hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcastle

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whit???? I must have missed that episode of Dallas.
    At South Fowak.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Nah. If you are fan of your club it will always be in your heart, who owns it is largely irrelevant.

Fans of clubs like ours like to claim it almost as a badge of honour that we are more "real" clubs and these big and successful clubs are just a business.

If you're from Liverpool and have stood in the Kop for 30 years, or you're from Collyhurst and have had a seat in the Stretford end your whole life then your club is as much yours as Hibs are to us.

We are now owned by an American born in Peru whilst previously we were owned by a born and bred Leither. When the change happened it never impacted on how I felt about Hibs one bit.
    Exactly. It's easy for people to take the moral high ground when we're unlikely to be put in the position that Newcastle or Man Utd fans have been. All this stuff about "not their club anymore" is nonsense IMO.

Also it's a bit rich for people to expect the Premier League not to deal with the likes of MBS when the governments of the UK and U.S. seem to have no qualms doing so.

Absolutely buzzing for this. Having lived in Newcastle for the last 7 years, and supporting the team, this is huge not only for the club, but for the fans and people of Newcastle.

The club for too long has been a farce, shackled to the absolute goon that Mike Ashley is, suffering through seasons of underwhelming teams led by pretty useless managers (one or two aside), who have been even further limited by the lack of investment from the owner.

It's not even just been the footballing product that has been impacted, it's been the facilities, the operations, the general atmosphere which have all been so negatively impacted and regressed during Ashley's dreadful tenure, whilst rivals kick on and develop as modern football clubs.

Newcastle fans aren't asking for their club to be the next Man City or PSG, they just want their club back. But watching Mbappe every weekend wouldn't hurt 😁

To any fellow Newcastle fans, I hope we've got the cans at the ready!

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    And now they all belong to investors.
    They no longer really exist.
    They are just nasty corporations with a Man Utd and Liverpool face on the front.
    The supporters are now customers and they can never ever afford to get their club back.
    They can see images of it dressed up like their former club , they can visit it for a price, but they can't have it back...........ever!
    This is the scottish equivalent of English fans saying their nan could score in our league.

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Absolutely buzzing for this. Having lived in Newcastle for the last 7 years, and supporting the team, this is huge not only for the club, but for the fans and people of Newcastle.

The club for too long has been a farce, shackled to the absolute goon that Mike Ashley is, suffering through seasons of underwhelming teams led by pretty useless managers (one or two aside), who have been even further limited by the lack of investment from the owner.

It's not even just been the footballing product that has been impacted, it's been the facilities, the operations, the general atmosphere which have all been so negatively impacted and regressed during Ashley's dreadful tenure, whilst rivals kick on and develop as modern football clubs.

Newcastle fans aren't asking for their club to be the next Man City or PSG, they just want their club back. But watching Mbappe every weekend wouldn't hurt 😁

Is this really giving them their club back?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    If they think Ashley didn’t listen to them, I’m not sure recent history suggests complaining about Prince MBS is a wise thing to do…

'Jamal Khasshogi' sounds really amusing in a Geordie accent. Try it a few times yourself. not as good as 'Kawasaki' does though.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Yes.

Nah. If you are fan of your club it will always be in your heart, who owns it is largely irrelevant.

Fans of clubs like ours like to claim it almost as a badge of honour that we are more "real" clubs and these big and successful clubs are just a business.

If you're from Liverpool and have stood in the Kop for 30 years, or you're from Collyhurst and have had a seat in the Stretford end your whole life then your club is as much yours as Hibs are to us.

We are now owned by an American born in Peru whilst previously we were owned by a born and bred Leither. When the change happened it never impacted on how I felt about Hibs one bit.

We're all pretty keen to go and accept the hospitality of Qatar next year. I believe their human rights record is not much to write home about. It's maybe not as bad as selling out to the Saudi billionaires but it's in the vicinity.

As far as I know, Ron doesnt order prominent journalists to be murdered and dismembered. Thats Crown Prince Bin Salman im thinking of. Big difference between the two.

