hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: McGinn

I remember when half the fans would actually argue that Mcgeough was the better player. Cultured yadda yadda yadda. Look at them now.
    Harry Rednapp, Frank Lampard and Scotty Canhem come to mind (ps it’s a great you tube clip that one).

SJM best Hibs player since Sauzee.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutchie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember when half the fans would actually argue that Mcgeough was the better player. Cultured yadda yadda yadda. Look at them now.
    Harry Rednapp, Frank Lampard and Scotty Canhem come to mind (ps it’s a great you tube clip that one).

Ridiculous comparison and needless dig at Dylan. I don’t remember Scotty getting capped for his country and winning silverware with West Ham.

Good point. Use a thread admiring a Hibs legend to put down another Hibs legend.

Shut up. Both excellent players. Hardly surprising that the bigger, stronger more athletic one is doing better in England. Not surprisingly Dylan didn't renew when this is how some speak about him.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Ridiculous comparison and needless dig at Dylan. I don’t remember Scotty getting capped for his country and winning silverware with West Ham.
    Wasn’t meant like that. Just shows that some thought Mcginn would go to the top when many others thought Dylan was better.
    Wasn’t a dig at Dylan, he’s a very good player and cup winning legend.

Btw neither did Lampard - I don’t think, and can’t be bothered checking.

Doesn't matter if he's at a big club at Villa. They're not in England's top league. He'll want to test himself at Old Trafford and Anfield. If an EPL team come in for him he'll struggle to say no.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Shut up. Both excellent players. Hardly surprising that the bigger, stronger more athletic one is doing better in England. Not surprisingly Dylan didn't renew when this is how some speak about him.
    Your description is fine except Mcginn is also technically better. You’ll probably find he’s smaller than half the league down there.

As if Dylan would go crying about not signing because a fan thinks he’s very good, but not as good as Mcginn lol.
    Try because the board never offered him the amount it would take to stay or even as much as Aberdeen supposedly.

Your description is fine except Mcginn is also technically better. You’ll probably find he’s smaller than half the league down there.

As if Dylan would go crying about not signing because a fan thinks he’s very good, but not as good as Mcginn lol.
    Try because the board never offered him the amount it would take to stay or even as much as Aberdeen supposedly.
    McGinn must be near 6ft, definitely not shorter than half the league. Being short or tall isn't really the physical attributes I'm talking about. He's quicker, stronger, fitter etc, that's a big pro he has over McGeouch.

The board didn't pay him money they couldn't afford. Shocker. Lennon also didn't show him much loyalty, telling him to find a new club during his injuries. That's why he left.

McGinn must be near 6ft, definitely not shorter than half the league. Being short or tall isn't really the physical attributes I'm talking about. He's quicker, stronger, fitter etc, that's a big pro he has over McGeouch.
    He’s 5ft10 probably shorter than half the league Anyway I think we’re agreed he has better attributes than Dylan, including technically.

The board didn't pay him money they couldn't afford. Shocker. Lennon also didn't show him much loyalty, telling him to find a new club during his injuries. That's why he left.
    Again we’re agreed that he never left because some people didn’t think he was as good as Mcginn but for money. So it doesn’t really matter fans opinion of him.

Left by mutual consent!
    What’s Dylan’s situation? Can’t see him playing much if Sunderland go up at this rate. Loan next season?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    What’s Dylan’s situation? Can’t see him playing much if Sunderland go up at this rate. Loan next season?
    He’s no chance of playing if they go up imo. Would love to see him back.

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    At the Bolton-Villa game today. As a Bolton season ticket holder I’m obviously hoping McGinn has a bit of a stinker but he’s playing well so far. Had a good chat with a Hibby I bumped in to on the concourse before the game.
    I was that Hibby. Nice talking to you too. Thought SJM was best player on the park especially the first half when he was the only player from either team that looked like scoring.
    His pass to grealish for second goal was sublime.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Is John not about 5ft 8in or so

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He is indeed Billy, at 1.78m... Which is really actually 10ft when you're up against him on the pitch

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    He is indeed Billy, at 1.78m... Which is really actually 10ft when you're up against him on the pitch
    That’s why he’s called meatball

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    He’s no chance of playing if they go up imo. Would love to see him back.
    You cannot play if you are injured

Simples

If they do go up they will want to keep hold of their best players

I do not expect to see Dylan back at Easter Road anytime soon

Besides there is no way we could afford his wages

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Simples

He’s had plenty time out of the Sunderland team when fit and available this year. If he isn’t a regular when fit in league one, he won’t be a regular if they are playing in the league above.

