hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Must be looking back and very much regretting deciding against, or being persuaded not to go for, the gig at Ipox when he had the chance before Slippy was appointed. Doubt he will get the chance of that sort of gig again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Must be looking back and very much regretting deciding against, or being persuaded not to go for, the gig at Ipox when he had the chance before Slippy was appointed. Doubt he will get the chance of that sort of gig again.
    Were Rangers not a basket case at that time? Think he was offered it when Murty was there. He would have got a decent increase at Aberdeen no doubt. Will be interesting to see where he goes now. Would assume down south

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Have Aberdeen not had the 3rd biggest budget for a long time. A lot of people saying he’s done a good job yet not many fans like the style of football? So if Hibs turn into Aberdeen over the next few season will our fans be happy?
    Finishing 2nd / 3rd every year for the next 8 years together with a Cup and Europe every year? Sounds pretty good to me.

Very odd timing. There is no new manager bounce likely and inexperienced management team in charge for last six games. If they were going to boot him should have been after the game at er. We can only focus on our games but I can’t see them binning McInnes as anything but a plus for us.

Surprising timing, he knows how to beat Hibs, which is what they need to do. Hopefully Ross can take advantage, and secure third place.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    On reflection, he probably would have been away a fortnight ago if we had picked up some points

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Has it been confirmed yet?

It would signal to me they are gambling on a Yogi-style new manager bounce. If they appoint rookies it's a win-win - if they get third its a masterstroke, if they don't it's because of the state the previous incumbent left behind.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

It would signal to me they are gambling on a Yogi-style new manager bounce. If they appoint rookies it's a win-win - if they get third its a masterstroke, if they don't it's because of the state the previous incumbent left behind.
    They’ve said Paul Sheerin the youth coach til the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Not sure about that, highly doubt he would be a success there. And we all know that it's either success or abject failure at the old firm with not much room inbetween

Having said that he probably should have left aberdeen last summer or even earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

It was announced last night.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2021/03/08/der...utual-consent/

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Have Aberdeen not had the 3rd biggest budget for a long time. A lot of people saying he’s done a good job yet not many fans like the style of football? So if Hibs turn into Aberdeen over the next few season will our fans be happy?
    Speaking for myself, I’d not be happy in that scenario. Playing the way Aberdeen have for the last 5 or 6 years would negate any success for me. What’s the point in success if the 90 mins on a Saturday feels like a chore. For a season or two as a means to an end, maybe. As a preferred playing style, despite the success, not what I’d spend my time and money on.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Speaking for myself, I’d not be happy in that scenario. Playing the way Aberdeen have for the last 5 or 6 years would negate any success for me. What’s the point in success if the 90 mins on a Saturday feels like a chore. For a season or two as a means to an end, maybe. As a preferred playing style, despite the success, not what I’d spend my time and money on.
    Exactly where I am and I’d suspect if it ever came to that there would be more fans in the same boat than would let on. Not enjoying going to watch Hibs because of the style of football on show would get old fast.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Couldn’t agree more.

One of my concerns of the Jack Ross reign so far was that he may be using the Aberdeen blueprint for success. As a manager I can completely understand why anyone would go down that route, as a supporter though it’s not for me.

I appreciate for some though it’s all about the end result.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Couldn’t agree more.

One of my concerns of the Jack Ross reign so far was that he may be using the Aberdeen blueprint for success. As a manager I can completely understand why anyone would go down that route, as a supporter though it’s not for me.

I appreciate for some though it’s all about the end result.
    What makes you say that?

I don’t see many parallels with our playing style and Aberdeen’s under McInnes.

For me the only the only element of McInnes that Ross wants is to be constantly in the top 4. Aberdeen have built their relative success through being powerful and scrappy/niggly. I don’t see those traits in our game.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    What makes you say that?

For me the only the only element of McInnes that Ross wants is to be constantly in the top 4. Aberdeen have built their relative success through being powerful and scrappy/niggly. I don’t see those traits in our game.
    I agree Matty, we play decent, if at times lethargic, football. We do also have a bit more pragmatism in the side, but we are not hammer-throwers.

It's not swashbuckling, but people seem to forget that last time we played great football was under Lennon when we had McGinn and DM in the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Cheers SDG

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I have a couple of friends who are Arbroath fans - they highly rated Sheerin when he was their player/manager and was surprised that he took a youth role in coaching as opposed to looking for a bigger management job.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Don't see any decisive correlation between Ross n McInnes tbh.

And, I like winning too much to be bothered about how we win. So long as there are goals and victories...that's sweet enough for me. Much prefer that to silky play and losing.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    What makes you say that?

I just think we’re boring to watch to be honest.

I know there’s plenty counter arguments to that in terms of the stats and league position, it’s just how I’ve felt watching this Hibs team.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Always liked McInnes, hope he finds another decent club.

I don’t blame Aberdeen though, the time was right to make the change.

