hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winning Ugly…

St Johnstone aren't a bad side. Think they'll stay up. Pricks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    ... I'd take Kane.

I think most of us want to win the 'Hibs way'. However sometimes you just need to win.

Would anyone remember if we were industrial and ugly in the SC final last year if we had won? The trophy was all that mattered.

Same today. We have a hard run of games coming up so a win today after dropping points in a couple of games recently was key. The team knuckled down, battled away and got the points. It's a special team that can look good against Davidsons gang.

I think it's safe to say the OP was so what tongue in cheek but I'm not sure some of the responses have been.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

It wasn’t pretty but I doubt it ever can be against teams like St Johnstone. But we finally did what we have to do to beat such outfits, namely match them in commitment, organization and discipline.

I wish to hell we had played like that in the LC semi and SC final last season instead of fannying around like a precious little blouses taking the strop because a bunch of thugs wouldn’t let us play football. We might have had some trophies in the cabinet.

I’d rather see football played the Hibs way, but sometimes you just have to do what it takes to win.

Wasnae pretty but I'm not gonna complain much if we actually win. There was some drama in the last few seconds at least so that was some value for money.

First half was pretty boring though. So many backward and sideways passes it was like we hadn't woken up yet. Main positive for me was Macey who was really confident and until the last few seconds had made no mistakes. Also, MOTM for me was McCart getting sent off for applauding the linesman like only a true numpty could.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Terrible? I don’t need to relay the reputation of st johnstone but they are very good at restricting what teams can do. Despite that, we had our joint most attempts at goal this season outside if the Ross County game.

I can recall a few incidents of Doig skinning Rooney down the wing and although we didn’t force Clark into any wonder saves we found ourselves in good positions in the box quite often only to have shots blocked by some good defending.

We also limited St J to very little and stood up well to prevent crosses coming in and also defend any that did find there way in, which has been a sore point for us this season.

There was a spell in the second half probably until the penalty where the situation was looking like we were a bit short of ideas but once the goal was scored I think we were on the front foot and didn’t let them pile pressure on like St Mirren and Dundee have done previously in getting late goals (sending off would have helped granted).

It wasn’t a classic performance by any means but from where I was looking it was a far cry from terrible.
    Far from a classic. I’ve since read that Boyle, Nesbit, JDH, and JDH haven’t been training so perhaps that’s something to do with it.

I’d rather have 3 clear cut chances that random shots on goal. Boyle had 3 or 4 woeful efforts. We huffed and puffed. Not much quality on show today. Bored stiff watching that in the East. Penalty was the only way we were getting 3 points today. Glad we did though.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post
    Far from a classic. I’ve since read that Boyle, Nesbit, JDH, and JDH haven’t been training so perhaps that’s something to do with it.

I’d rather have 3 clear cut chances that random shots on goal. Boyle had 3 or 4 woeful efforts. We huffed and puffed. Not much quality on show today. Bored stiff watching that in the East. Penalty was the only way we were getting 3 points today. Glad we did though.
    Fair play if that’s how you seen it. To be honest my expectations for entertainment were rock bottom going into the game so I was pleasantly surprised to see any goalmouth action at all Either way like yourself I’m just delighted to get the three points against that mob!

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Id agree with that. Way too slow in our build up especially against a team like st Johnstone. A disputed penalty away from a very diffrent message board tonight i think. Jack still hasnt worked them out.
    Can anyone give me an example of anyone who's "worked out" how to play against anti-football sides like St Johnstone?

We deserved the win and let's be honest this messageboard and how it (over)reacts when we don't win isn't really an accurate reflection on anything.
    Last edited by Shrekko; 27-09-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    ... I'd take Kane.
    Only if we get Son at the same time.....

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I thought once we went in front, St Johnstone showed that they can actually play a bit. Even down to 10 men they kept trying to play passing football, and showed good pressure on the ball and a willingness to play.

I think they are decent, in fact there are a few decent teams this season, St Mirren another.
    They are well organised. Their manager could be a big success at a richer club.

@hibs.net private member
    Our consistency of performance levels has been growing over the last year or so. Sometimes we have to dig deep for results and I thought we did that. Saints had just come off the back of beating Aberdeen and Dundee , and a narrow loss at home to Rangers . That was a tough and well earned result yesterday. Players should be really pleased with it

I have to be honest, I'm not sure we deserved to win yesterday, especially in the manner we did (dodgy penalty), but it makes up for the many, many times I've seen us perform much better than the opposition and either draw or lose, so I'm just happy with the three points.