hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We got a ridiculous goal allowed that didn't cross the line in a big relegation game against Dunfermline iirc under Calderwood (Hanlon scored).

We ended up pumping them in a comfortable win, but it was made far more comfortable by that goal being allowed at that stage in the game.
    Exactly. You can’t just remove the dodgy goal and say the game would have ended 3-0 with any certainty. Although gloryhunter might disagree. I’m sure that game was 4-0 and Matt Doherty scored the opener.

2. Log in to remove the advert

[QUOTE=gloryhunter;5767663]
    Quote Originally Posted by greiggy View Post
    1966 World Cup final

Only if you are ABE.
    VAR would certainly have allowed the other 3 goals so no change in the actual result. VAR would have cancelled the "hand of God" so think you are on the wrong track here.
    "Hand of god" when the ball blatantly hit his head and went in?

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Exactly. You can’t just remove the dodgy goal and say the game would have ended 3-0 with any certainty. Although gloryhunter might disagree. I’m sure that game was 4-0 and Matt Doherty scored the opener.
    I don't say literally lightly, but that might literally be the one outstanding occasion that the dodgy goal could have been removed and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

Explain. A team scored 4 goals but had the 3rd been disallowed there is every chance the game would have taken a different course. You can’t just strike the disputed goal off the final score and claim as fact that that’s the end of the story. You are making an assumption yourself.
    Yup. People talk about Oli Shaws goal as if it robbed us of a victory. The whole game would have been different and as far as I remember it happened pretty early in the game

@hibs.net private member
    Explain. A team scored 4 goals but had the 3rd been disallowed there is every chance the game would have taken a different course. You can’t just strike the disputed goal off the final score and claim as fact that that’s the end of the story. You are making an assumption yourself.

FFS you keep proving my point. We are both making assumptions. I made the assumption that England would have won 3 - 2 anyway. You made the assumption that the game would have panned out differently without that goal. The game can't get replayed and NOBODY (not me, not you, NOBODY) knows how the game would have gone if the goal had been chalked off.

Some say the "hand of God" goal evened things out (against England yeah but didn't do Germany much good so not really even) but that was blatant cheating and a different subject entirely.

My main point/thrust was objecting to folk using terms such as assume, probably, not necessarily, and the like and then indicating that it proved a point

Testimonial Due
    Its a very valid point. As the guy mentioned, the fourth goal was a breakaway when the Germans were pushing for an equaliser. At 2-2 its a fair assumption that situation wouldn’t have happened. In my opinion.
    In the interests of fairness, roles were reversed in 2010. England goal disallowed on the stroke of half time (a couple of feet over the line) which would have made it 2-2. Second half: the Germans picked England off at will for 4-1.

@hibs.net private member

I agree wholeheartedly that taking away or awarding a goal/penalty would and does change a game but not necessarily the result (I agree that it would in many or even most cases but nobody knows for sure). You can take a good guess or make a viable assumption but it doesn't prove anything one way or another.

We got a ridiculous goal allowed that didn't cross the line in a big relegation game against Dunfermline iirc under Calderwood (Hanlon scored).

We ended up pumping them in a comfortable win, but it was made far more comfortable by that goal being allowed at that stage in the game.
    That was the 4th in a 4 nil win was it not?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Yup. People talk about Oli Shaws goal as if it robbed us of a victory. The whole game would have been different and as far as I remember it happened pretty early in the game
    Might have done wonders for his career confidence wise if allowed to stand

Perfectly legitimate goal

Every chance we would have gone on to win the game

Robbed again at the PBS

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly that taking away or awarding a goal/penalty would and does change a game but not necessarily the result (I agree that it would in many or even most cases but nobody knows for sure). You can take a good guess or make a viable assumption but it doesn't prove anything one way or another.
    I don’t think anyone was claiming anything around the certainty of the outcome. You dismissed the guys point as if it was invalid. You are now saying none of us know how things would have panned out. We are agreed on that point. Nobody knows but it could have resulted in a different outcome. The gist of it is that none of us can give a definitive answer to the OP. The answer is that some outcomes may have been different had VAR been around. Fair enough?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

Yes. I’m sure were something like 3-0 up in the first 25 mins or something?