Yes.
    You sure? seems to me like a journalist killing nutter is buying it, I don't think they're getting anything back.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    It’s obviously a slow news day, the amount of coverage Sky are giving this is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    As far as I know, Ron doesnt order prominent journalists to be murdered and dismembered. Thats Crown Prince Bin Salman im thinking of. Big difference between the two.
    What an utterly weird response to a post discussing how fans of big clubs are perceived.

Very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    We're all pretty keen to go and accept the hospitality of Qatar next year. I believe their human rights record is not much to write home about. It's maybe not as bad as selling out to the Saudi billionaires but it's in the vicinity.
    There are places I will not got as a matter of principle.
    Easter Road would be another one if these animals bought us.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar

Will it no be bottles of Newci broon 😉😁
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    A takeover like this of Hibs certainly wouldn’t be my cup of tea. I think we’d lose something very special forever and despite what some people here say, it really would affect how I perceived my club.

but that’s just me. Newcastle fans seem happy enough, who’s anyone else to tell them how they should feel about it.

Would you swap winning the CL for 2016 scottish cup win?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Slippy G favourite to be their next manager. That would be funny
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Would you swap winning the CL for 2016 scottish cup win?
    That's like asking would you swap your ten year old Volvo for a brand new Bugatti. Let me think aboot it...
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

What an utterly weird response to a post discussing how fans of big clubs are perceived.

Very odd.
    You were making the case that Ron's Peruvian nationality while being the owner of our club, makes no difference to how you feel about Hibs.
    The thread is about the Saudi takeover of Newcastle, and the effective leader now being bin Salman.
    I am making the case that the former individual is very different from the latter individual, (and therefore it went unspoken that you drawing any parallel between the two, which you were doing, was a bit daft).
    ...and you of course you knew that fine well.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Watching SSN and their fans all seem delighted.

They’re talking about having their club back, the complete opposite of selling its soul.

MA was holding them back, it must have been grim the last 14 years.

It’s not the fans fault who bought the club. Let them enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Speak for yourself. I think it's morally bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Looks like Saudi Arabia have managed to get a workaround on a potential takeover by naming a consortium as the "official" owners.

This could easily turn Newcastle into the next PSG, but the ethical implications are pretty nauseating.
    They might need to buy them out the English Championship if they don't start getting results

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Watching SSN and their fans all seem delighted.

They’re talking about having their club back, the complete opposite of selling its soul.

MA was holding them back, it must have been grim the last 14 years.

It’s not the fans fault who bought the club. Let them enjoy it.
    The Chronicle down there ran a poll and the support for the project last year just before the bid collapsed was well into the 90%s.
    I think that says a lot about how desperate they are to get shot of Ashley, but its still a massive why aye from them.

You were making the case that Ron's Peruvian nationality while being the owner of our club, makes no difference to how you feel about Hibs.
    The thread is about the Saudi takeover of Newcastle, and the effective leader now being bin Salman.
    I am making the case that the former individual is very different from the latter individual, (and therefore it went unspoken that you drawing any parallel between the two, which you were doing, was a bit daft).
    The post was about big and successful clubs and how their fans are sometimes looked down upon by fans of smaller and less successful clubs.

I'm not sure anyone would consider Newcastle successful.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 07-10-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Slippy G favourite to be their next manager. That would be funny
    Hopefully isn't before we pump them out the cup.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Hopefully isn't before we pump them out the cup.
    Bookies favourite

The post was about big and successful clubs and how their fans are sometimes looked down upon by fans of smaller and less successful clubs.

I'm not sure anyone would consider Newcastle successful, but you needed to shoehorn the beheading into the debate anyway.
    'shoehorn' Its front and centre of the discussion. Amnesty International have the takeover on their website. Even US intelligence has said the new de facto owner of NUFC ordered the beheading and dismembering of an award winning journalist. It wouldnt be such a story otherwise.

Edit-ooo nice wee edit there. Clearly decided against 'shoehorn'.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    You mentioned Amnesty International’s view on this. Have you checked out their take on Hezbollah? Can’t really be picky-choosy about human rights!

If the Peruvian govt started getting up to horrible things, would it bother you in the slightest that RG was born there?

Should Hibs be punished if at some point in the future the president of Peru orders the killing of a journalist?