hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the conditions attached to Orange Order marches or similar is that they stop playing when passing places of worship to avoid inciting trouble. Last year someone spectating at the march assaulted a member of the public going about his everyday business outside a place of worship.

This isn't a discrimination against Protestant culture (or even against a small fraternal organisation within Protestantism). It's a measure to protect the public from people who can't control themselves around a Catholic Church.

It's very sad really. I'll be attending an ecumenical Stations of The Cross tonight jointly organised by the local Catholic, Church of Scotland, Episcopalian and Baptist Church whilst later this month others will be marching about singing songs of hatred. I think I know who' gets' the message of Easter and who doesn't.
    Well said. I’ll be at a similar service in Leith this evening. Vanguard Bears have nothing in common with any church going Protestants I know.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    SPUD eh? That sounds a-peeling
    Oh no, don't start with puns. Others will just chip in.

Quote Originally Posted by Besties Debut View Post
    They seem oblivious to the reasons the march is getting diverted. Mind you spitting on priests is probably not a big deal to them.
    A badge of honour I'd have thought.

It's very sad really. I'll be attending an ecumenical Stations of The Cross tonight jointly organised by the local Catholic, Church of Scotland, Episcopalian and Baptist Church whilst later this month others will be marching about singing songs of hatred. I think I know who' gets' the message of Easter and who doesn't.

I wonder how many of them actually demonstrate their 'christian' beliefs in everyday life.

@hibs.net private member
    Save the goats.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Save the goats.
    I'm more worried about the vans now to be honest. These are the people who lost an entire football club so why let them guard a van?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    I'm more worried about the vans now to be honest. These are the people who lost an entire football club so why let them guard a van?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Does HC not do something like that with trains?

Can I be the first to call them orange *******s?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I bet you not one of the Vangaurd Bears attends church outwith weddings and funerals or actually practices the religion they claim to to be protecting. They’re ideology is sectarianism and bigotry, not the Protestant faith. Take Rangers out the equation and not one of them would have any interest in this at all. Clowns

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    This.

Never understood their mentality - how can you be a Protestant Atheist? I'd wager plenty of these idiots haven't been in a church other than for weddings or funerals.
    I think the mentality is 'I hate you because you don't bother going to a different church from the one I don't bother going to'.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    IMO it’s all part of them pining for a social order that doesn’t exist anymore, when Protestants were the “peepul”, you could be sure if a job over a Catholic lad. Society from the King downward was geared to protecting “The Faith”.

Catholic’s were second class citizens.

Now the world is more enlightened, their superiority has been eroded. They have to compete in life with Kafflicks, Muslims, Brown people, black people and they rage against this.

Think the last two global elections

USA - “Make America Great AGAIN”
    Brexit - “Take BACK Control”

Both selling an idea that things were better. This is lapped up and gives them a sense of superiority that things genuinely were better when Catholic’s were inferior to them.

Sadly this narrative is tearing its head much more in the world and we are having to deal with the ugly consequences.

J

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    I think the mentality is 'I hate you because you don't bother going to a different church from the one I don't bother going to'.
    Which to anybody with > 1 brain cell is mental. The idea of protestant or catholic atheists is absurd.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    One of the conditions attached to Orange Order marches or similar is that they stop playing when passing places of worship to avoid inciting trouble. Last year someone spectating at the march assaulted a member of the public going about his everyday business outside a place of worship.

This isn't a discrimination against Protestant culture (or even against a small fraternal organisation within Protestantism). It's a measure to protect the public from people who can't control themselves around a Catholic Church.

A condition they often like to ignore when they can get away with it, making a point of stopping outside a Catholic church, playing a sectarian ditty and smashing hell out of that big drum whilst the clowns who are watching lap it up.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    IMO it’s all part of them pining for a social order that doesn’t exist anymore, when Protestants were the “peepul”, you could be sure if a job over a Catholic lad. Society from the King downward was geared to protecting “The Faith”.

Catholic’s were second class citizens.

Now the world is more enlightened, their superiority has been eroded. They have to compete in life with Kafflicks, Muslims, Brown people, black people and they rage against this.

Think the last two global elections

USA - “Make America Great AGAIN”
    Brexit - “Take BACK Control”

Both selling an idea that things were better. This is lapped up and gives them a sense of superiority that things genuinely were better when Catholic’s were inferior to them.

Sadly this narrative is tearing its head much more in the world and we are having to deal with the ugly consequences.

J
    Excellent post. To groups like the OO and far right political parties, equality means they are being discriminated against.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    Superb.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Well said. I’ll be at a similar service in Leith this evening. Vanguard Bears have nothing in common with any church going Protestants I know.
    As will I. TBH, I also look forward to the hot cross buns in the hall afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Can I be the first to call them orange *******s?

Don't you know that's a sectarian term, due to the equivalance between being Orange and Protestant?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Don't you know that's a sectarian term, due to the equivalance between being Orange and Protestant?
    Hmmph, next you'll be telling me I can't call them Hun *******s either