hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: McGinn

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    John McGinn is for me the top player I’ve seen at Hibs in 40 years of watching. To go down to Villa, a massive club and be universally raved about is some achievement for a still young boy... but are any of us even remotely surprised?

The lack of interest in him until he left was utterly staggering ... the fact we were able to obtain his services when in the 1st Division is mind blowing. He will be an EPL player within a year or 2 at most and he will also be terrific at that level which says it all.

Scott Brown could have done it but didn’t have the balls, Fletcher gave it a decent crack and John Collins got there but nobody else is that close to McGinn’s level in recent times.
    Good post. John is already on the road to achieving more than Brown because of the move he has now made and where his career highs will be, and it won't be at celtc or the team they are supply bitches to, Southampton.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

2. Log in to remove the advert

Better than Collins at Hibs? Both great but I can't decide.
    Collins was my hero watching Hibs as a teenager, McGinn has obviously achieved more wearing a Hibs jersey.

Left by mutual consent!
    John McGinn is for me the top player I’ve seen at Hibs in 40 years of watching. To go down to Villa, a massive club and be universally raved about is some achievement for a still young boy... but are any of us even remotely surprised?

The lack of interest in him until he left was utterly staggering ... the fact we were able to obtain his services when in the 1st Division is mind blowing. He will be an EPL player within a year or 2 at most and he will also be terrific at that level which says it all.

Scott Brown could have done it but didn’t have the balls, Fletcher gave it a decent crack and John Collins got there but nobody else is that close to McGinn’s level in recent times.
    Completely agree. Thomson would have made it also if he didn’t leave for Glasgow and got injured a lot.

The only 2 players I would be that confident that would leave us and make it big time down there was Murphy who should have bar injury done more and Fletch. The rest went west.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Dearie me!

Scott Brown is a great player both for HIBS Celtic and for Scotland

Throughout his career he has had the Bowieesque ability to reinvent himself from full back, centre forward and attacking to defensive midfielder to help prolong his career

He is Captain of Celtic Football Club and a former Scotland Captain

Scott Brown has won 8 SPL titles 6 Scottish League Cups 4 Scottish Cups and 55 full Scotland caps

SJM is a good young player with loads of potential of that there is no doubt

He has won a League Cup and a Scottish Cup

The achievements of Scott Brown should never be underestimated

He has done well to have had such a successful career for a player that was rejected by The Rangers for being too small given a chance at HIBS and through no little skill, positive mental attitude, physical strength, focus, sheer professionalism and determination to be the best he can be have guaranteed his place as a HIBS and Celtic legend and a future Scotland Hall of famer

I have no doubt if Scott Brown had decided to move down south he would have been a success

My own memories of Scott Brown as a HIBS player include the Scottish League Cup Final 2007 two brilliant performances in two 0-3 victories one in which he played with a broken leg at Ibroke and a superb victory at Parkhead with Tony Mowbrays Teenage Kicks

4m now sounds too cheap but good business for us at the time.

He is now approaching the twilight of his career but the key to our success on Sunday will be to stop him playing

Even at 33 he is still such an important and influential player for Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Dearie me!

Scott Brown is a great player both for HIBS Celtic and for Scotland

Throughout his career he has had the Bowieesque ability to reinvent himself from full back, centre forward and attacking to defensive midfielder to help prolong his career

He is Captain of Celtic Football Club and a former Scotland Captain

Scott Brown has won 8 SPL titles 6 Scottish League Cups 4 Scottish Cups and 55 full Scotland caps

SJM is a good young player with loads of potential of that there is no doubt

He has won a League Cup and a Scottish Cup

The achievements of Scott Brown should never be underestimated

He has done well to have had such a successful career for a player that was rejected by The Rangers for being too small given a chance at HIBS and through no little skill, positive mental attitude, physical strength, focus, sheer professionalism and determination to be the best he can be have guaranteed his place as a HIBS and Celtic legend and a future Scotland Hall of famer

I have no doubt if Scott Brown had decided to move down south he would have been a success

My own memories of Scott Brown as a HIBS player include the Scottish League Cup Final 2007 two brilliant performances in two 0-3 victories one in which he played with a broken leg at Ibroke and a superb victory at Parkhead with Tony Mowbrays Teenage Kicks

He is now approaching the twilight of his career but the key to our success on Sunday will be to stop him playing

Even at 33 he is still such an important and influential player for Celtic
    Totally agree people have short memories. John Collins was also a fantastic player for a number of top clubs and Scotland. McGinn is an great player but don't underestimate the achievements of others and remember how far McGinn still has to go.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    For all that he was an excellent player Brown remains a virtual unknown outside of Scotland because he never left to move up to the level he should have been playing at. That he has never played in the EPL and never played in an international finals tournament is a real shame - but those are two things McGinn could conceivably achieve within 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    For all that he was an excellent player Brown remains a virtual unknown outside of Scotland because he never left to move up to the level he should have been playing at. That he has never played in the EPL and never played in an international finals tournament is a real shame - but those are two things McGinn could conceivably achieve within 18 months.
    In 2007 HIBS agreed a fee with English Premier League club Reading but Brown turned down the move preferring to stay with HIBS until the end of his contract 2009

What a move that would have been?

