposition as one of those other super rich clubs if a player was offered the same money?

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The problem for Newcastle is that all the best players are at the likes of PSG, Man City, Chelsea etc. Are Newcastle going to be as attractive a proposition as one of those other super rich clubs if a player was offered the same money?
    No, but when they stick an extra zero on the end they'll quite happily move in next door to Ant or Dec.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    They’ll just offer more. A lot more if it takes it.

Messi didn’t go to PSG to see Paris.

Money grabbers gonna grab the money wherever it takes them!

But the same question was asked about Chelsea and Man City when they were taken over. If you pay the top players and managers enough, they will come. Newcastle will have no problem attracting the best.; it's a big club with a great stadium and a passionate support. All the ingredients are there.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 07-10-2021 at 06:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Utterly depressing what “top” level football has become. Some supporters celebrating being taken over by a horrendous regime. Success at any cost.

Soulless. Hibs will forever mean more than Man City, PSG and Newcastle combined.

It’s mad isn’t it? Makes you question what money is. A representation of human labour and endeavour? If so, the Saudis have worked damn hard over the years

Another good way of looking at those crazy numbers is the £300 million investment in NUFC is only 0.1% of the total wealth of that fund. (Please excuse me if I’ve got a zero wrong there but even if so it’s still mind blowing)
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 07-10-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Hibs will forever mean more than Man City, PSG and Newcastle combined.
    Finally we agree

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    yeah ok, maybe missed the point. I’m not at it or anything like you’re implying though.

Seems to be a touchy subject for some reason. I’m pretty pleased for Newcastle if anything.
    As I said to my pal this afternoon I preferred it when they were all whiney with the occasional tears at the end of season. Don't really care though, if it wasn't Newcastle it would be some other club. That league is a circus.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kato; 07-10-2021 at 07:04 PM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Wonder how much MA made out of his time with Newcastle.

@hibs.net private member
    Always liked Newcastle. Nice city Good luck to them.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    They’ll need to do what Man City did and start of paying over the odds for good players who are high profile, but not the elite players. Like Robinho and Elano etc. That will take them up several levels, then keep shopping in a slightly better market each year as they start to compete at the top end. Soon they will then be shopping in the same market as all the other elite clubs.

For as questionable as the Man City owners are, and the vast money they have thrown at it, they have actually done quite a good job of getting to where they are today through a structured plan. The other way to do it is just to change manager every 5 minutes and throw ever more money at it, but that only seems to work for Chelsea.

@hibs.net private member
    So if Newcastle offer £40-£50 million for SJM should we turn down the sell on fee seems it’s morally wrong and dirty money??

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    So if Newcastle offer £40-£50 million for SJM should we turn down the sell on fee seems it’s morally wrong and dirty money??
    I think that would be an amazing thing to do. The type of stance that might inspire others to make a stand as well. A potential pivotal moment.

It’s mad isn’t it? Makes you question what money is. A representation of human labour and endeavour? If so, the Saudis have worked damn hard over the years

Another good way of looking at those crazy numbers is the £300 million investment in NUFC is only 0.1% of the total wealth of that fund. (Please excuse me if I’ve got a zero wrong there but even if so it’s still mind blowing)
    What a world. Many families in the north-east of England are worried that their twenty quid per week Universal Credit is about to end. Meanwhile, just down the road, a Saudi guy turns up with 315 billion.

What a world. Many families in the north-east of England are worried that their twenty quid per week Universal Credit is about to end. Meanwhile, just down the road, a Saudi guy turns up with 315 billion.
    Next season - no electricity and living on whelks and turnips, cheering on some charismaless striker earning 400,000 a week.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I think that would be an amazing thing to do. The type of stance that might inspire others to make a stand as well. A potential pivotal moment.
    And about as likely to happen as Hibs winning the Champions League. Money talks and principles go out the window.

@hibs.net private member
    And about as likely to happen as Hibs winning the Champions League. Money talks and principles go out the window.
    Hence he reason I said it would be amazing.

Hence he reason I said it would be amazing.
    In the immortal worlds of Don Logan in Sexy Beast, "I find this astonishing. You're amazing; this is astounding"

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    They won't be able turn them into PSG as the world's best players, in particular those from South America and southern Europe, won't want to live in Newcastle.

It's one thing chucking loads of money at a guy who's already earning a fortune to come and live and work in Paris, it's another thing entirely to get them to Gateshead.

It’s a good point and one that Newcastle have faced before. They struggle to compete with Manchester and London.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

@hibs.net private member
    I do wonder if this will ever go tits up on the end for the rich clubs owned by billionaires, I kept thinking this for years but don't see it coming anytime soon.

Coaching Staff
    The gated millionaires communities of Darras Hall in Newcastle or around Cheshire in the NW are no different to the gated communities in Hertfordshire for the London based players. And Newcastle has VIP room clubs and (almost) Michelin star restaurants too. They’ll go where the big salaries are being paid.
    Correct

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Julio Geordio managed it.
    He was a gentleman and a scholar though.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Went to the stadium today and the atmosphere was unbelievable. People are still at the stadium now.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    United have financial power to match City. They have spent silly amounts without their owners putting in a penny. They're going nowhere.
    Silly amounts without winning a thing for years. Chelsea have been a lot more successful, throw Newcastle into the mix and they are looking fourth best of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AliboyFC View Post
    Went to the stadium today and the atmosphere was unbelievable. People are still at the stadium now.
    Exciting time for the club. They have wanted Ashley gone for a long time, to replace him with some of the richest people in the world must be amazing. Knowing you will probably watch the best players in the world join your club and success along to go with it, very exciting. Always liked Newcastle, a passionate support and a city I very much enjoy visiting. Wish them all the best.

Take Man City as an example, they went from the likes of Paul Dickov to Sergio Aguero. Money and ambition says a lot. Youngsters in 5 years time will happily join Newcastle if they have a lot of money and showing ambition to win the biggest trophies.