hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember these 2 clowns in the old North Stand starting up a "Brazil must go" chant. The abuse they got from fellow fans was far worse than what they gave Benny and they were never seen again.
    Benny shut a few of them up with his hat-trick against Celtic

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Benny shut a few of them up with his hat-trick against Celtic
    I remember his very predictable penalty miss against them in the cup shoot out, I think Rae missed too. No harm done fortunately and I think O'Leary's pen is still in orbit

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I would add that managers were not afforded the same respect, they were often spoken about disparagingly.
    And owners. Much as Tom Hart is revered these days every bad defeat (maybe to a lower league side) resulted in “Hart Must Go” from the terraces and a mob round the back of the stand. Kenny Waugh got it tough too.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Talking of which: it would be ideal if posters were obliged to give their age or age bracket.

Sometimes it is impossible to differentiate between adult stupidity or juvenile inexperience.
    Peoples ages certainly used to be on here on the desktop version.

I haven’t been on here on a computer in years so no idea if it’s still there.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Talking of which: it would be ideal if posters were obliged to give their age or age bracket.

Sometimes it is impossible to differentiate between adult stupidity or juvenile inexperience.
    Infirmity and senility must come into it as well. Certainly does in my case, I’m off my nut.
    I just seen a photo of Jack Harkness’ timeless report on Hibs 8-1 win v the Huns in the 1940s. I vividly remember reading Jack Harkness in the Sunday Post myself, 30 years after that event but still over 40 years ago. Age young or old doesn’t come on it’s own.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    And owners. Much as Tom Hart is revered these days every bad defeat (maybe to a lower league side) resulted in “Hart Must Go” from the terraces and a mob round the back of the stand. Kenny Waugh got it tough too.
    So did Bill Harrower before them, mind you, he sold Stein, Marinello & Cormack between October 68 to April 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Peoples ages certainly used to be on here on the desktop version.

I haven’t been on here on a computer in years so no idea if it’s still there.
    It's there for some posters, but not others.

Think you can leave your date of birth blank so that it doesn't show.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    So did Bill Harrower before them, mind you, he sold Stein, Marinello & Cormack between October 68 to April 1970.
    Quite a rate of alienation that was Ray. Most of us older types had to live with the loss of one boyhood hero ((although Cropley then later Stanton were particularly heart wrenching for me amidst the destruction of a side of heroes) but cashing in on three young figures like that in 18 months must have taken some juggling. Cant imagine what Hibs.net or even Sky TV would have sucked out of that.

Mind you in this age (?) , Farmer sold on that entire golden generation in a fairly short spell didn’t he? Murray, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Riordan, O’Connor, Fletcher, Murphy, Sproule, Imagine being 12 in 2006 and facing that with Hearts winning the cup? And we might have been getting better crowds at the time than Harrower and eventually Hart did (don’t quote me on that though). But we did get East Mains and a finished stadium in return. Harrower, Hart, Waugh and their successors left us with nowt , zero legacy, less indeed than we started with, maybe too much less. And Hart is revered now on the basis of maybe three brilliant years followed by two or three decades of decline.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I actually think the abuse at the match was worse in the 70’s and 80’s. Anything went back then. The difference was that come Sunday you started to forget about the result and look forward to the next match. There wasn’t the endless analysing and debating the minutiae of every game and individual performance like there is now.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    I actually think the abuse at the match was worse in the 70’s and 80’s. Anything went back then. The difference was that come Sunday you started to forget about the result and look forward to the next match. There wasn’t the endless analysing and debating the minutiae of every game and individual performance like there is now.
    Racial abuse, casual or vociferous, was widely accepted as the norm and seldom challenged. And if I’m honest, sectarian abuse was worse too.
    A battle outside the away end was a given once the opportunity arose to get the **** off the chest.

Music was better though.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I would add that managers were not afforded the same respect, they were often spoken about disparagingly.
    but everyone seems to address them as Mr surely that’s enough ?

one of my pet hates - who calls even their boss Mr or Mrs? In my 20+ years in a number of industries, with the UK I’ve never come across it.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Testimonial Due
    Having watched Hibs for 50 years at ER and stood in all parts of the ground, I think the abuse of the players and team has become worse over time. That has accelerated over and I think it partly feeds off social media. I can remember only Ally Brazil getting pelters and more down to his limitations rather than would he actually did on the park. I remember a gang beating up on Rob Jones and willing him to making a mistake before he established himself. In the last 10 years have seen widespread ganging up on players because of concerted attacks on social media

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Quite a rate of alienation that was Ray. Most of us older types had to live with the loss of one boyhood hero ((although Cropley then later Stanton were particularly heart wrenching for me amidst the destruction of a side of heroes) but cashing in on three young figures like that in 18 months must have taken some juggling. Cant imagine what Hibs.net or even Sky TV would have sucked out of that.