I don’t think Jack Ross sees him as one of their best players.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I'm six foot and got a pic with him on my stag do, he's a couple inches shorter than me. Far more handsome though.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Simples

He’s been on the bench quite a bit this season from what I’ve saw. Of course when he’s injured he won’t be playing but if he’s on the bench fairly frequently in League One and also struggling to stay fit then I’d suspect they’ll be looking to improve on him.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    He’s had plenty time out of the Sunderland team when fit and available this year. If he isn’t a regular when fit in league one, he won’t be a regular if they are playing in the league above.
    As someone who watches Sunderland regularly I think your right about how ross views him, however I think he is wrong. When McGeouch plays Sunderland play better and concede less. He played two blinders after Wembley but got a rib injury against Burton so has missed out. Hopefully fit again and gets his chance.
    Last edited by Cardinal G; 19-04-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Has played 29 games this season includes 2 in FA Cup and 6 in EFL Trophy has a run get injured has a run gets injured similar to his time at HIBS

Jack Ross maintains he does not have a problem with him always does what he is asked to do

Got injured recently versus Burton Albion

Wont be home anytime soon

Has played 29 games this season includes 2 in FA Cup and 6 in EFL Trophy has a run get injured has a run gets injured similar to his time at HIBS

Jack Ross maintains he does not have a problem with him always does what he is asked to do

Have they all been starts?

McGeough hasn’t been a regular down there in league one, however you want to spin it. Hard to see that he would be if they go up a league.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal G View Post
    As someone who watches Sunderland regularly I think your right about how ross views him, however I think he is wrong. When McGeouch plays Sunderland play better and concede less. He played two blinders after Wembley but got a rib injury against Burton so has missed out. Hopefully fit again and gets his chance.
    Was never sure that he’d fit in down there. The number of games they play was never going to be suited to him.

Best thing Dylan could have done, IMO, was go abroad like Liam Henderson. Would have suited his game.

@hibs.net private member

Out of Sunderland’s 42 league games this season, he has been in the squad 33 times. Only 14 of them were starts, he came on as sub in 7 of them and was left on the bench for the other 12

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Out of Sunderland’s 42 league games this season, he has been in the squad 33 times. Only 14 of them were starts, he came on as sub in 7 of them and was left on the bench for the other 12
    No worries

I admit he has started as a sub and been unused more times than I am sure he would have liked

I am sure he is not happy to simply pick up a wage

I prefer to go with the Sunderland fans on here who watch their team week in week out and can see the qualities that he brings to the team

He has always been injury prone and playing in the lower leagues in England he was always going to pick up injuries due to his style of play and the nature of the football played at that level

I still do not think he will be back in a HIBS strip anytime soon

Onwards and upwards

Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post
    I was that Hibby. Nice talking to you too. Thought SJM was best player on the park especially the first half when he was the only player from either team that looked like scoring.
    His pass to grealish for second goal was sublime.
    Good to meet you pal. Must admit I was quite impressed with Grealish - he looks a real athlete, though I suppose our midfield didn’t offer much opposition - but McGinn looks so effortless all of the time. Villa are hitting form at the right time so look a good bet for the play offs so we’ll be seeing him in the EPL sooner rather than later.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Bumped into a load of Sunderland fans in Kitty O’Shea’s after the derby. They were all up on a stag and none of them had anything good to say about Dylan. For him we were the right club at the right time we just worked! I have doubts if he came back it would work out the same way.

Was never sure that he’d fit in down there. The number of games they play was never going to be suited to him.

Best thing Dylan could have done, IMO, was go abroad like Liam Henderson. Would have suited his game.
    It's been seen so often: sometimes a new team just fits a player like a glove, and sometimes a move just doesnt work out. Villas been a winner for McGinn and Sunderland hasn't worked out as well for Dylan, but it doesn't prove one is a significantly worse player than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It's been seen so often: sometimes a new team just fits a player like a glove, and sometimes a move just doesnt work out. Villas been a winner for McGinn and Sunderland hasn't worked out as well for Dylan, but it doesn't prove one is a significantly worse player than the other.
    I think McGinn is a better player than McGeough.

He’s playing week in, week out at a better level and at a younger age. If he doesn’t get promoted with his current team he could well end up moving for millions of pounds.

I think McGeough is a brilliant player at our level by the way so I don’t want it to appear that I’m slating him, because I’m not, and my original post wasn’t even a comparison. But I do think McGinn will play at a far higher level for the remainder of their careers though.

John McGinn is for me the top player I’ve seen at Hibs in 40 years of watching. To go down to Villa, a massive club and be universally raved about is some achievement for a still young boy... but are any of us even remotely surprised?

The lack of interest in him until he left was utterly staggering ... the fact we were able to obtain his services when in the 1st Division is mind blowing. He will be an EPL player within a year or 2 at most and he will also be terrific at that level which says it all.

Scott Brown could have done it but didn’t have the balls, Fletcher gave it a decent crack and John Collins got there but nobody else is that close to McGinn’s level in recent times.