hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Norton Park school

Being a Fifer i don't know much about the old school despite seeing it probably thousands of times. Do Hibs own the building? When did it close as a school? Did any ex players or dot netters attend the school? Lovely old building it has to be said.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being a Fifer i don't know much about the old school despite seeing it probably thousands of times. Do Hibs own the building? When did it close as a school? Did any ex players or dot netters attend the school? Lovely old building it has to be said.
    Alex Cropley

Unfortunately Hibs don't own the building. Would be worth a small fortune if they did.

Its used as offices by a few companies though I'm not sure who the owners are.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    My grandad taught music there in the 60s, i think - possibly 50s, not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Unfortunately Hibs don't own the building. Would be worth a small fortune if they did.

Its used as offices by a few companies though I'm not sure who the owners are.
    Yeah was thinking the same thing. Although it's probably listed.

Found an interesting video if anyone is nostalgic. Made by the teachers and pupils of the school. Hope link works. Some instantly recognisable locations from 1951.

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/0799

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    I went to the school in the late 70s, when it was the junior school annexe of Leith Academy.

Used to hang about at the fence at the edge of the playground to try and catch the players going in for training - got a few autographs from them, but it was late 70s Tornadoes, rather than early 70s players. Also got Eddie Turnbulls autograph and surprisingly, didn’t get told to f*&@ off....!!

The building that was the techie block is now the ticket office.
    Last edited by Topographic Hibby; 24-03-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling!!

I attended when it was Leith Academy for 1st and 2nd year pupils. Seen players coming and going all the time. The ticket office was our old woodwork and metalwork class.

Quote Originally Posted by Topographic Hibby View Post
    I went to the school in the late 70s, when it was the junior school annexe of Leith Acaedmy.

Used to hang about at the fence at the edge of the playground to try and catch the players going in for training - got a few autographs from them, but it was late 70s Tornadoes, rather than early 70s players. Also got Eddie Turnbulls autograph and surprisingly, didn’t get told to f*&@ off....!!

Must have made going to school slightly more appealing! I didn't know that about the ticket office 👍

What it's doing now.

https://www.nortonpark.org/about/
    Space to let

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topographic Hibby View Post
    I went to the school in the late 70s, when it was the junior school annexe of Leith Acaedmy.

Getting Turnbulls autograph was bloody hard no matter what size you were. He would elbow me and my grubby programme or autograph book aside every time until I offered him my 100 Years of Hibs with the page open and he spent ages talking me through it.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Found an interesting video if anyone is nostalgic. Made by the teachers and pupils of the school. Hope link works. Some instantly recognisable locations from 1951.

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/0799
    Thanks for posting

Took me back to my childhood

Recognised the Bridge of Doom

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Thanks for posting

Took me back to my childhood

Recognised the Bridge of Doom
    👍

My uncle was a pupil in the mid 60’s

Was a pupil there from 1966 - 1969 loved woodwork as you could see pitch from upstairs window (ground floor was metalwork).

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Getting Turnbulls autograph was bloody hard no matter what size you were. He would elbow me and my grubby programme or autograph book aside every time until I offered him my 100 Years of Hibs with the page open and he spent ages talking me through it.
    I've posted this before but I'm convinced Eddie Turnbull spent his latter years just around the bottom or Orchard Brae as I used to see him sitting enjoying the sun now and again when out for a wander at lunchtime. Was always going to ask him for an autograph but was too afraid in case he told me to **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I've posted this before but I'm convinced Eddie Turnbull spent his latter years just around the bottom or Orchard Brae as I used to see him sitting enjoying the sun now and again when out for a wander at lunchtime. Was always going to ask him for an autograph but was too afraid in case he told me to **** off.
    He stayed in Comley bank

Comely Bank Road begins at the roundabout at the foot of Orchard Brae so every chance a few people saw him around there. My sisters both went to school at Flora Stevensons just opposite, and my mother went to Norton Park in the late forties/early fifties.

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My Uncle went to Norton Park and sure he said he was there with Peter Cormack/Peter Marinello?

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Comely Bank Road begins at the roundabout at the foot of Orchard Brae so every chance a few people saw him around there. My sisters both went to school at Flora Stevensons just opposite, and my mother went to Norton Park in the late forties/early fifties.
    Yep that's the area where I saw him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Alex Cropley
    My old man was school pals with Alex when they attended Norton Park? I myself also attended school in this building many years later, although the building had by that time become an annex for Leith Academy. Three floors of tiled walls if my memory serves me well. We’d watch the Hibs players pass by our play area on a daily basis! Doesn’t get better than that

@hibs.net private member
    My father went there in the 50s also the one with big ears in still game also went there in the 50s.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    Was a pupil there from 1966 - 1969 loved woodwork as you could see pitch from upstairs window (ground floor was metalwork).
    Lucky barstewards. My English class looked onto ***********. No wonder I failed my English exam.

Never managed to get any players over the fence for a game of pitch and toss. Just think if Goram had been there at the time, we would've been loaded.

My grandad Andrew Edgar was the live in Jannie for many many years. He was a true Hibby and took me to my first games.
    I spent many happy summers in that gymhall

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I work here just now with a cracking view from my desk to the main entrance of the stadium. Sadly though we're moving offices this week.

It's all charities that are based here but there is still a fair bit of a school building vibe about the place.

Testimonial Due
    When I met Eddie Turnbull when he was on my table at hospitality one time, he seemed genuinely shocked when I told him he'd told me to ***** off when I was a child and asked him for his autograph.

"***** off and get the players, son!" he said when I approached him down at the old Civil Service training ground. Good to hear it wasn't just me.

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    My father went there in the 50s also the one with big ears in still game also went there in the 50s.

Do you mean Shug?

I always presumed he was a Glaswegian. You learn something new every day.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    When I met Eddie Turnbull when he was on my table at hospitality one time, he seemed genuinely shocked when I told him he'd told me to ***** off when I was a child and asked him for his autograph.

"***** off and get the players, son!" he said when I approached him down at the old Civil Service training ground. Good to hear it wasn't just me.
    Went to see training at the Sunblest bakery land at Lochend in the early 70’s. McBride blasted one (no nets) & I ran to get the ball. Turnball screamed at me ‘ you’d better bring that ba back ya wee *******.

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    If he was there he would've probably been in my mum's year. Same age. 😁