Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    3-1 Belgium on 87 mins

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3-1 Belgium on 87 mins
    We absolutely need Belgium to win every game now. Actually, no we don't. It doesn't matter.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    We absolutely need Belgium to win every game now. Actually, no we don't. It doesn't matter.

the Russians will beat us, i'm not even very hopeful of beating the Cypriots

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    We have as much chance of qualifying as San Marino i.e. no chance.

We're simply in these qualification groups to make up the numbers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Willie Miller said that the players looked disinterested and that is probably the most daming indictment I've heard so far. If a player is not interested in playing for the national team what is the point of getting on the plane in the first place.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    We have as much chance of qualifying as San Marino i.e. no chance.

We're simply in these qualification groups to make up the numbers.
    It's absolutely criminal that our qualification campaign was ended after nine minutes.

Nine. Minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besties Debut View Post
    Willie Miller said that the players looked disinterested and that is probably the most daming indictment I've heard so far. If a player is not interested in playing for the national team what is the point of getting on the plane in the first place.
    Who cares🤔

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by vuefrom1875 View Post
    Who cares🤔
    Obviously no the ones in dark blue

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    They have stronger genetics than us. We have to look at the genes
    Perhaps Dr.Mengele?

Most of them don’t give a toss about playing for Scotland these days.

Having agreements with English clubs that we won’t play their players on a plastic pitch is nonsense as well. Weak management. The players should have been told to turn up or not bother next time.

This thread has made me feel depressed. And I'm not in Scotland!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    What is the point in giving Mcnulty 10 minutes?
    Win bonus.

First Team Breakthrough WestStandhibee's Avatar
    He also thinks McLeish should get to take charge of the playoff next year which is an even bigger indictment

The scary thing for me was that was them interested.just tactically and physically outclassed by a team that had a gameplan.

Obviously no the ones in dark blue
    Correct.

First Team Breakthrough goosefat's Avatar
    Things to do whilst Scotland are playing:

1. Rewind video tapes
    2. Sort socks
    3. Defrost the freezer
    4. Tax return
    5. Straighten all the pictures on your walls
    6. Power wash the decking

Left by mutual consent!
    They should call it a day and go with a British team if this is what the Scottish team has become.

Quote Originally Posted by goosefat View Post
    Things to do whilst Scotland are playing:

1. Rewind video tapes
    2. Sort socks
    3. Defrost the freezer
    4. Tax return
    5. Straighten all the pictures on your walls
    6. Power wash the decking
    7. Go for a tooth extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Most of them don’t give a toss about playing for Scotland these days.

Having agreements with English clubs that we won’t play their players on a plastic pitch is nonsense as well. Weak management. The players should have been told to turn up or not bother next time.
    My brother was talking to a former English premier league chairman recently, and he was talking about how the biggest challenge in football is to motivate multi-millionaires who have made it.

The list of call-offs and some of the reasons behind them were frankly disgraceful, but I think I understand what is going on.

The better, higher-profile players simply couldn't give a flying one about playing for Scotland. Players with something to prove, players with their big moves ahead of them rather than behind them will actually be interested but 30 odd year old Sheffield Wednesday players just aren't going to be interested in playing for Scotland alongside Aberdeen players.

The gameplan was crap, the players disinterested and the tactics hopeless but McLeish can only do what he can with whoever decides to turn up, and I can't see any more players being interested under another manager.

It pains me to say it as I used to follow the national side fervently but theses guys who follow the team home and away are getting the utter pish ripped out them. Football is in the process of selling its soul and this is just another symptom of the decline.

This is what happens when you an association settles for a succession of out-of-job, old-school managers, who can’t keep a job for more than 6 months at a time. Fair enough, they tried to get O’Neill but they immediately fell back into default mode as soon as he said no.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Carlton Palmers laddie.
    No relation

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This is what happens when you an association settles for a succession of out-of-job, old-school managers, who can’t keep a job for more than 6 months at a time. Fair enough, they tried to get O’Neill but they immediately fell back into default mode as soon as he said no.
    The appointment of Eck was bizarre he hadn't had a job in about 8 years which you would have thought would have been a concern. Maybe the Sfa president (you know the miserable wee guy who gave us the cup) organising McLeishs testimonial as a player had more to do with it. Beyond embarrassing. Strachan should have stayed unless we were getting better in.

