hibs.net Messageboard

Page 164 of 164 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164
Results 4,891 to 4,912 of 4912
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Pickford telling himself “no problem” then saving from one of the best penalty takers in the world in a cup final was ice cold tbf.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's something more simple than that.

In our day you couldn't wait for school to finish to get out in the park with a football for a 10 HT 21 the winner game, and there were at least 2 before you were shouted in for tea.

Nowadays kids are more likely to be seen sauntering out of school head buried in a phone straight home to raid the fridge and up into their bedrooms for a game of football with their mates on the internet.
    Technology bad.

I think it's something more simple than that.

In our day you couldn't wait for school to finish to get out in the park with a football for a 10 HT 21 the winner game, and there were at least 2 before you were shouted in for tea.

Nowadays kids are more likely to be seen sauntering out of school head buried in a phone straight home to raid the fridge and up into their bedrooms for a game of football with their mates on the internet.
    Except an England team who all grew up in the 'Internet generation' have just taken their country further than they have in 55 years. And Scotland reached a first international tournament in a generation.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot...cid=entnewsntp

This gives some perspective on the scale of the violence associated with the final:

"England fans launched “random attacks on Italians” after the final of the Euro 2020 tournament, police have said.

Forces across the country are still collating figures on the number of incidents targeting supporters of Italy, who won the tournament on penalties.

More than 2,300 police incidents linked to the Euros have so far been recorded, surpassing the 2018 World Cup to make it the worst football tournament on record for crime.

They include stabbings, glassings, fights and assaults on police officers, with at least 622 people arrested so far in England and Wales.

Cheshire Constabulary chief constable Mark Roberts, who is the national lead for football policing, told The Independent: “We have seen random attacks on Italians ... Italians celebrating the win have been attacked"
    "

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Except an England team who all grew up in the 'Internet generation' have just taken their country further than they have in 55 years. And Scotland reached a first international tournament in a generation.
    We have nothing like the abundance of talent to choose from that we once had, to suggest otherwise is just nonsense.
    I think the same can be said of England, to a lesser degree though. I thought the English team was one of the worst I've seen considering it was basically a home tournament for them.
    A Bobby Robson England team would have won that tournament with a bit in hand imo.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot...cid=entnewsntp

This gives some perspective on the scale of the violence associated with the final:

"England fans launched “random attacks on Italians” after the final of the Euro 2020 tournament, police have said.

Forces across the country are still collating figures on the number of incidents targeting supporters of Italy, who won the tournament on penalties.

More than 2,300 police incidents linked to the Euros have so far been recorded, surpassing the 2018 World Cup to make it the worst football tournament on record for crime.

They include stabbings, glassings, fights and assaults on police officers, with at least 622 people arrested so far in England and Wales.

Cheshire Constabulary chief constable Mark Roberts, who is the national lead for football policing, told The Independent: “We have seen random attacks on Italians ... Italians celebrating the win have been attacked"
    "
    Hugely downplayed by media especially BBC news Monday morning was in full mourning mode with little or no mention of the huge thuggery all over the country

@hibs.net private member
    We have nothing like the abundance of talent to choose from that we once had, to suggest otherwise is just nonsense.
    I think the same can be said of England, to a lesser degree though. I thought the English team was one of the worst I've seen considering it was basically a home tournament for them.
    A Bobby Robson England team would have won that tournament with a bit in hand imo.
    Not a chance. Ally McLeod’s Scotland would have beaten them in the final 😉

The poster was making the point though that technology, Internet, gaming etc has had a negative effect on the standard of players we are producing. I just don't buy it at all. Does the Internet only exist in Britain like? Surely the rest of the world can use the same excuse, its an even playing field with regards to that. This 'Internet generation' Scotland team have achieved more than we have as a nation in decades. Players playing at the top level in England.

You don't think England have an abundance of top quality players, playing in the highest leagues in Europe at the moment to choose from? Their squad is excellent at the moment, I don't think you can actually argue against that. All young players that have grown up with the aforementioned technology and have taken their country further than they've been since before the moon landings.

