hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    12 Angry Men is on amazon prime. 4th or 5th time ive seen it, Lee J Cobbs perfomance is up there with the best ever.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    12 Angry Men is on amazon prime. 4th or 5th time ive seen it, Lee J Cobbs perfomance is up there with the best ever.
    Quality. Only watched it once right through but may get on that over the next few nights!

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Quality. Only watched it once right through but may get on that over the next few nights!
    Let me know what you think of the very final scene and dialogue right at the end. At first i thought it was underwhelming, then i thought about it and it made more sense.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Love that film. Magnificent

Let me know what you think of the very final scene and dialogue right at the end. At first i thought it was underwhelming, then i thought about it and it made more sense.
    There being a wee line to sign-off with rings a bell actually, but can only remember that it takes place on the steps outside the court, I think! It must be getting on for ten years since I watched it

I do remember that it’s brilliant though.

Just finished it - as brilliant as I remember and yeah the final scene works for me 👍

An absolute classic.

Just finished it - as brilliant as I remember and yeah the final scene works for me 👍

An absolute classic.
    at first i thought it was an odd way to finish the film (all that brilliant emotional dialogue a few minutes before and they finish off with a bit of everyday greeting, WTF? But then of course you realise it's showing you the importance of anonymity in a jury, thats what i thought anyway).

Amazing stuff.

at first i thought it was an odd way to finish the film (all that brilliant emotional dialogue a few minutes before and they finish off with a bit of everyday greeting, WTF? But then of course you realise it's showing you the importance of anonymity in a jury, thats what i thought anyway).

Amazing stuff.
    Yep - two guys that end-up being fairly close and tight in ‘jury terms’ (managing to do the right thing and turn the vote on its head) then a quick reminder that they didn’t even know each other’s names. And then they walk their separate ways back to normal lives again.

I’d also completely forgotten that he gets the ball rolling with an all out gamble as well!

Also on Prime, Anatomy of a Fall. A much more recent release but a lot of court room drama.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Don’t waste your time if you’re thinking of watching Drive Away Dolls. I had low expectations going into it but thought the fact Ethan Coen directed it and its quirky tone might make it watchable. It’s dire. A road trip movie, but even still there’s no plot. The maguffin reveal at the end is the wrong side of silly and Matt Damon must need money these days for his cameo/small part.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Also on Prime, Anatomy of a Fall. A much more recent release but a lot of court room drama.
    Loved it. I would have preferred it to beat Oppenheimer at the Oscars but you also knew Nolans multi-gong triumph was as inevitable than ‘penalty to rangers.’ Past Lives would also have been a worthy winner. Its been a good tear for films.

Loved it. I would have preferred it to beat Oppenheimer at the Oscars but you also knew Nolans multi-gong triumph was as inevitable than ‘penalty to rangers.’ Past Lives would also have been a worthy winner. Its been a good tear for films.
    Past Lives has been on the watch list for a while. I think it's now on Netflix now so must get round to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Don’t waste your time if you’re thinking of watching Drive Away Dolls. I had low expectations going into it but thought the fact Ethan Coen directed it and its quirky tone might make it watchable. It’s dire. A road trip movie, but even still there’s no plot. The maguffin reveal at the end is the wrong side of silly and Matt Damon must need money these days for his cameo/small part.
    The reviews I've read have been scathing.

Disappointing to hear the guy who played Will Hunting, Tom Ripley and Jason Bourne so memorably was involved.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We watched Mississippi Burning for movie night last Friday, I'd seen it before but not for years and I forgot just how good it is. Gene Hackman's excellent in it, it's a terrific movie.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We watched Mississippi Burning for movie night last Friday, I'd seen it before but not for years and I forgot just how good it is. Gene Hackman's excellent in it, it's a terrific movie.
    Gene Hackman's one of those actors whose mere presence in a film more often than not elevates its quality.

Watched it last night. Sidney Lumet's direction is as crucial to its success as the collectively fine acting performances. I read that he shot the first third of the jury room scenes at above eye level, the second third at eye level and the final third below eye level, steadily adding to the claustrophobic atmosphere.

