hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Islam Feruz

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But none were as good as Islam Feruz as I've heard he is once in a generation
    I never said he was 'once in a generation'. That tagline is for the real talents of football - in Scottish terms, Dalglish was that. No one will come close to him and he could be labelled a 'one off'.

I think you and I would agree on a lot to be fair. Islam Feruz is a classic example of way too much, way too soon, and with people around him who didn't have his interests at heart. When you give a lad so much money at that age, in this era, you'll be hard pushed to find any Scottish lad to succeed.

Wonder if Kenny Dalglish would have been as successful for example if he had been paid silly money at Celtic as a youngster, with social media, scrutiny and criticism at the end of a 'send button' surrounding him at all times, and people around him who wanted to sponge and leech off him ?

Oh and the best youngster I've seen and played against was John Spencer - rattled 5 past us in a tournament at Ayr. What a player he was !

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I never said he was 'once in a generation'. That tagline is for the real talents of football - in Scottish terms, Dalglish was that. No one will come close to him and he could be labelled a 'one off'.

I think you and I would agree on a lot to be fair. Islam Feruz is a classic example of way too much, way too soon, and with people around him who didn't have his interests at heart. When you give a lad so much money at that age, in this era, you'll be hard pushed to find any Scottish lad to succeed.

Wonder if Kenny Dalglish would have been as successful for example if he had been paid silly money at Celtic as a youngster, with social media, scrutiny and criticism at the end of a 'send button' surrounding him at all times, and people around him who wanted to sponge and leech off him ?

Oh and the best youngster I've seen and played against was John Spencer - rattled 5 past us in a tournament at Ayr. What a player he was !
    Aye that comment wasn't specifically for your post

But I do agree with what you're saying

Left by mutual consent!
    Who was a better player when he was younger. We have countless examples.

Michael Stewart ended up at Man Utd...they're a bigger club than Chelsea

Once in a generation though eh?
    You clearly didn’t see him playing at the level he was at that age then, eh. Convo over cleanyboy.

Dembele at Celtic now is ahead of where Feruz was at a similar age. I've seen him a few times and he is an exceptional talent. I saw Feruz in the youths at Celtic and it can't be denied he was a great wee player but when he was stepped up into the older age groups he got lost a bit. Dembele still stands out when playing a couple of years up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    You clearly didn’t see him playing at the level he was at that age then, eh. Convo over cleanyboy.
    Well Feruz of course

As I said I wouldn't descibe him as once in a generation. He was okay. If I'd been dominated the way you have I'd have left a long time ago.

Toodles

Left by mutual consent!
    Well Feruz of course

As I said I wouldn't descibe him as once in a generation. He was okay. If I'd been dominated the way you have I'd have left a long time ago.

Toodles
    😂😂 amazing.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Dembele at Celtic now is ahead of where Feruz was at a similar age. I've seen him a few times and he is an exceptional talent. I saw Feruz in the youths at Celtic and it can't be denied he was a great wee player but when he was stepped up into the older age groups he got lost a bit. Dembele still stands out when playing a couple of years up.
    The very real danger with Dembele PB is he will have his head turned like Feruz. Already different associations are trying to sway him, agents no doubt will be in his head convincing him of a 'grass is greener' deal, and social and tabloid media have built him up into the next Messi.

Just let the lad play football and let him develop unabated and with no distractions - impossible in this climate and era of football though.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    The very real danger with Dembele PB is he will have his head turned like Feruz. Already different associations are trying to sway him, agents no doubt will be in his head convincing him of a 'grass is greener' deal, and social and tabloid media have built him up into the next Messi.

Just let the lad play football and let him develop unabated and with no distractions - impossible in this climate and era of football though.
    Yep keeping his feet on the ground and just letting him enjoy his football will be the hard part.

Tommy Burns was good for Feruz in that regard and had he still been around I wonder if things might have worked out differently.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Salisbury Hibby's Avatar
    And their trial system and selection policy is objective to say the least.
    Being objective is good.

