hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustaHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone know of any links courses in either East Lothian or Fife that doesn’t have a huge waiting list?
    Leven - but it’s busy
    Lundin links - joining fee but easy to get tee times.
    Crail - 2 courses grass all year but it’s a treck to get to

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    Leven - but it’s busy
    Lundin links - joining fee but easy to get tee times.
    Crail - 2 courses grass all year but it’s a treck to get to
    Cheers mate.

Currently a member of Leven - played it twice since I joined in December as like you say it’s a nightmare
    Lundin - on the waiting list!

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers mate.

Currently a member of Leven - played it twice since I joined in December as like you say it’s a nightmare
    I used to be at Leven but was a nightmare getting decent times.
    Depends where you are have you thought about Elie?
    Won’t help but ladybank is a cracking course

Dunbar tomorrow Deer Park shut yesterday and today.

Cheers mate.

Try kinghorn. Its cheap, it's links and it's a tough wee course. It's not exclusive and it's not a course I'd join long term but it's fun for a change.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Laguna Old course and North Course. There was another we were going to play whose name escapes me but it’s closed.
    Laguna was pretty meh. Lots of water and resultant loss of balls.
    The other two were first class with my favourite being the old course but only just over the north course. What a fabulous place for some winter golf. First time there and loved it.

@hibs.net private member
    Ladybank for another if anyone is keen for a game

I’m playing the old course tomorrow. I can’t tell you how excited I am. I really hope the weather forecasters are wrong though. 👎

The old course St Andrews. Take out the experience of playing it and possibly that experience of the 1st & 18th, as they’re not in themselves great holes, its rather bland and ordinary. The 11th is decent and could possibly make a case for the 7th too. The only real hole of note is the 17th. It’s only its history that keeps it on the rota for the open. Played it in horrible cold wet n windy weather too so the challenge was there. For the money I won’t rush back. Disappointed.

Kingsbarns a week on Friday. Now yer talking.
    Last edited by greenlex; 03-04-2024 at 02:36 PM.

The old course St Andrews. Take out the experience of playing it and possibly that experience of the 1st & 18th, as they’re not in themselves great holes, its rather bland and ordinary. The 11th is decent and could possibly make a case for the 7th too. The only real hole of note is the 17th. It’s only its history that keeps it on the rota for the open. Played it in horrible cold wet n windy weather too so the challenge was there. For the money I won’t rush back. Disappointed.

I hope you still got the obligatory photo on the Swilcan Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    I hope you still got the obligatory photo on the Swilcan Bridge?
    Obviously. Also got a great video of our American friend dropping a birdie on the first and going nuts. Good memories.

My brother played the Old Course backwards the other day.

I still like the old course as an Open course, in fact I think it comes alive at that level (like a few of the famous links courses). I like how differently it can play in different weather conditions - it can be torn apart whilst mild and be a bit of a killer when the wind blows. The wee loop up the far end of the course is a great place to watch various groups come and go. Over the course there are a few shorter par 4s that can be hit, some very tough holes as well, with a few "can't go right" holes on the way home that can be very interesting when the wind blows.

I'm not a great golfer but I'd love to play it one day - and I expect I'd be quite underwhelmed by the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I still like the old course as an Open course, in fact I think it comes alive at that level (like a few of the famous links courses). I like how differently it can play in different weather conditions - it can be torn apart whilst mild and be a bit of a killer when the wind blows. The wee loop up the far end of the course is a great place to watch various groups come and go. Over the course there are a few shorter par 4s that can be hit, some very tough holes as well, with a few "can't go right" holes on the way home that can be very interesting when the wind blows.

I'm not a great golfer but I'd love to play it one day - and I expect I'd be quite underwhelmed by the experience.
    Don’t get me wrong Smartie it a great experience. If you look at it from a purely golf test though it’s a fairly bland course. It’s the history and feeling of strolling down 17 & 18 that makes it worthwhile. There always an audience too. It’s as close to feeling crowd pressure as you’ll get. Finished bogey bogey.

Don’t get me wrong Smartie it a great experience. If you look at it from a purely golf test though it’s a fairly bland course. It’s the history and feeling of strolling down 17 & 18 that makes it worthwhile. There always an audience too. It’s as close to feeling crowd pressure as you’ll get. Finished bogey bogey.
    Bogey on 17 is a good effort though.

Where did you tee off from on that hole? Do you have to "cut the corner" or are there more generous tees available?

Bogey on 17 is a good effort though.

