hibs.net Messageboard

Official Site: SHAW HOPING TO FEEL THE BENEFIT OF LEARNING A NEW POSITION

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Interesting that he scored from an indirect free kick.

We don't see many of them anymore. Does anyone know why it was awarded?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Goalie held on to the ball for too long

Good to see a Ref with balls

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Goalie held on to the ball for too long

Good to see a Ref with balls
    15 seconds or so
    I’d thought that rule had gone as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    15 seconds or so
    I’d thought that rule had gone as well?
    I remember we scored v Dundee utd at Tannadice in similar circumstances, Paul Tosh scored after a retake

Presumably Shaw is learning that role with a view to him playing there next season, with Kamberi up front and McNulty back at Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Presumably Shaw is learning that role with a view to him playing there next season, with Kamberi up front and McNulty back at Reading!
    Kamberi seemingly played on the left as an inside forward before he came to us. Wenger always wanted his forwards to be more than just strikers, just look at Man C, Liverpool etc, they play with 3 up top who can all play left, right or middle. Sterling has scored 21 this season and he started as a winger, all about fluidity in the team.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Played this role last 2 reserve games, and scored 2 goals, so working so far

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Played this role last 2 reserve games, and scored 2 goals, so working so far
    He was banging them in when he was in his previous position for the development too though to be fair

Is this Euphemism Month on DotNet?

I think Shaw's development would be heading this way regardless. Certainly it would under Heck at least.

He sems to be applying himself well. Hopefully goes on to prove some of the doubters on here wrong.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    I remember we scored v Dundee utd at Tannadice in similar circumstances, Paul Tosh scored after a retake
    Think everyone was waiting on Charnley to do something and he slid Tosh in. Christ, things went badly wrong after that.

Left by mutual consent!
    I really like Shaw, he's going to be a big player for us, hopefully soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Its not possible to score from an indirect free kick.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Its not possible to score from an indirect free kick.
    Unless it hits someone else on the way into the goals

The goals are on Hibs TV. It was tapped to him first.

Cracking finish and such an understated celebration from Oli and the other players. Very much just a this is what we do.

I don't understand why he gets a hard time. He's had about as many goals as Riordan had at the same age. I've got a lot of time for Oli, he's unusual as a young Hibs striker coming through the ranks in that as well as the eye for goal he actually seems to be a sensible laddie.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Cracking finish and such an understated celebration from Oli and the other players. Very much just a this is what we do.

I don't understand why he gets a hard time. He's had about as many goals as Riordan had at the same age. I've got a lot of time for Oli, he's unusual as a young Hibs striker coming through the ranks in that as well as the eye for goal he actually seems to be a sensible laddie.
    He has great feet, I think his height blinds people to the fact that he is actually just a player with great close control and movement, who can make space for himself to find a shot on target, Plus he has the skill to take on longer shots and snap chances.

I or I guess all of us have seen lots of forwards coming through the age groups who were scoring for fun. I’m in no doubt that Shaw is better then Damon Gray, Kurtis Byrne or any of the others who were lighting it up in the dev teams.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Kamberi seemingly played on the left as an inside forward before he came to us. Wenger always wanted his forwards to be more than just strikers, just look at Man C, Liverpool etc, they play with 3 up top who can all play left, right or middle. Sterling has scored 21 this season and he started as a winger, all about fluidity in the team.
    Wenger had a simple enough tactic in that he overloaded the left. At its best this involved Ashley Cole overlapping, Bobby Pires cutting inside and Thierry Henry drifting out to the left and away from the central defenders. Countless goals as a consequence, especially because if teams did try and counter it they gave up space on their own left for players like Ljungberg to exploit.

If, a big if, but if Allan was to return, he had very good link-up play with Stevenson last time round that could be recreated with Kamberi or Shaw to create similar overloads. Exacerbated by Hanlon who tends to link up very well with Lewis, albeit more when we play three at the back than four.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    He has great feet, I think his height blinds people to the fact that he is actually just a player with great close control and movement, who can make space for himself to find a shot on target, Plus he has the skill to take on longer shots and snap chances.

I or I guess all of us have seen lots of forwards coming through the age groups who were scoring for fun. I’m in no doubt that Shaw is better then Damon Gray, Kurtis Byrne or any of the others who were lighting it up in the dev teams.
    Indeed. The players mentioned along with Ross Caldwell, Ross Campbell, Steve Pinau and probably other young strikers didn't offer enough. Shaw has scored 10 league goals and has a 1 in 4 ratio with so many of those appearances being from the bench. He'd walk into a bottom 6 side and could quickly make us regret letting him go. An excellent third striker option who deserves game time. Be interesting to see how he gets up to speed in the wide role.

Darnell Johnson, totally forgot about him.

What I see with Shaw is often the opposite to what I hear and accept from him.

I don't see a player who us a particularly composed finisher at first team level, but that is meant to be his best attribute for the youngsters. I'd like to see him go on loan to a Championship club who make loads of chances and are looking to get promoted do he can get a taste of playing every week, getting chances and scoring goals. He'd get the quick fire experience of missing chances and knowing he needs to take the next one - experience that was invaluable for Cummings.

His all-round game is miles better than I had expected, his touch, play with back to goal, pace and ability to win the odd header are all much better than he gets credit for.

I wasn't mad on him after his first handful of appearances but his next few after that were very good. There is a really good player in there and with the right nurturing I think we have a top player on our hands.

He needs games next season though. Lots of them.