I remember we had a massive crowd that night as well.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Fletcher's goal for Sheffield Wednesday 10 minutes ago would easily have been chalked off.

@hibs.net private member
    Colin Campbell 1979 stonewall pen in Cup Final

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Sorry to harp on about this yet again, but Italy v South Korea in the 2002 World Cup. VAR would have disabled the effect of the bribery which clearly took place and the absolutely scandalous refereeing that rigged the match.

Cheating Ecuadorian ***t, Byron Moreno, would have been found out there and then. Instead we had to wait for his suspension for match fixing back home in Ecuador later that year to find out what he was really all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    I had it in my mind that it was the third but I could be wrong.

I remember feeling that Hibs were quite comfortable when we were given it, and thinking that it would have been very controversial in a closer game.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Yes
    I had it in my mind that it was the third but I could be wrong.

I remember feeling that Hibs were quite comfortable when we were given it, and thinking that it would have been very controversial in a closer game.
    sure it was the fourth goal so not really make much difference as Dunfermline were gash.

3 up after 15 minutes.

Hanlon got the 4th.

Buchwald's dive and play-acting to get Gazza booked in the semi at Italia '90. Buchwald should have been booked not Gazza.
    Last edited by 007; 19-04-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not sure if it has been mentioned already but the Falkirk handball at ER in the play offs

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Try as I might I'm still comfortable with the idea that the thieves got lucky again, this time at the expense of a terrific young player.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Buchwald's dive and play-acting to get Gazza booked in the semi at Italia '90. Buchwald should have been booked not Gazza.
    Didn't really change the outcome though did it. Actually think it was a yellow but no doubt he exaggerated it hugely. That World Cup was one of the worst for play acting.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Not sure if it has been mentioned already but the Falkirk handball at ER in the play offs
    I'm not convinced with this one, it was such an obvious penalty that the only conclusion I can come to is that the officials didn't want to see it. Similarly at Ibrox when Lee McCulloch (i think) dragged the ball away from a Hibs player in the box with his arm.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Germany’s winning penalty against Argentina in the Italia 90 Final.

invisible foul on Rudi Voller. Denying Maradona a second world cup

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    Germany’s winning penalty against Argentina in the Italia 90 Final.

invisible foul on Rudi Voller. Denying Maradona a second world cup
    So England cheated Germany, Argentina cheated England, and Germany cheated Argentina - all evens itself out over a decade or two.

I find it increasingly difficult to argue against having the best quality information available to referees to make the right decisions. But the illogical part of me still likes the levels of controversy that come from judgement and human error within football.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    So England cheated Germany, Argentina cheated England, and Germany cheated Argentina - all evens itself out over a decade or two.

I find it increasingly difficult to argue against having the best quality information available to referees to make the right decisions. But the illogical part of me still likes the levels of controversy that come from judgement and human error within football.
    There is still controversy with VAR. however that’s because people don’t know the laws, it’s relative newness and novelty.

In 20 years we will look back and wonder WTF we did without VAR and goal line technology. (Neither of which we currently have in Scotland at the moment).

J

Pretty sure that Pat Fenlon was the manager that night. Crowd numbers were swelled to some extent as your ticket that night was put in a big hat and if you were unlucky enough you had a chance of buying tickets for the Scottish Cup Final later that month. My ticket was pulled out the hat.

It was a rainy night but remember singing Sunshine on Leith at the final whistle. It was a great night and a huge relief to avoid relegation.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Would using it in the toilets at dens park in 1986 have been allowed?

**** me. Am I not alone in having this memory of pishing up against a wall at that cup semi against the sheep?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBremian View Post
    **** me. Am I not alone in having this memory of pishing up against a wall at that cup semi against the sheep?
    That brought a few panic stricken memories back. We went up in a mini bus and were stuck in traffic for ages. Missed the first ten minutes or so of the game. Another day of disaster following Hibs.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Schumacher on Battiston. 1982.
    Was going to mention that.

A clear case of assault occasioning GBH.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Was going to mention that.

A clear case of assault occasioning GBH.
    Chesterfield 1997 semi final v Middlesbrough, ball clearly in but not given preventing them a chance of the fa cup final.