He was then linked with Rangers but eventually signed for Celtic for 4.4m

I wish SJM all the best

The highest compliment that can be paid to SJM is that Celtic saw him as a replacement for a young box to box midfielder called Scott Brown unfortunately they could not afford him

I agree that Scott Brown coulda shudda played at a higher level but sometimes things are not meant to be.

He is a fit for Celtic and has had a long career with them,just as Scott Allan is a fit for HIBS

The point of my post was to highlight the fact that there have been other better midfield players at Easter Road than SJM imho ( Cropley Edwards Stanton Bremner Collins Latapy Brown Johnstone) to name but a few but Brown has been it seen it got the tee shirt albeit not in the EPL and SJM has his career ahead of him and still has it all to do

Hibs fans have short memories

I can see the pound signs already

I think we are asking the wrong question here.
    1. Who will have the better career. Undoubtedly sjm.
    2. Who is the best player. I can see both sides of the discussion.
    3. Who is the most talented and best football player. Undoubtedly Dylan for me. A sublime player who saw a pass before he got the ball and very rarely wasted possession. In Europe he would be more appreciated but sjm is more appreciated in Scotland for his combative style. This is not to decry sjm,I love his style and swagger but Dylan to me was how I would coach a young kid to aspire to.
    Let's just appreciate what a wonderful midfield three we had and what a huge sigh of relief in Gorgie when they went.
    IMHO if Dylan didn't have his injury record he would be the best player in that all conquering celtic team or be playing for the likes of wolves or Watford.
    All about opinions of course but Dylan to me was almost as good as latapy and sauzee and that says it all. BTW I'm afraid sjm is not better than latapy.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    When all is done and Scott Brown looks back on his career, I’m sure being the Celtic Captain to lift 10-in-a-row and be immortalised as one of the UKs biggest football clubs all-time-greats will be fairly satisfying.

John McGinn will have a far more varied career going down south. He has already etched his name into Hibernian folklore as a legend. I hope he does that at AV and many other top clubs.

I think the lesson to be learnt from that deal is that we should insist on an appearances bonus as well as a share of any profit in a sell on clause when transferring young talent. An extra £100k to £250k per 50 appearances would be ideal.

Of course, the buying club will have a differing opinion.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I think the lesson to be learnt from that deal is that we should insist on an appearances bonus as well as a share of any profit in a sell on clause when transferring young talent. An extra £100k to £250k per 50 appearances would be ideal.

Of course, the buying club will have a differing opinion.
    I think all things considered we have done well with sell on clauses. I'm sure there are appearances,Scotland appearances and if av get promoted clauses in the contract as well as a 20% selling on fee. I think sjm will earn us as much as Fletcher did and if we can maintain our attendances and get decent cup runs then the quality of the squad will be improved and hopefully maintained. The bigger issue could be keeping hecky unfortunately.

Is there any top 6 EPL teams that are in desperate need of an attacking midfielder who will battle for everything and give everything for the honour of wearing said strip ? I can think of one in particular. And yes I know it won't happen due to perceived "higher expectations" but .....

Saying Hibs fans have short memories is just you saying that some have a different opinion to you yes?

Nobody can say definitively who is the best player. The fact I mentioned Collins, Fletcher and Brown as being comparable suggests my memory is fairly decent.

For me McGinn is the best although JC probably most skilful.

McGinn’s career path will make it difficult to compare him and Brown. He’ll not come close to Brown’s medal collection and will never be the big fish in the small pond Brown is. Good chance he’ll go on to make more money and play a good chunk of his career at a higher level, hopefully with a few honours.

Just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    He is indeed Billy, at 1.78m... Which is really actually 10ft when you're up against him on the pitch

1.78m is 5' 10".

Not a giant but not exactly a midget either

Saying Hibs fans have short memories is just you saying that some have a different opinion to you yes?

Nobody can say definitively who is the best player. The fact I mentioned Collins, Fletcher and Brown as being comparable suggests my memory is fairly decent.

For me McGinn is the best although JC probably most skilful.

McGinn’s career path will make it difficult to compare him and Brown. He’ll not come close to Brown’s medal collection and will never be the big fish in the small pond Brown is. Good chance he’ll go on to make more money and play a good chunk of his career at a higher level, hopefully with a few honours.

Just an opinion.
    I welcome your opinion and I am very interested in what you have to say after all that is what forums are for

My point is I have watched HIBS for over 50 years and SJM is not the best midfielder I have seen in that time

That is all but just imho

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    1.78m is 5' 10".

You say that, but I'm 5'11" and I genuinely felt that around 80-90% of the people around me at Tynecastle were a fair bit taller than me, despite 5'11" being "average" height in the UK. Are our away fans just ****ing huge now?

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    You say that, but I'm 5'11" and I genuinely felt that around 80-90% of the people around me at Tynecastle were a fair bit taller than me, despite 5'11" being "average" height in the UK. Are our away fans just ****ing huge now?
    Might just be a perspective thing. I’m 6’2 but don’t really feel taller than most when I’m walking along the street. It’s only when I’m standing right next to someone that I notice a difference in height.

