hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: McGinn

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    John McGinn is for me the top player Iíve seen at Hibs in 40 years of watching. To go down to Villa, a massive club and be universally raved about is some achievement for a still young boy... but are any of us even remotely surprised?

The lack of interest in him until he left was utterly staggering ... the fact we were able to obtain his services when in the 1st Division is mind blowing. He will be an EPL player within a year or 2 at most and he will also be terrific at that level which says it all.

Scott Brown could have done it but didnít have the balls, Fletcher gave it a decent crack and John Collins got there but nobody else is that close to McGinnís level in recent times.
    Good post. John is already on the road to achieving more than Brown because of the move he has now made and where his career highs will be, and it won't be at celtc or the team they are supply bitches to, Southampton.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

2. Log in to remove the advert

Better than Collins at Hibs? Both great but I can't decide.
    Collins was my hero watching Hibs as a teenager, McGinn has obviously achieved more wearing a Hibs jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    John McGinn is for me the top player Iíve seen at Hibs in 40 years of watching. To go down to Villa, a massive club and be universally raved about is some achievement for a still young boy... but are any of us even remotely surprised?

The lack of interest in him until he left was utterly staggering ... the fact we were able to obtain his services when in the 1st Division is mind blowing. He will be an EPL player within a year or 2 at most and he will also be terrific at that level which says it all.

Scott Brown could have done it but didnít have the balls, Fletcher gave it a decent crack and John Collins got there but nobody else is that close to McGinnís level in recent times.
    Completely agree. Thomson would have made it also if he didnít leave for Glasgow and got injured a lot.

The only 2 players I would be that confident that would leave us and make it big time down there was Murphy who should have bar injury done more and Fletch. The rest went west.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Dearie me!

Scott Brown is a great player both for HIBS Celtic and for Scotland

Throughout his career he has had the Bowieesque ability to reinvent himself from full back, centre forward and attacking to defensive midfielder to help prolong his career

He is Captain of Celtic Football Club and a former Scotland Captain

Scott Brown has won 8 SPL titles 6 Scottish League Cups 4 Scottish Cups and 55 full Scotland caps

SJM is a good young player with loads of potential of that there is no doubt

He has won a League Cup and a Scottish Cup

The achievements of Scott Brown should never be underestimated

He has done well to have had such a successful career for a player that was rejected by The Rangers for being too small given a chance at HIBS and through no little skill, positive mental attitude, physical strength, focus, sheer professionalism and determination to be the best he can be have guaranteed his place as a HIBS and Celtic legend and a future Scotland Hall of famer

I have no doubt if Scott Brown had decided to move down south he would have been a success

My own memories of Scott Brown as a HIBS player include the Scottish League Cup Final 2007 two brilliant performances in two 0-3 victories one in which he played with a broken leg at Ibroke and a superb victory at Parkhead with Tony Mowbrays Teenage Kicks

4m now sounds too cheap but good business for us at the time.

He is now approaching the twilight of his career but the key to our success on Sunday will be to stop him playing

Even at 33 he is still such an important and influential player for Celtic

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Seven Nil PSN ID: 0 7 Wii Code: 01011973 07
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Dearie me!

Scott Brown is a great player both for HIBS Celtic and for Scotland

Throughout his career he has had the Bowieesque ability to reinvent himself from full back, centre forward and attacking to defensive midfielder to help prolong his career

He is Captain of Celtic Football Club and a former Scotland Captain

Scott Brown has won 8 SPL titles 6 Scottish League Cups 4 Scottish Cups and 55 full Scotland caps

SJM is a good young player with loads of potential of that there is no doubt

He has won a League Cup and a Scottish Cup

The achievements of Scott Brown should never be underestimated

He has done well to have had such a successful career for a player that was rejected by The Rangers for being too small given a chance at HIBS and through no little skill, positive mental attitude, physical strength, focus, sheer professionalism and determination to be the best he can be have guaranteed his place as a HIBS and Celtic legend and a future Scotland Hall of famer

I have no doubt if Scott Brown had decided to move down south he would have been a success

My own memories of Scott Brown as a HIBS player include the Scottish League Cup Final 2007 two brilliant performances in two 0-3 victories one in which he played with a broken leg at Ibroke and a superb victory at Parkhead with Tony Mowbrays Teenage Kicks

4m now sounds too cheap but good business for us at the time.

He is now approaching the twilight of his career but the key to our success on Sunday will be to stop him playing

Even at 33 he is still such an important and influential player for Celtic
    Totally agree people have short memories. John Collins was also a fantastic player for a number of top clubs and Scotland. McGinn is an great player but don't underestimate the achievements of others and remember how far McGinn still has to go.

For all that he was an excellent player Brown remains a virtual unknown outside of Scotland because he never left to move up to the level he should have been playing at. That he has never played in the EPL and never played in an international finals tournament is a real shame - but those are two things McGinn could conceivably achieve within 18 months.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    For all that he was an excellent player Brown remains a virtual unknown outside of Scotland because he never left to move up to the level he should have been playing at. That he has never played in the EPL and never played in an international finals tournament is a real shame - but those are two things McGinn could conceivably achieve within 18 months.
    In 2007 HIBS agreed a fee with English Premier League club Reading but Brown turned down the move preferring to stay with HIBS until the end of his contract 2009

What a move that would have been?

He was then linked with Rangers but eventually signed for Celtic for 4.4m

I wish SJM all the best

The highest compliment that can be paid to SJM is that Celtic saw him as a replacement for a young box to box midfielder called Scott Brown unfortunately they could not afford him

I agree that Scott Brown coulda shudda played at a higher level but sometimes things are not meant to be.

He is a fit for Celtic and has had a long career with them,just as Scott Allan is a fit for HIBS

The point of my post was to highlight the fact that there have been other better midfield players at Easter Road than SJM imho ( Cropley Edwards Stanton Bremner Collins Latapy Brown Johnstone) to name but a few but Brown has been it seen it got the tee shirt albeit not in the EPL and SJM has his career ahead of him and still has it all to do

Hibs fans have short memories

I can see the pound signs already

I think we are asking the wrong question here.
    1. Who will have the better career. Undoubtedly sjm.
    2. Who is the best player. I can see both sides of the discussion.
    3. Who is the most talented and best football player. Undoubtedly Dylan for me. A sublime player who saw a pass before he got the ball and very rarely wasted possession. In Europe he would be more appreciated but sjm is more appreciated in Scotland for his combative style. This is not to decry sjm,I love his style and swagger but Dylan to me was how I would coach a young kid to aspire to.
    Let's just appreciate what a wonderful midfield three we had and what a huge sigh of relief in Gorgie when they went.
    IMHO if Dylan didn't have his injury record he would be the best player in that all conquering celtic team or be playing for the likes of wolves or Watford.
    All about opinions of course but Dylan to me was almost as good as latapy and sauzee and that says it all. BTW I'm afraid sjm is not better than latapy.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    When all is done and Scott Brown looks back on his career, Iím sure being the Celtic Captain to lift 10-in-a-row and be immortalised as one of the UKs biggest football clubs all-time-greats will be fairly satisfying.

John McGinn will have a far more varied career going down south. He has already etched his name into Hibernian folklore as a legend. I hope he does that at AV and many other top clubs.