McCormack comes across well to me and I see him in a similar way to Ron Gordon. A strong Aberdeen alongside us is good for the league and gives us someone to compete against for Europe!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    What makes you say that?

Personally, I think there are some parallels between Mcinnes and Ross in terms of style. There’s no parallel between Aberdeen’s sleekit, rotational fouling by a team of giants. I do see similarities in the emphasis being on being hard to beat first and foremost. The importance in getting the first goal and when done so looking to manage the game rather than go for the kill. None of that is meant as a criticism (I’ve my own thoughts on whether I like that style or not) but those are similarities I see between both teams/managers.

Personally, I think there are some parallels between Mcinnes and Ross in terms of style. There’s no parallel between Aberdeen’s sleekit, rotational fouling by a team of giants. I do see similarities in the emphasis being on being hard to beat first and foremost. The importance in getting the first goal and when done so looking to manage the game rather than go for the kill. None of that is meant as a criticism (I’ve my own thoughts on whether I like that style or not) but those are similarities I see between both teams/managers.
    Rome also wasn’t built in a day. It’s easier to evolve when your consistently where you aspire to be, than to evolve when struggling around mid table. Now we have the argument that playing nice silky football won’t have you mid table, but that’s hypothetical just now and Ross, without fans in the stadium for atmosphere, has built us from the back where we were hopeless previously, and ensured we are beating the majority of the league more often than not.

We are third, we should finish there, that gives us a decent whack of cash, it allows us to spend more again, evolving, and looking to build on that, as Gordon said it’s a project he’s building. It’s not Mowbray style football but then we don’t have those players, it’s also a very difficult league to play that way where even Rangers struggle most weeks to play that football. Sometimes and some seasons results are everything, and we’re achieving that this season.

I’ve enjoyed decent chunks of it, others have been hard, none of it is helped by sitting in the house. I’d say it’s a million miles away from Aberdeen’s style of play, never once have I seen us chuck one defender after defender to shut out a 1-0 win by kicking and fouling our way to it.

Rumours of Aberdeen getting Stephen Glass in as manager as Jim Whyte and Gordon Hunter were on the radio said they spoke to the appointed manager last night who is an ex Aberdeen player.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Don't see any decisive correlation between Ross n McInnes tbh.

And, I like winning too much to be bothered about how we win. So long as there are goals and victories...that's sweet enough for me. Much prefer that to silky play and losing.
    Same with me.

Win at all costs and I don’t care how we do it.

What I would like to see is a bit more control about or performances though as sometimes I think we lack this and puts us in a dangerous position.

I suppose Ross would say were in control defensively though as we seem at our best and most threatening when we don’t have the ball and can counter. Teams appear to do that to us when we are dictating the game.

A couple of shrewd additions in the summer as well as retaining certain players will bring this.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Rumours of Aberdeen getting Stephen Glass in as manager as Jim Whyte and Gordon Hunter were on the radio said they spoke to the appointed manager last night who is an ex Aberdeen player.
    Paul Sheerin is Ex Aberdeen.

Left by mutual consent!
    Drew Jarvie?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Paul Sheerin is Ex Aberdeen.
    Yeah I think they were meaning who will get the gig full time based on what I’ve been told.

Always the chance they were trying to be smart with it being Sheerin

A lot seem to thing Glass due to his links with Aberdeen and Atlanta though.

@hibs.net private member
    Had a quick look at the Aberdeen fans forum - yes, that's working from home for you. Anyway, jeezo - makes this place seem like a haven of calm, thoughtful inner peace, and love-thy-neighbourness. All f-ing and c-ing at each other, almost to the point of squaring up. Amazing. Oh, and they all seem to hate McInnes. Be careful what you wish for, people...

@hibs.net private member
    Certainly can understand this comment but I think it underrates a lot of what McInnes has achieved. Yes, they have been built on a solid defence and have been a bit industrial in style (particularly the last couple of years) but they were also a good attacking side when Niall McGinn and Hayes were in their prime and bombing down the wings. They also gave Brendan Roger's Celtic side (which was pretty much untouchable for a while) a really good run for their money at times, particularly the 2017 Scottish Cup Final. McInnes is miles ahead of other anti-footballing managers like Levein.

Aberdeen certainly need a refresh but McInnes is a good manager who perhaps outstayed his shelf life at Aberdeen. Have to say I wouldn't mind Hibs incorporating a bit of their stuffiness into our play. I certainly think we need add a bit more aggression and desire in our play which is a bit lacking and why we seem to lose so many games when we go behind.

On your overall sentiment though, I agree. I think 4th place under Lennon was a far greater achievement and far more enjoyable experience than this year even if we get 3rd.

The problem for Hibs if we do get 3rd is where do we go from there? There is a glass ceiling in Scottish football which has clearly resulted in the Aberdeen fans becoming dissatisfied with 3rd.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Can only be due to them wanting to sell season tickets. Mcinnes going will help in that regard.