hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: McGinn

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s not unusual. Basically any money we receive for McGinn, St. Mirren get a percentage no matter when we receive the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure we had similar with Steven Fletcher when he got various big moves. We always got a percentage of them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hi Guys Villa fan here. You are right we love him. We know he is a fantastic player. He probably will get player of the season but might not. Tammy Abrahams is on for the top striker in the league, he'll probably get third. Its between Jack Grealish and SJM. The best way of describing them is SJM is a Mercedes F1 car and Jack is Lewis Hamilton. And they are great mates. The other 2 possibilities for POTS are your guy who sold him to us and the idiot at Celtic who wouldn't stump up the cash.

As for the fee, who knows. Spurs did offer £35M for Jack but only on the last day of the window, new owners didn't need the money then and wanted to make a statement.

We are hoping we will go up, and think with both of them we have a top half central midfield. If that happens the sky is the limit on transfer fees.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango Man View Post
    That's exactly why I keep an eye on him after his exit, a brilliant professional who never gave anything less than 100% for Hibs, was part of so many glorious moments for us.

I remember a couple of years ago I was having an argument with a jambo in work (one of the most blinkered stubborn Jambos I have ever met) about who was better, McGinn or Jamie Walker, he could not accept that McGinn is about 5 times the player of Walker, crazy.
    And now? What’s his opinion?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colhint View Post
    Hi Guys Villa fan here. You are right we love him. We know he is a fantastic player. He probably will get player of the season but might not. Tammy Abrahams is on for the top striker in the league, he'll probably get third. Its between Jack Grealish and SJM. The best way of describing them is SJM is a Mercedes F1 car and Jack is Lewis Hamilton. And they are great mates. The other 2 possibilities for POTS are your guy who sold him to us and the idiot at Celtic who wouldn't stump up the cash.

As for the fee, who knows. Spurs did offer £35M for Jack but only on the last day of the window, new owners didn't need the money then and wanted to make a statement.

We are hoping we will go up, and think with both of them we have a top half central midfield. If that happens the sky is the limit on transfer fees.
    I hope he stays if you guys go up. I've no doubt in my mind he'll take the EPL by storm as well and then get a move to one of the big boys.

I ******g miss him

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I hope he stays if you guys go up. I've no doubt in my mind he'll take the EPL by storm as well and then get a move to one of the big boys.

I ******g miss him

You're missing him. So do we and It's only been 2 days we cant wait for tomorrow.

One of the things we were discussing is who's he like. The closest we have come up with is Gareth Barrys' skill and James Milners engine. And they have over 100 caps between them.

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Sure we had similar with Steven Fletcher when he got various big moves. We always got a percentage of them.
    As I understand it, they're typically nominal amounts, it's not going to be a sizable chunk of change like you would normally get with a proper sell-on clause (unless the value of the transfer is really big), and even then the money comes from the selling club (so Hibs wouldn't owe St Mirren a penny)

You're missing him. So do we and It's only been 2 days we cant wait for tomorrow.

One of the things we were discussing is who's he like. The closest we have come up with is Gareth Barrys' skill and James Milners engine. And they have over 100 caps between them.
    Knowing the English market better than we do if McGinn was to be sold in the summer how much would Villa be looking for?

The best thing about him, over and above the fact that he's a quality player is that he's a really good lad as well.

Rich English clubs have been rinsed silly by some players who are sadly lacking in moral fibre (was Charles N'Zogbia not one of your worst)?

SJM will give you everything he has (which is a lot) on the park, and if you're good to him he'll make sure he sees you right when he leaves. He did that with St Mirren and did that with us. The time was right for him to leave us and he moved on with the blessing of all of us.

@hibs.net private member

Maybe a cross between Billy Bremner and Bobby Murdoch from 1960’s 🤔

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

I ******g miss him
    People tend to forget that Villa were one of the big boys not so long ago. No reason they can't be again, especially with the team they're building

https://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/honours/

... and yeah! I miss him too

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Knowing the English market better than we do if McGinn was to be sold in the summer how much would Villa be looking for?
    If we go up and he performs like we know, we'd be daft to look below 30

If Declan Rice is reportedly worth £50 million, SJM is worth every bit of £30 million. Best scenario is Villa going up and keeping him for one more season. Once the EPL sees exactly what John is about, clubs will be all over him.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Maybe a cross between Billy Bremner and Bobby Murdoch from 1960’s 🤔

Yup were on the same mindset. Can't think of many better than them 2

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackjoeT!! View Post
    We should be incredibly proud for helping develop a raw talent at St Mirren and turning him into a wonderful all action footballer.

The Villa fans absolutely love him, week after week he wins their Man of the Match award and they cannot believe what a player they have. Read through some of the comment on this Villa forum!

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/1868...erham-v-villa/

If Villa do not get promoted this season there are bound to be mid-level Premier League clubs of the calibre of Leicester and Everton sniffing around. If he moves it will be for big money and we will get the financial windfall we deserve.