Did you mean "subjective"?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Salisbury Hibby View Post
    Being objective is good.

Did you mean "subjective"?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I did indeed, I stand corrected.

If you saw the coaches selecting them your heart would sink.

Desperately overrated, I'd have been more surprised had he actually made it. These "generational talents" are quite often rubbish. Especially at Celtic, they are the worst I've ever seen for overrating players.

To say guys who have gone on to achieve far more were nowhere near him makes me laugh. That's right, they're much better.

Similar to Freddy adu

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Potential doesn't mean a thing unless you fulfill it. I remember hearing years ago that Jamie McCluskey had more ability than Riordan and O'Connor. Maybe he did aged 16 but it didn't amount to much for Hibs.

I've worked with Owen Hargreaves quite regularly and I remember being a bit taken aback when he told me talent is overrated. His argument being that every player signed up young to a big club has talent. The difference between success and failure comes down to attitude, desire and hard work. Expect he's probably right.
    Last edited by Baader; 25-03-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Potential doesn't mean a thing unless you fulfill it. I remember hearing years ago that Jamie McCluskey had more ability than Riordan and O'Connor. Maybe he did aged 16 but it didn't amount to much for Hibs.

I've worked with Owen Hargreaves quite regularly and I remember being a bit taken aback when he told me talent is overrated. His argument being that every player signed up young to a big club has talent. The difference between success and failure comes down to attitude, desire and hard work. Expect he's probably right.
    If that is the case why doesn't wee Lewis play for Real Madrid?

Look at Riordan v Steven Fletcher for evidence of that. The one with the talent wasn’t the one that got the £££££ deals.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Look at Riordan v Steven Fletcher for evidence of that. The one with the talent wasn’t the one that got the £££££ deals.
    Bit unfair on riordan!!! To suggest fletcher didnt have talent is nuts

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Desperately overrated, I'd have been more surprised had he actually made it. These "generational talents" are quite often rubbish. Especially at Celtic, they are the worst I've ever seen for overrating players.

To say guys who have gone on to achieve far more were nowhere near him makes me laugh. That's right, they're much better.
    Agree was Steve Fulton not compared to Baggio at Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Bit unfair on riordan!!! To suggest fletcher didnt have talent is nuts
    I didn’t.

I think DR made an ok career from an exceptional level of talent. SF made a very, very good career from a very good level of talent.

If Feruz actually has talent, then he still has plenty of time to prove it. He could move to a smaller club and just concentrate on playing.

He's still only 23.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I didn’t.

I think DR made an ok career from an exceptional level of talent. SF made a very, very good career from a very good level of talent.
    So by saying the one with talent(riordan) wasnt the one who got big money moves was you actually suggesting fletcher was talented, got you now!

So by saying the one with talent(riordan) wasnt the one who got big money moves was you actually suggesting fletcher was talented, got you now!
    Baader's original post I was replying to (and agreeing with) said:

every player signed up young to a big club has talent. The difference between success and failure comes down to attitude, desire and hard work.
    2 players can both be talented but one much more so than the other, no?

Left by mutual consent!
    No. It was suggesting the less talented player made the most money. Had the better career, It’s not that hard to work out.

Fletch lived down south before coming up to live in the Jewel digs, Riordan was a home boy, another massive difference.

Riordan had the most talent. Fletcher had a left foot as good as Deeks poor foot. He worked harder for his career. Why get constantly offended all the time?

Left by mutual consent!
    No. It was suggesting the less talented player made the most money. Had the better career, It’s not that hard to work out.

Fletch lived down south before coming up to live in the Jewel digs, Riordan was a home boy, another massive difference.

Riordan had the most talent. Fletcher had a left foot as good as Deeks poor foot. He worked harder for his career. Why get constantly offended all the time?
    But none were as good as wee Feruz supposedly

Work ethic and attitude will take you far

But none were as good as wee Feruz supposedly
    😁

Not offended in the slightest but thanks for your concern