hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beneliga - Merger of Belgian and Dutch top league

Big moment in Belgian football, as 25 professional clubs vote in favour of establishing Beneliga = a merger with Dutch Eredivisie. @ProLeagueBE to play 'active role' in the project. Domestic TV deals end in 2025 in both 🇧🇪 and 🇳🇱

Still along way to go but it's the start

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big moment in Belgian football, as 25 professional clubs vote in favour of establishing Beneliga = a merger with Dutch Eredivisie. @ProLeagueBE to play 'active role' in the project. Domestic TV deals end in 2025 in both 🇧🇪 and 🇳🇱

Still along way to go but it's the start
    Cue another three months of the Scottish media slavering about Septic 'n' Sevco moving to England...

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Cue another three months of the Scottish media slavering about Septic 'n' Sevco moving to England...
    The problem being that England doesn't want them any more than we do.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    No doubt folk will jump on this as proof that an Atlantic League will happen too.

As if us joining up with Sweden is comparable.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Be a good move for their leagues imo

It makes sense for both leagues and will create a pretty strong league I'd imagine.

You have 2 countries that share a border and close historical ties aswell as having a comparable standard of football.

Unfortunately for us in Scotland we don't have that same scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Surely the Rangers would want to join the Dutch league given their love of everything orange
    This is how it feels

A potentially seismic set of events, which could lead to others doing something similar if it turns out to be successful.

However, as someone who has little knowledge of the Belgian and Dutch leagues, what are the benefits here for the 25 clubs that voted in favour of it? I can see why giants like Ajax and Anderlecht would be keen for it, but assuming a top league size of 20-25 (at most) that's quite a few teams who are in the top division of their own respective countries now, who will not be in the new top league when it's created. Potentially leading to a decrease in interest amongst their fan bases - Seen a similar argument on here regarding Hibs/Aberdeen joining the leagues down south, with many claiming (probably quite rightly) that if we were languishing in the Championship this could have a detrimental affect on our attendances.

Is the assumption here that even outwith the top league, TV money will still be increased?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Why don't they **** off to Ireland then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Why don't they **** off to Ireland then?
    Because Ireland doesn't want them any more than we or England do.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    2 countries can merge their leagues but Dundee and Dundee Utd can’t share a stadium despite the massive financial benefits 😂 morons.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    2 countries can merge their leagues but Dundee and Dundee Utd can’t share a stadium despite the massive financial benefits �� morons.
    There may be massive financial benefits but would you want to share a stadium with Hearts?

Mind you, we could make the Ugly Sisters share a stadium. As long as all the doors lock on the outside, that is.

And we lose the key.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    2 countries can merge their leagues but Dundee and Dundee Utd can’t share a stadium despite the massive financial benefits 😂 morons.
    Would you suggest that Hibs and Hearts share a stadium?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    England don't want ANY Scottish club. Full stop.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    It makes sense for both leagues and will create a pretty strong league I'd imagine.

You have 2 countries that share a border and close historical ties aswell as having a comparable standard of football.

Unfortunately for us in Scotland we don't have that same scenario.
    I’d say the Dutch league is of a much better standard than the Belgium one.
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

First Team Breakthrough
    Great for all the Dutch and Belgian hooligans two of the worst countries for fighting at the football , I’m sure all the locals in each country will love that idea !!!!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    England don't want ANY Scottish club. Full stop.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Hmmm but who Are the kingmakers here - esp in times of COVID with clubs coinging on for survival what better an opportunity to shake things upNd save football? SKY)
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 18-03-2021 at 05:54 AM.

With the news of this, and the potential introduction of Old Firm colt sides here, I'm on the verge of calling it a day with football.

The thin end of some very big wedges concerning the future of our game. All about keeping the big boys happy at the expense of others.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    With the news of this, and the potential introduction of Old Firm colt sides here, I'm on the verge of calling it a day with football.

The thin end of some very big wedges concerning the future of our game. All about keeping the big boys happy at the expense of others.
    How much can you even like football to begin with, if a combined Dutch Belgian league, and chat about potentially having Old Firm B teams, can be enough for you to verge on calling it a day?

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    How much can you even like football to begin with, if a combined Dutch Belgian league, and chat about potentially having Old Firm B teams, can be enough for you to verge on calling it a day?
    You can love the sport and be fed up/concerned where its headed. TV creating super leagues for world viewing figures doesn't bode well for grass roots sports.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    I’d say the Dutch league is of a much better standard than the Belgium one.
    Dutch league currently 7th in Uefa rankings and Belgian is 9th.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Going off on a bit of a tangent here but that’s how I feel about VAR.