I was a bit disconcerted to see in 'viewers also watched' that there was a 1997 made-for-TV remake. Jack Lemmon plays the Henry Fonda role and there are a couple of black jurors, plus the accused is Hispanic. Not sure a 1997 jury would still be all men tho?! Whatever, I'll not be watching it.

Watched it last night. Sidney Lumet's direction is as crucial to its success as the collectively fine acting performances. I read that he shot the first third of the jury room scenes at above eye level, the second third at eye level and the final third below eye level, steadily adding to the claustrophobic atmosphere.

I was a bit disconcerted to see in 'viewers also watched' that there was a 1997 made-for-TV remake. Jack Lemmon plays the Henry Fonda role and there are a couple of black jurors, plus the accused is Hispanic. Not sure a 1997 jury would still be all men tho?! Whatever, I'll not be watching it.
    The accused was Hispanic in the original.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    The accused was Hispanic in the original.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    That's a point of debate. In the screenplay it states his ethnicity is left 'deliberately vague' although some of the cast's subsequent comments could be interpreted as meaning he's Puerto Rican.

The actor who played him was from an Italian family. His one and only screen role apparently.

I'm getting all this from Barry Norman's essay about the movie in an old book of my dad's called The Films of the Century by the way, so I'm assuming it's correct.
    Last edited by He's here!; 12-04-2024 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Was talking about this and ‘a time to kill’ (incidentally was on tv last week) as I seen ‘in the heat of the night’ for the first time over the past couple of weeks.

All good films but I was saying I think ATTK and MB are more alike than ITHOTN. And I think I prefer the former two as well.

A lot of good actors involved across the board there!

That's a point of debate. In the screenplay it states his ethnicity is left 'deliberately vague' although some of the cast's subsequent comments could be interpreted as meaning he's Puerto Rican.

The actor who played him was from an Italian family. His one and only screen role apparently.

I'm getting all this from Barry Norman's essay about the movie in an old book of my dad's called The Films of the Century by the way, so I'm assuming it's correct.
    I think it’s clear from the dialogue that one of the themes of the film is a subtle critique about racial stereotypes generally. When the ‘you know what i mean?’ hyper aggressive juror keeps returning to what ‘these people’ are like and what ‘these people’ do. It was right in the middle of McCarthyism at the time so filmmakers tended to be careful about politics.

Y’all need to stop talking about 12 angry men… I’m getting tempted to watch it for the second time in as many weeks!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Think we had a top 3 chat before 12am was third for me, a baw hair behind, Sunset boulevard and the third man (queue the third man theme)

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Think we had a top 3 chat before 12am was third for me, a baw hair behind, Sunset boulevard and the third man (queue the third man theme)
    Bit earlier, but Double Indemnity must be somewhere on the list?

On a lighter note, mentioning Jack Lemmon earlier put me in mind of another black and white cracker, The Apartment.

@hibs.net private member

On a lighter note, mentioning Jack Lemmon earlier put me in mind of another black and white cracker, The Apartment.
    Your a good man as I've not seen both will report back by Monday, thank you

A true classic. One of many brilliant Wayne films.

You could almost just admire the scenery for the duration of what is quite a long film Stunning.

The last Duke movie I seen was 'Red River' for the first time a few weeks back... and I'm going to watch 'the man who shot liberty valance' shortly. Given my love for westerns, and the fact I really like both Wayne and Stewart... I think it's about time I did.
    The Searchers and the man who shot Liberty Valance, 2 great John Wayne movies

Another classic from a great era. ‘Just be a mensch’

Watched " The Score " last night , Robert De Niro, Ed Norton and Marlon Brando . Hadn't seen it for awhile .

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Saw Civil War at the weekend, was really good. It doesn’t tell you what the civil war is about, or take a side. It’s from the war photographers perspective and showing that war is war, this one just so happens to be in America. Only minor gripe was that they seemed to not know how to end the film and rushed it a little. That and at the end they make one of the characters go too far 180 to show how war hardens and changes people, but small gripes in an otherwise very well done and enjoyable film.