hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nathan Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I couldn't care less but it's quite poor from Middlesbrough sending him to a club where he is unlikely to play. If we've got a good player on the bench waiting to come on then that's all im really bothered about but if i was a Middlesbrough fan i'd be asking a few questions of Warnock especially with them toiling by the looks of it.
    Yup.

Middlesbrough would have asked about potential game time and looked at how likely that was to happen. They still sent Wood to us and not somewhere he'd have been playing regularly.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Yup.

Middlesbrough would have asked about potential game time and looked at how likely that was to happen. They still sent Wood to us and not somewhere he'd have been playing regularly.
    If it was an issue for them then they will have put a fee into the contract for every game he doesn’t play. Fairly common where clubs expect the player to play.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    If it was an issue for them then they will have put a fee into the contract for every game he doesn’t play. Fairly common where clubs expect the player to play.
    I dunno if it’s as common as Football Manager would have us believe.

I’d imagine the vast majority of loans in Scotland only have a % of salary covered at most. Maybe it gets called a “loan fee” but it’s just covering wages.
    Last edited by easty; 27-09-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

I’d imagine the vast majority of loans in Scotland only have a % of salary covered at most. Maybe it gets called a “loan fee” but it’s just covering wages.
    It’s common down south. It won’t happen a lot up here but my point was around if Boro were desperate for him to play every week then they’d have something like that included so that we felt obliged to or it would hurt our pockets.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    I don’t agree that he’d be up against better opposition playing in Middlesbrough U23s. You’d maybe get a few decent players every now and then, but the majority would be guys who, if they came to us on loan, would be a sub.

the more i think about it the more i'm baffled(not hard to do) :) why would middlesbrough send the english u2-'s captain on loan to a club where he's not getting first team action, why send him up here to sit on a bench when he could sit on a bench down there, again i'm sure the timing of this was when young doig was expected to move on and we needed someone to fill his position albeit we still would have had a more than capable left back to fill in i'd like to see him get a game but not at the expense of young doig missing out

Sacrilege! It’s the root of all footballing knowledge I tells ye

Was interested to read he’s Dean Gordon’s son, very decent full back for Crystal Palace in the 90s with an occasional spectacular goal in him. They must have settled on Teesside.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Was interested to read he’s Dean Gordon’s son, very decent full back for Crystal Palace in the 90s with an occasional spectacular goal in him. They must have settled on Teesside.
    Think Dean played for Middlesbrough also. Assume must have settled in the area.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 28-09-2021 at 06:03 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    the more i think about it the more i'm baffled(not hard to do) :) why would middlesbrough send the english u2-'s captain on loan to a club where he's not getting first team action, why send him up here to sit on a bench when he could sit on a bench down there, again i'm sure the timing of this was when young doig was expected to move on and we needed someone to fill his position albeit we still would have had a more than capable left back to fill in i'd like to see him get a game but not at the expense of young doig missing out
    I think it is as simple as them thinking he is more likely to get game time here. Think Warnock is pretty up to speed with our league so thought a decent move and probably also impressed we have our own training centre. Player probably comfortable coming up to Edinburgh plus also not far from home. May also know Jack from his Sunderland days. Sure he will get some game time however our centre backs are playing well at present which may also be because he provides genuine competition which is a good thing also.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    I wonder how good you have to be to get a game for the under 20s team. I’d imagine if he was considered a top prospect he’d be playing in the far more prestigious under 21 team. I’m not putting him down, but it does seem a bit strange that someone with what looks like a cracking CV can’t get a game for Middlesbrough and is being loaned out to us. The more I think about it the more I’m intrigued to see him play.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I also think that people are underestimating how good a partnership Hanlon and Porteous are. It must be a nightmare to displace them from a squad getting good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I also think that people are underestimating how good a partnership Hanlon and Porteous are. It must be a nightmare to displace them from a squad getting good results.
    This

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I'm just glad he hasn't been needed. If we had a couple of injuries at CH, a good few folk would be claiming that the squad is weak and that the recruitment was poor.

He'll get his time, for sure. Hope it isn't for a good while though.