hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Ticket prices at football - a growing problem.

A poster on here (forget who) rightly said that paying 30/32 quid a ticket to watch a game of football in Scotland is totally wrong. It simply isn't fair to fans.

Well how about this for next level robbery: Barcelona charging Man United fans 102 quid per ticket for the Champions League tie. United have said they will reciprocate and will subsidise the ticket price at Camp Nou. WTF is the game coming to? Some will say it's simply supply and demand, but the average fan just doesn't matter at all. Something should be done, even it means the governing bodies introducing compulsory pricing structures. Three figures to watch a game of football, and that's before travel etc. What a sad reflection on the sport; football is out of the reach of many supporters.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    We need price caps for tickets and transfer/salary caps for players.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    If I was offered the Man Utd tickets for £102 I’d buy three but yes agree it’s getting ridiculous especially teams like that who have so much money already and don’t rely on ticket sales to survive,

Shocking prices for the Champions League, but it's hardly even worth being described as football now. It's got more in common with a Hollywood red carpet premiere than a football game.

Anyway, back to Scottish football. It's clear to me that people like Ann Budge are bad for the Scottish game. Sanitisation and gentrification of crowds is occurring. Prices of £30+ for tickets are trying to attract a new type of fan, one who brings their spouse and their children, sits in their seat quietly, buys the merchandise from the club shop and never complains about the manager or swears at the opposition. These are not the sort of people who will stick by the clubs when things (inevitably) go south.

100 quid for a Champions League final? Yeah okay, if in the best seats, for a one off game you'll remember all your life.

100 quid for a quarter final, sat in the Gods at Camp Nou? Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shocking prices for the Champions League, but it's hardly even worth being described as football now. It's got more in common with a Hollywood red carpet premiere than a football game.

Anyway, back to Scottish football. It's clear to me that people like Ann Budge are bad for the Scottish game. Sanitisation and gentrification of crowds is occurring. Prices of £30+ for tickets are trying to attract a new type of fan, one who brings their spouse and their children, sits in their seat quietly, buys the merchandise from the club shop and never complains about the manager or swears at the opposition. These are not the sort of people who will stick by the clubs when things (inevitably) go south.
    It should be for everyone not just people who swear

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    It should be for everyone not just people who swear
    I would be up for cheaper tickets in the sweary section

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I would be up for cheaper tickets in the sweary section
    Hisbollah's idea of a radge section. Cheap as chips, enter at your own risk

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar

I don't entirely disagree with you, but without the type of fan who brings their children, who will support Hibs in 50 or 100 years time?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Eh?

I'm probably from the demographic you describe and you can tell fine well from my posts I'm by no means a quiet supporter. Clubs increase ticket prices because they know fans will pay it, whether they have the money or not. It's pure capitalism (which I still entirely disagree with) as opposed to deliberate gentrification.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    City away at Spurs in Champs league.

the Club has received an allocation of 3,003 tickets for the fixture.
    Tickets are priced as follows:
    Adults - £60
    Over 65 - £30
    18-21 - £45
    Under 18 - £30
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Spurs being charged a maximum of £50 for the leg at the Etihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    City away at Spurs in Champs league.

the Club has received an allocation of 3,003 tickets for the fixture.
    Tickets are priced as follows:
    Adults - £60
    Over 65 - £30
    18-21 - £45
    Under 18 - £30
    Will this be at the new stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Will this be at the new stadium?

First game apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    First game apparently.

I thought Palace was the first game? Still a lot of money, but, when we are paying 30 quid for an SPL game, you could argue it's proportionate. 102 quid though....

All being driven by ever growing player wages. Most clubs will allocate additional income into playing budgets. Average players demanding more money which in turn is driven by the competitive wages available for average players at lower leagues in England.

So clubs can charge less but the quality of player will then be lower as there will be less in the pot to spend. Players will then go and sign for Salford or Carlisle instead of Hibs or Motherwell.

Financial losers are fans. Financial winners are players. Clubs just facilitate it. Ironically because fans want “better players” playing “better football”.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    All being driven by ever growing player wages. Most clubs will allocate additional income into playing budgets. Average players demanding more money which in turn is driven by the competitive wages available for average players at lower leagues in England.