I’am 2 to 10 i f....n hate backshift

Left by mutual consent!
    Scott Brown was never professional in his life at Hibs 😂😂

In 2007 HIBS agreed a fee with English Premier League club Reading but Brown turned down the move preferring to stay with HIBS until the end of his contract 2009

What a move that would have been?

He was then linked with Rangers but eventually signed for Celtic for 4.4m

I wish SJM all the best

The highest compliment that can be paid to SJM is that Celtic saw him as a replacement for a young box to box midfielder called Scott Brown unfortunately they could not afford him

I agree that Scott Brown coulda shudda played at a higher level but sometimes things are not meant to be.

He is a fit for Celtic and has had a long career with them,just as Scott Allan is a fit for HIBS

The point of my post was to highlight the fact that there have been other better midfield players at Easter Road than SJM imho ( Cropley Edwards Stanton Bremner Collins Latapy Brown Johnstone) to name but a few but Brown has been it seen it got the tee shirt albeit not in the EPL and SJM has his career ahead of him and still has it all to do

Your first sentence isn't strictly true. Hibs accepted offers from Reading, Celtc and Cardiff all at the same time. Brown said he chose Celtc because he reckoned Reading would be in a relegation battle in the following season. That turned out to be true because they desperately needed a midfielder like Scott Brown to replace Steve Sidwell who had signed for Chelsea. Brown was never going to stay at Hibs though.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    1.78m is 5' 10".

My apo's.

Asked google what it was in feet and it came up 5.8... being old, I took the 8 as inches... Forgive me

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    Your first sentence isn't strictly true. Hibs accepted offers from Reading, Celtc and Cardiff all at the same time. Brown said he chose Celtc because he reckoned Reading would be in a relegation battle in the following season. That turned out to be true because they desperately needed a midfielder like Scott Brown to replace Steve Sidwell who had signed for Chelsea. Brown was never going to stay at Hibs though.

Put it in a transfer request but withdrew it

A lot of toing and froing with his Agent Willie McKay Brown Kevin Thomson Celtic and Rangers

Brown chose Celtic because he wanted to play in the Champions League

You are correct he was never staying at Hibs

Are people forgetting we had a former French captain and Champions league winner playing in midfield for Hibs. Sauzee is easily the best midfielder that I have seen play for us. But I do rate McGinn higher than both Brown or Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    Are people forgetting we had a former French captain and Champions league winner playing in midfield for Hibs. Sauzee is easily the best midfielder that I have seen play for us. But I do rate McGinn higher than both Brown or Collins.
    Another one added to my list....Le God!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Scottish Cups won playing for Hibs:
    Sauzee: 0
    McGinn: 1

McGinn for me.

Never thought my favourite ever player would be anyone other than John Blackley and then Le God arrived and stole Sloop's crown......

Put it in a transfer request but withdrew it

A lot of toing and froing with his Agent Willie McKay Brown Kevin Thomson Celtic and Rangers

Brown chose Celtic because he wanted to play in the Champions League

You are correct he was never staying at Hibs
    You’re earlier post gave the impression that Brown preferred to stay at Hibs- it’s just not true. He was told he’d need to wait a few months for his move as we were going for 2 cups. He did knuckle down then but let’s be honest he’d have moved sooner if he could have and his conduct (along with Thomson) was fairly deplorable for a number of weeks... handing a written transfer request to John Collins in the dressing room after a game for goodness sake! Did we have to put up with any of this from John McGinn? No- utterly exemplary on and off the field which is partly why fans wherever he plays adore him. He doesn’t need cheap stunts like acting the hard man, taking the mick out of fellow pros or ‘look at me!’ goal celebrations.

McGinn - you’re right, we’ve possibly had more gifted players, but for me he is number 1 as the full package.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Never thought my favourite ever player would be anyone other than John Blackley and then Le God arrived and stole Sloop's crown......
    Blackley was a sweeper whose best quality was his ability to read the game skilful and very hard but fair in the tackle

Sauzee was similar to Pat Stanton elegant skilful would just glide across the grass equally at home as a sweeper or in midfield and what a shot he had in his locker

My alltime favourite performance by a HIBS player in midfield was Pat Stanton’s versus Glasgow Celtic in the 1972/73 Scottish League Cup Final

An absolute masterclass he bossed that game

Sloop was good as well

Blackley was a sweeper whose best quality was his ability to read the game skilful and very hard but fair in the tackle

Sauzee was similar to Pat Stanton elegant skilful would just glide across the grass equally at home as a sweeper or in midfield and what a shot he had in his locker

My alltime favourite performance by a HIBS player in midfield was Pat Stanton’s versus Glasgow Celtic in the 1972/73 Scottish League Cup Final

An absolute masterclass he bossed that game

Sloop was good as well
    I wasn't comparing their playing styles Billy. It's funny how we take a shine to some players more than others, I've always loved to watch the flair players and yet Blackley remained my favourite of them all even though he could hardly be called a flair player