hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I liked him, at least for a while. You could see there was potential but ultimately lacked the mindset to further his career.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    I found this interview with him from last summer:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...r-club-2948671

Some quite interesting thoughts on the stereotyping of black footballers and how his lack of maturity at the time in relation to these expectations affected his game, which is quite interesting in relation to what's been said on this thread. Essentially aye, his age and inexperience didn't help him, but I thought he could have been decent with a proper bit of coaching and a few more years under his belt. Not to be.

He had quite a terrifying time in Romania!

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Some quite interesting thoughts on the stereotyping of black footballers and how his lack of maturity at the time in relation to these expectations affected his game, which is quite interesting in relation to what's been said on this thread. Essentially aye, his age and inexperience didn't help him, but I thought he could have been decent with a proper bit of coaching and a few more years under his belt. Not to be.

He was very raw and got thrown straight in. With good coaching and time to develop things may have tuned out better for him, he was still young when he joined us. And rather have him than Zibi or Simon Clown...both the stuff of nightmares.

I remember reading that, very intelligent interview.

Still laugh at his blunder vs Aberdeen ..

I think coaching played a part but he had several years at Chelsea working under Silvino Louro, one of the most respected goalkeeping coaches in the world. Guys like Vitor Baia, Julio Cesar, Peter Cech and Carlo Cuidicini rave about him.

I think inexperience and ultimately limited ability were the biggest factors in his lack of progression. It happens all the time in football. Talented youngsters just can't take that final step to the 1st team, be that because of a mentally issue or a stagnation in their development.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    The first time I saw Ma-Kalambay was in a pre-season friendly at Stirling Albion in July 2007.
    My first reaction was look at the size of this guy,with his arms up he looked about 10 feet tall.
    I thought he should be fine with high balls and crosses.WRONG.
    Also making his debut that day was Alan O’Brien.He came on as a sub and went off down the wing like a rocket.
    One of the Bino players put him up in the air.O’Brien came down did a somersault and set off like a rocket again.I thought this guy makes Ivan Sproule look like he’s running backwards.IIRC he set up a cross for Clayton Donaldson to score.I thought this guy is going to be some signing for us.
    WRONG AGAIN.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    He wasn't great, but he was nowhere near as bad as some people made out.

Not that this is saying much, but I'd take him over Simon Brown, Zibi, Ben Williams, Mark Brown or Graeme Smith, who were all horrendous keepers. As I say, it's not saying much but just pointing out when people say he's the worst keeper we've had, they're talking nonsense.
    I would say you’re talking nonsense rating him above most you have mentioned, he was gash. Opinions eh!
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 25-03-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Malkowski, Simon Brown, McNeil, Ma-Kalambay, Stack, Smith, Mark Brown - our reputation for terrible goalkeepers in the late 00s and early 10s was entirely deserved.

Fortunately since then we've done much better with Williams, Oxley, Logan, Marciano and arguably Laidlaw.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    Ben williams was the first not-awful keeper we had since daniel anderson IMO, possibly excluding Stack.
    I liked Williams. Remember his late penalty save against Aberdeen, he saved us that game. Possibly the same game Deegan scored a screamer?

IIRC he actually saved another penalty against Aberdeen in a 0-0 the week before too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    He wasn't great, but he was nowhere near as bad as some people made out.

Not that this is saying much, but I'd take him over Simon Brown, Zibi, Ben Williams, Mark Brown or Graeme Smith, who were all horrendous keepers. As I say, it's not saying much but just pointing out when people say he's the worst keeper we've had, they're talking nonsense.
    Williams is significantly better than Maka. Isn't even close.