So clubs can charge less but the quality of player will then be lower as there will be less in the pot to spend. Players will then go and sign for Salford or Carlisle instead of Hibs or Motherwell.

Financial losers are fans. Financial winners are players. Clubs just facilitate it. Ironically because fans want “better players” playing “better football”.
    A good point, but it doesn't apply to clubs like Barcelona and the other global giants whose ticket sales are a minority of their income. Barca don't need to charge 102 quid to a couple of thousand away fans, in order to fund wages.

I would quite happily have paid £100 on 21.05.2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Me too, but not for the quarter-final! And many folk simply can't pay those prices.

Some parts of football need cleaned up. AFAIK, Budge has tried to clamp down on the worst behaviour of some of their fans, so can't complain about that.

100 quid for a Champions League final? Yeah okay, if in the best seats, for a one off game you'll remember all your life.

100 quid for a quarter final, sat in the Gods at Camp Nou? Not a chance.
    The Champions League final had four price points €70, €180, €450 and €600. These are the ‘normal’ prices, hospitality was well into four figures. Mental

Maybe we need more leagues/competitions to agree a price cap on away ticket prices like the English Premier League. Sure they recently introduced maximum price of £30 for away fans

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Eh?

I'm probably from the demographic you describe and you can tell fine well from my posts I'm by no means a quiet supporter. Clubs increase ticket prices because they know fans will pay it, whether they have the money or not. It's pure capitalism (which I still entirely disagree with) as opposed to deliberate gentrification.
    You've quoted one part of my quote, I didn't mean spouses and children shouldn't be welcomed, just that they are preferred by boards like Hearts' over groups of men or women, particularly those between the ages of about 16 and 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Some parts of football need cleaned up. AFAIK, Budge has tried to clamp down on the worst behaviour of some of their fans, so can't complain about that.
    If she has tried, then she has failed miserably. Under her stewardship, Hearts' "loyalist" faction has multiplied by factors of ten. They have fans being filmed singing anti-semitic songs about Aaron Hughes hating "the ****ing Jews" and songs like the Gorgie Boys and I was Born Under a Union Jack have made an unwelcome return.

I thought Palace was the first game? Still a lot of money, but, when we are paying 30 quid for an SPL game, you could argue it's proportionate. 102 quid though....
    on that point, I was at a Brentford game possibly 5 years ago. spoke to a "local" at half time fag/and beer break and he said he was more of a Chelsea fan but cant afford over 1k for a season ticket. he decided on 285 quid for him and son ST. was a wee while ago now, and also the 2bees" are having new stands built. they may have increased prices a fair bit but then there was a great distance in English premier to 1st div. over a hundred quid puts lots of working families out of the equation, by any standard. it seems absurd.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I think all she's done is ask them to behave in a decent manner. It's hardly an unreasonable request to be honest.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I do and do and will and have.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I think all she's done is ask them to behave in a decent manner. It's hardly an unreasonable request to be honest.
    Exactly. And as the poster below has said to suggest that fans who don't do as she has asked (which I believe is don't be openly racist , enter the field of play, throw objects on the pitch and at opposing fans or fight) are glory hunters is idiotic. Away and take your face for a *****.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    I did. £200 for hospitality and transport all in.

Worth every penny
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

A poster on here (forget who) rightly said that paying 30/32 quid a ticket to watch a game of football in Scotland is totally wrong. It simply isn't fair to fans.

Well how about this for next level robbery: Barcelona charging Man United fans 102 quid per ticket for the Champions League tie. United have said they will reciprocate and will subsidise the ticket price at Camp Nou. WTF is the game coming to? Some will say it's simply supply and demand, but the average fan just doesn't matter at all. Something should be done, even it means the governing bodies introducing compulsory pricing structures. Three figures to watch a game of football, and that's before travel etc. What a sad reflection on the sport; football is out of the reach of many supporters.
    All these games you mention will easily sell out which indicates that rather than be "out of reach" they have been underpriced.

I share with you the shock at these prices but there is a huge number of football fans with obviously a considerale amount of disposable income and will pay whatever it takes to attend.