I’m sure I won’t, in fact I’m certain I won’t, but I can see the attraction of going supporting a junior football when VAR finally comes to Scottish football.

32 years of following Hibs home and away, on an almost weekly basis, and even longer following my hometown side Chorley, suggests I "like football".

I don't "like" what is has become, and I'm even more concerned about what it will become.

As I said, the thin end of some particularly worrying/damaging wedges for the vast majority of teams, the integrity of the sport, and the rich and varied history/tapestry of the game.
    Last edited by Chorley Hibee; 18-03-2021 at 07:41 AM.

Gamer IDs

32 years of following Hibs home and away, on an almost weekly basis, and even longer following my hometown side Chorley, suggests I "like football".

I don't "like" what is has become, and I'm even more concerned about what it will become.

As I said, the thin end of some particularly worrying/damaging wedges for the vast majority of teams, the integrity of the sport, and the rich and varied history/tapestry of the game.
    But you’re on the verge on giving up on Hibs and Chorley because Ajax and Anderlecht will be in the same league (who in the UK even pays much attention to the leagues in Holland and Belgium just now?), and because there’s chat about Rangers and Celtc B teams (which there has been chat of for years).

If you’re just doing the internet thing, and being a tad dramatic, then fair enough. If you’re genuinely saying you’re on the verge of giving up on football cos of it, then I find it really odd.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    You can love the sport and be fed up/concerned where its headed. TV creating super leagues for world viewing figures doesn't bode well for grass roots sports.

What does it do to grass roots sports? I genuinely don’t have any idea.

Why would a “euro super league” affect the lower levels of football in Scotland?

But you’re on the verge on giving up on Hibs and Chorley because Ajax and Anderlecht will be in the same league (who in the UK even pays much attention to the leagues in Holland and Belgium just now?), and because there’s chat about Rangers and Celtc B teams (which there has been chat of for years).

If you’re just doing the internet thing, and being a tad dramatic, then fair enough. If you’re genuinely saying you’re on the verge of giving up on football cos of it, then I find it really odd.
    Do you honestly believe that Old Firm colt teams and Ajax and Anderlecht playing in the same league is the end of it, or just the beginning of a slippery slope towards the demise of the game as we've known it?

I've been increasingly disillusioned with the game in the upper echelons (around Europe) for the past decade, and everyone will have their own breaking point on the matter.

In the not to recent past we've heard discussions surrounding:

Closed leagues (no relegation for certain teams)

Automatic qualification for Champions League for 'big' names.

Atlantic Leagues.

Games played abroad.

These moves won't be the end, they're only the opening salvo on what the big teams really want.

These moves will not be for the benefit of Hibernian FC either.

Gamer IDs

Do you honestly believe that Old Firm colt teams and Ajax and Anderlecht playing in the same league is the end of it, or just the beginning of a slippery slope towards the demise of the game as we've known it?

I've been increasingly disillusioned with the game in the upper echelons (around Europe) for the past decade, and everyone will have their own breaking point on the matter.

In the not to recent past we've heard discussions surrounding:

Closed leagues (no relegation for certain teams)

Automatic qualification for Champions League for 'big' names.

Atlantic Leagues.

Games played abroad.

These moves won't be the end, they're only the opening salvo on what the big teams really want.

These moves will not be for the benefit of Hibernian FC either.
    I moaned about football 20 years ago, I moan about it now, and even if all the above happens I’ll still be going to watch Hibs and I’ll still be moaning about football.

I moaned about football 20 years ago, I moan about it now, and even if all the above happens I’ll still be going to watch Hibs and I’ll still be moaning about football.
    Well I admire your stance (a not to dissimilar one to my own for many years) but there comes a time (IMHO) that it's no longer the game I fell in love with.

Gamer IDs

Well I admire your stance (a not to dissimilar one to my own for many years) but there comes a time (IMHO) that it's no longer the game I fell in love with.
    Fair enough

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    What does it do to grass roots sports? I genuinely don’t have any idea.

Why would a “euro super league” affect the lower levels of football in Scotland?
    Thin end of the wedge. The point of playing football for the fun gets lost in the need to "make it". I played because I enjoyed it. Now clubs hoover the young talent in a bid to find the odd diamond to make money. Good "in my day" boys clubs are now scouting /recruiting for senior clubs. The trickle down funding keeps them going and so becomes their reason for being, which is far away from where they started. The Champions league is almost a closed shop so the European League, Conference becomes the thing to be in. B teams in lower leagues etc. I'm sorry if you can't see that but Globalisation is sucking the life and joy out of elite sports. The more elite and bigger the audience, the less sports will be available on the TV or to join.