Where did you tee off from on that hole? Do you have to "cut the corner" or are there more generous tees available?
    Fairly forward tee. Still had to cut it a bit to get a better angle but no going over the old railway shed. A left to right shot wasn’t a problem as the wind was humming off the sea all day. Missed the green right and played a worldly to about three feet and duly missed it. ���� 18 was a driver then three wood. We were as far back as possible off the tee and into said gale. Three putted it. ������
    Last edited by greenlex; 04-04-2024 at 03:41 PM.

Kingsbarns blows most courses here away. Expensive but I've played the OC and feel the same as you. Great history but dull.

Dumbarnie on Thursday, anyone want to let me know what to expect? From the photos their Facebook has been posting it looks in great nick and is actually only opening today

Dumbarnie on Thursday, anyone want to let me know what to expect? From the photos their Facebook has been posting it looks in great nick and is actually only opening today
    I know someone who is a caddie at Kingsbarns. They say its the best course they've played. They've played all over the world.

Make of that what you will.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    I know someone who is a caddie at Kingsbarns. They say its the best course they've played. They've played all over the world.

Make of that what you will.

I played Kingsbarns under the then SGU scheme when members of Scottish Clubs were allocated so many tee off times at discounted rates. If I remember correctly I paid £75 and I thoroughly agree that its certainly the best of the relatively new courses.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I joined Pumpherston last month and really love the course, it's been closed a lot recently due to the sheer amount of rain we've had. I have completed 2 out 3 rounds to submit for my handicap.

The schedule for comps came out and I have to admit I'm surprised at the sheer amount of comps take place. In june for example unless you enter a comp, you can only play casual golf on 2 weekend days for the entire month. Now, I plan to play in the odd comp but casual by myself will always be my favourite. I hope there's scope to tee off early before they start as I won't usually have the time to wait until the end of the day.

Played Pumpherston a couple of times last year. Good offers on Golf Now.

Some excellent holes. The 2nd is "Augusta-ish" (in my mind anyway 🙂) and the Par 3, 13th is a cracker. The 16th is the "signature hole" but looks better from overhead than it does when you play it. Can't really see the island green till you get up to it.

Enjoy 👍

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Played Pumpherston a couple of times last year. Good offers on Golf Now.

Some excellent holes. The 2nd is "Augusta-ish" (in my mind anyway 🙂) and the Par 3, 13th is a cracker. The 16th is the "signature hole" but looks better from overhead than it does when you play it. Can't really see the island green till you get up to it.

Enjoy 👍
    Cheers, aye the second is a difficult one, I have yet to get my head around how to approach it. I also agree about the 16th,if they took away the mounds protecting. The hole it would look a lot nicer. On the 14th you get a much nicer view of it.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    Ladybank for another if anyone is keen for a game
    Playing it on the 28th. First time in 30 odd years. Can't wait
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Not much golf getting played. Deer Park shut 4 days last week and closed since Tuesday this week and review not until Monday.

Been a grim spring so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I played Kingsbarns under the then SGU scheme when members of Scottish Clubs were allocated so many tee off times at discounted rates. If I remember correctly I paid £75 and I thoroughly agree that its certainly the best of the relatively new courses.
    Sorry, I was referring to Dumbarnie.

Dumbarnie is very good. An array of different tees for different abilities. I’ve played it twice and due to go back again this year. It’s still relatively new and some of the areas from just around the greens and to the tees need to mature a bit. Great layout and a good test. Nice clubhouse and vibe too. The green problems they had a year or so ago have disappeared. It’s first class.
    Last edited by greenlex; 06-04-2024 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Cheers, aye the second is a difficult one, I have yet to get my head around how to approach it. I also agree about the 16th,if they took away the mounds protecting. The hole it would look a lot nicer. On the 14th you get a much nicer view of it.
    That 16th still gives me nightmares.

Been a couple of years now but played pumphy a few times. Nice course.

@hibs.net private member
    ****ing hell, the old course looks challenging playing normally but to play it backwards is one hell of an achievement 🫨

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Playing it on the 28th. First time in 30 odd years. Can't wait
    It has changed allot

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I've played golf for many many years and been fortunate enough to play all the Open Championship Courses in the UK with the exception of the Old Course and the very recently added Royal Portrush.

I hear a lot of negative reports about St Andrews as a golf course but I suppose I really should make an effort to play it sometime soon - if only to sample the traditions and unique atmosphere of the home of Golf.