Hibs legend
    I think the 'raw' chat underplays how good he was when he first arrived and the part St Mirren obviously played in his development. I'd hate it when hes in the EPL if Villa fans bang on about how they developed him as a 'raw' talent.

He's just a great, great player with a big future and clearly the guy who everyone likes too.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    People tend to forget that Villa were one of the big boys not so long ago. No reason they can't be again, especially with the team they're building

https://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/honours/

... and yeah! I miss him too
    Of course. I hope if Villa do go up that they can get back to being in and around the European places.

I reckon SJM could go to one of the real current big hitters though. Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs etc. Chelsea should sign him and pair him with ****e, the level of running in the middle would be unheard of

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The best thing about him, over and above the fact that he's a quality player is that he's a really good lad as well.

Rich English clubs have been rinsed silly by some players who are sadly lacking in moral fibre (was Charles N'Zogbia not one of your worst)?

SJM will give you everything he has (which is a lot) on the park, and if you're good to him he'll make sure he sees you right when he leaves. He did that with St Mirren and did that with us. The time was right for him to leave us and he moved on with the blessing of all of us.
    This this and this again. Your'e right about zog. But most teams have suffered the same.

He's just what we all want our footballers to be, not show ponys or nasty little buggers who go out to hurt. Just 100% heart and 100% effort.

Actually I was thinking, and I'm in no way qualified to tell you lot how to run your club. But you should maybe look at some loan deals on a transfer. It seems money is much tighter up there. But when an approach comes, If Hibs had said we want x pounds for McGinn and a sell on deal plus we want to look at your fringe/Acadamy players. If we like the look at any of them, we'll have them for a year free. There are plenty of real good players out there.
    We'd have still snapped your hands off.

One last thing Is Jon Snow based on McGinn

Right I'm off to watch a movie so goodnight lads.

Still think Sunshine on Leith is the classiest thing I have ever seen in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Apparently last night was awesome. Notice he was up against ex Falkirk wannabe hardman Vaulks, who was booked and fortunate not to be sent off.

Gives me enormous satisfaction to see McGinn come out on top in a tussle with an ex Falkirk player , especially after ignoramus Houston trying to belittle him.

Since Houston's outburst Mcginn's career has gone in to overdrive. Anyone got any idea where Houston has ended up?

Sorry to send the thread off at a tangent but my dislike of Houston is intense.

There, I feel better already.
    I was the same about Houston until I had a few pints with him in our hotel in Molde. Thoroughly decent guy - a real football man - and had some good stories to tell.

One last thing Is Jon Snow based on McGinn

Right I'm off to watch a movie so goodnight lads.

Still think Sunshine on Leith is the classiest thing I have ever seen in football.
    Does SJM have a natty line in ties like?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    As I understand it, they're typically nominal amounts, it's not going to be a sizable chunk of change like you would normally get with a proper sell-on clause (unless the value of the transfer is really big), and even then the money comes from the selling club (so Hibs wouldn't owe St Mirren a penny)
    You’re confusing solidarity payments with sell-on agreements. Solidarity payments are made regardless of any sell-on agreements.

If we agreed a 30% sell on with St Mirren, they will be due 30% of any future income we receive for John McGinn.

Left by mutual consent!
    Best player I have seen at Hibs for a long time. Raging we only got £2.5m for him but hopeful we will see a rise in that when he eventually moves on and if Villa get promoted this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    You’re confusing solidarity payments with sell-on agreements. Solidarity payments are made regardless of any sell-on agreements.

If we agreed a 30% sell on with St Mirren, they will be due 30% of any future income we receive for John McGinn.
    Not necessarily, it depends on exactly what the clause says, it could easily exclude anything other than the initial fee.

Keep reading this type of thing but nobody knows that. Contractual agreements between clubs could be absolutely anything. They might get something, the might not. They might have had someone negotiating who never looked beyond him moving on for Hibs for all we know.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Keep reading this type of thing but nobody knows that. Contractual agreements between clubs could be absolutely anything. They might get something, the might not. They might have had someone negotiating who never looked beyond him moving on for Hibs for all we know.
    Exactly. Only the clubs know what’s been agreed. Too many people making things up about the SJM deal.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Why does everyone keep putting an I in celtc?

If the self proclaimed best fans in the world can spend several families giros on a banner without the I then the least we should do is recognise the effort they put into it.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Be nice if the club actually told us what the deal was. Pretty sure Petrie said it was nowhere near 30%. He’s gone now, so telling us shouldn’t be a big deal.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Not necessarily, it depends on exactly what the clause says, it could easily exclude anything other than the initial fee.
    It could but it won’t.

Testimonial Due
    With Hibs off purchased one off video pass from AVTV, can’t wait to watch SJM.

It could but it won’t.
    Why's that? There is no template for these clauses, they can be whatever the club's want.

@hibs.net private member
    This is from the Villa Twitter account.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1116809939396300806