Mind you in this age (?) , Farmer sold on that entire golden generation in a fairly short spell didn’t he? Murray, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Riordan, O’Connor, Fletcher, Murphy, Sproule, Imagine being 12 in 2006 and facing that with Hearts winning the cup? And we might have been getting better crowds at the time than Harrower and eventually Hart did (don’t quote me on that though). But we did get East Mains and a finished stadium in return. Harrower, Hart, Waugh and their successors left us with nowt , zero legacy, less indeed than we started with, maybe too much less. And Hart is revered now on the basis of maybe three brilliant years followed by two or three decades of decline.
    Yes, although Tom Farmer was in overall charge, his blind alliance to Rod Petrie, particularly at the beginning, cost the club a packet, while Rod was learning more about the industry. Perfectly illustrated by the Derek Riordan saga, when after the original contract offer to Deeks was withdrawn to allow the then new manager time to assess his capabilities, when it became obvious the talent the player had, Deeks wanted the cash paid back to reflect the loss he incurred, Rod Petrie refused and Deeks didn't sign the contract and therefore we got 150k for a million pound plus player. There was many other examples where the treatment of players would have discouraged decent players from coming to ER, if they had alternatives elsewhere and this would have contributed to our alarming slide.

Before Rod's involvement with Hibs, we had been relegated once since the 1930's and twice in his time and after the latest it took the recruitment of LD to lift the club to Scottish cup winners. There is little doubt that enormous credit is deserved for the infrastructure changing to such a fantastic degree but whether the cost [not monetary terms] needed to be so high, for me, is debatable. Back in the Sauzee/Latapy era the relationship between fans and the club was poisonous and the 11,000 crowds that, that fantastic team got was testament to that and this was often quoted as our break even figure, therefore showing the distinct lack of foresight and appreciation at what could be achieved, which fast forward a number of years would show us.

To me the deceit started with the Kenny Miller sale, not the fact he had to be sold, but we were repeatedly being told that the club was not in trouble, despite the huge amount of expensive [Duffy] signings still attached to the club and the better quality added by McLeish, afterall we were owned by a very rich man who had just sold his highly rated business to a major international organisation, so there was no reason not to believe the line being fed out of ER. Overnight it came out we had 22 million debts and Hibs had to deal with them which would mean the break up of the team starting with the sale of Kenny Miller, who after a season predominantly in Rangers reserves, went south for a million more than we got for him.

i remember speaking to jimmy Nicholl after his game in charge as caretaker and he was quite open that lots of players (not just Hibs) can't handle abuse from the crowd and Easter Road in particular was not an easy place to play for Hibs' players.
    Players will not try things in games that they do in training for fear of abuse from the fans. That's just the way it is.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    i remember speaking to jimmy Nicholl after his game in charge as caretaker and he was quite open that lots of players (not just Hibs) can't handle abuse from the crowd and Easter Road in particular was not an easy place to play for Hibs' players.
    Players will not try things in games that they do in training for fear of abuse from the fans. That's just the way it is.
    On a similar note I remember listening to a certain Terry Butcher on radio discussing ICT going to Easter Road and he basically said it was one of the less painful away games as there was a lower '12th man' effect for the home.team and that if ICT can stop things happening on the pitch, the 12th man effect switches in favour of the away team.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    On a similar note I remember listening to a certain Terry Butcher on radio discussing ICT going to Easter Road and he basically said it was one of the less painful away games as there was a lower '12th man' effect for the home.team and that if ICT can stop things happening on the pitch, the 12th man effect switches in favour of the away team.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    It must be the ghost of a lower 12th man this year then given our home form. Manager say lots of things to introduce mind games into fixtures. I've been at most grounds in Scotland and ER doesn't stand out for players being abused

de la Cruz

I have heard it all my days at Hibs and to be honest I heard it during a season watching Aberdeen and a season with Dundee Utd (Uni student and no car-so what do you do?) Every team has fans that do it. I remember the worst case for me was De la cruz's name being read out to the crowd at the 2nd leg AEK game and even in the heart of the East under the gantry one or two guys giving it big boos and shouts about how bad he was. It started a bit of an argument with me and some others but the rest of the support were disappointingly quiet. I don't go along to shout abuse and encouragement really is everything though it doesn't stop the uncontrollable groans that escape when a player does the wrong thing or misses a chance.
    Right now though - I'm glad I'm not at games because a couple of players wind me up so much I would be finding it very hard...

Left by mutual consent!
    Folk will always give it large on match day.

I remember sitting behind Alistair Stevenson at the Youth cup final in 2009, a bloke sitting in front of him was giving Kurtis Byrne pelters for failing to link play, Kurtis then pops up an scores the winner in the last minute of extra time. The boy was up dancing in his seat like a young yin, with Stevenson behind him just shaking his head.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Folk will always give it large on match day.

I remember sitting behind Alistair Stevenson at the Youth cup final in 2009, a bloke sitting in front of him was giving Kurtis Byrne pelters for failing to link play, Kurtis then pops up an scores the winner in the last minute of extra time. The boy was up dancing in his seat like a young yin, with Stevenson behind him just shaking his head.

lol the life of a fickle football fan eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    In the old days it would be a moan over a beer in the pub with your mates & then forgotten about as you looked forward to the next game. Happy days.

Thats what I remember it as.

It all seemed so much simpler back then

I also think we were not exposed to all the football we see today. How often had many of us seen a Liverpool or Man Utd game and as for foriegn teams once in a blue moon
    Last edited by Not So Young; 05-03-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Im not quite the same vintage as the OP but I dont think now, actually at the games, the abuse is as bad as it was in say the 80s and early 90s. What I would say tho is that opinions on the forums etc of players and managers seem to be formed ridiculously prematurely imo with little leeway given for other factors. I think players and managers got more time in the past definitely.

If I was player Id keep off social media and away from messageboards....I remember reading a player say once they could read 99 positive comments after a game but it would be the 1 negative one that would stick in their minds.