It's the classic 'back in my day' argument that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    Last edited by mcohibs; 14-07-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    The poster was making the point though that technology, Internet, gaming etc has had a negative effect on the standard of players we are producing. I just don't buy it at all. Does the Internet only exist in Britain like? Surely the rest of the world can use the same excuse, its an even playing field with regards to that. This 'Internet generation' Scotland team have achieved more than we have as a nation in decades. Players playing at the top level in England.

You don't think England have an abundance of top quality players, playing in the highest leagues in Europe at the moment to choose from? Their squad is excellent at the moment, I don't think you can actually argue against that. All young players that have grown up with the aforementioned technology and have taken their country further than they've been since before the moon landings.

It's the classic 'back in my day' argument that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    The argument that ‘We lose major tournaments because youngsters these days are all on screens’ has been debunked so many times that there’s no point even engaging in the argument any more.

It’s about;

1. PROPER Coaching
    2. Money
    3.Facilities
    4. Long term planning

I agree. England didn't have anyone that stood out and made me think "that's a great player". In the past England were accused of being a team of individuals with the likes of Beckham, Scholes Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc all being shoehorned into the side. Now they're more of a team of lesser quality players in my opinion. Maybe not a bad thing for them. I don't think their egos are as big. Probably one of the more likeable England teams i can remember if i can say that as a proud Scotsman!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I agree. England didn't have anyone that stood out and made me think "that's a great player". In the past England were accused of being a team of individuals with the likes of Beckham, Scholes Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc all being shoehorned into the side. Now they're more of a team of lesser quality players in my opinion. Maybe not a bad thing for them. I don't think their egos are as big. Probably one of the more likeable England teams i can remember if i can say that as a proud Scotsman!

I do like most of these England players bar Pickford and Maguire. Rashford in particular is a great guy and a national hero.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    The only goal Pickford let in before the final was a free kick 5 foot away from his right hand post, most keepers would say they should save that.

He hardly had any saves to make during the whole competition, but he did make a great save in the lead up to the Italian goal.

Nowhere near keeper of the tournament in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post

The guy is brilliant, his off camera rants are so spot on, funny yet politically on the button.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    The only goal Pickford let in before the final was a free kick 5 foot away from his right hand post, most keepers would say they should save that.

He hardly had any saves to make during the whole competition, but he did make a great save in the lead up to the Italian goal.

Donnarumma by a mile imo. Pickford looked very shaky in the Denmark game threw the ball out to a Danish player at one point and as you say let in the only real save he had to make.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    EURO 2020

Patrick Schick’s strike against Scotland for the Czech Republic at Hampden named goal of the tournament

As voted for by 800000 fans from a short list of ten selected by official UEFA technical advisers in a 24 hour period
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 14-07-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Hugely downplayed by media especially BBC news Monday morning was in full mourning mode with little or no mention of the huge thuggery all over the country
    BBC focus was 100% on abuse of the 3 England players, has been for days, with little to ne mention of the general unrest post-final.

Any objective coverage of the problems in England risks their bid for the WC 2030.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    BBC focus was 100% on abuse of the 3 England players, has been for days, with little to ne mention of the general unrest post-final.

Any objective coverage of the problems in England risks their bid for the WC 2030.
    More and more stories are coming to light now though. This being perhaps the worst so far...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/14/ticketless-fans-actions-at-wembley-terrifying-say-disabled-fans

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar

sure I seen Pickford making a great save against scotland from O’Donnell.
    Last edited by eastterrace; 14-07-2021 at 06:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Pickford had a decent tournament and made a few very good saves. He's a good shot stopper but a keeper you feel always has a mistake in him. Donnarumma was the keeper of the tournament for me. Interesting that the two keepers in the frame are the two finalists and the two best teams in the competition and as such might expect the two keepers concerned might have not that much to do?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    sure I seen Pickford making a great save against scotland from O’Donnell.
    I forgot about that save, although if he'd let that in he'd have been slaughtered, a run of the mill save.

I forgot about that save, although if he'd let that in he'd have been slaughtered, a run of the mill save.
    He had a decent save against the Chelsea striker who played for Germany at 0-0 but I can remember a few saves he made which he didn't know anything about, as you can guess not a favourite of mine, too manic and attention seeking.