Left by mutual consent!
    Totally agree - in the last few years we've seen the Hun cheating for, at least, a decade, yet still in the Scottish game ??. We haven't qualified for the WC/EC since 1998 - but has anyone at the GFA been sacked or demoted for such appalling 'governance' ?. Have they *** !. I seem to remember something about them hiring Henry McLeish to 'Save our game' but, no big shock, nothing of note emerged from that. Our game/organisation is just a farce - it's sole purpose is to ensure that the 'Status Quo' of all the honours being handed to one or the other of the 'Old S*um' and for the blazers to fly business-class and stay in 5-star hotels at all the big games - big games that almost never involve Scotland !

Until the GFA are wiped out, our game is going nowhere except further downhill !

Quote "Graeme Shinnie has said he can’t see himself getting back in the Scotland side after the national team’s nightmare in Astana"

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/...nked-at-117th/

It really shows how far we've fallen as a footballing nation if we're down to selecting Graeme Shinnie, a 27 year old midfielder, for his first cap as an emergency left back. What's the point of that? Why select Lewis Stevenson at left back in the summer time, then don't consider him for this game.

Over the years, we've capped players who are nowhere near international class. In saying that, I'm including guys like Stevenson - good honest pro but never an international. And guys like McNulty - how can someone suddenly turn up at Hibs and play well in a few games against teams of a similar standard and then suddenly become an internationalist.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Quote "Graeme Shinnie has said he can’t see himself getting back in the Scotland side after the national team’s nightmare in Astana"

It really shows how far we've fallen as a footballing nation if we're down to selecting Graeme Shinnie, a 27 year old midfielder, for his first cap as an emergency left back. What's the point of that? Why select Lewis Stevenson at left back in the summer time, then don't consider him for this game.

Over the years, we've capped players who are nowhere near international class. In saying that, I'm including guys like Stevenson - good honest pro but never an international. And guys like McNulty - how can someone suddenly turn up at Hibs and play well in a few games against teams of a similar standard and then suddenly become an internationalist.
    Shinnie has played for Scotland before I am sure. There was an almighty clamour for him to be selected for Scotland a couple of years back with Kris Boyd famously commenting he shouldn't be. While agreeing that was as a defensive midfielder he has played a good number of years before as a left back and the way he and McKenna were caught out was pub league stuff. Straight ball over the top, ball inside the full back are basics.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Who cried out of this Scotland squad? Can someone produce a list along with their excuses?

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

It wasnt his first cap and he has played a lot of club games at LB so it's not as if it's a new position for him, he just had a bad game and isn't a very good defender, I agree that Stevenson should have been in with a shout when Tierney and Robertson withdrew but he was never going to get the call up with the game so far away

Why shouldn't McNulty be in the squad? Surely you pick players who are playing well at the time and are in form? There's no point in picking players just because of who they are or what team they play for

Shinnie was woeful for all 3 goals, his defensive work wasn't good enough to be pub league level.

A "good honest pro" stands in the right place, know how to hold a line and doesn't let his man get goal side of him and get a jump on the centre half for the third goal.

A "good honest pro" provides little spark in the final third and we're picking the bones of a still unacceptable 0-0 draw rather than a 3-0 defeat.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    And the guys who run the show are a self appointing mix of amateur bowling club officials and lodge members who shouldn't be anywhere near the size of budget and business they are running.

No real change anytime soon as turkey's don't vote for Xmas.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Totally agree - in the last few years we've seen the Hun cheating for, at least, a decade, yet still in the Scottish game ??. We haven't qualified for the WC/EC since 1998 - but has anyone at the GFA been sacked or demoted for such appalling 'governance' ?. Have they *** !. I seem to remember something about them hiring Henry McLeish to 'Save our game' but, no big shock, nothing of note emerged from that. Our game/organisation is just a farce - it's sole purpose is to ensure that the 'Status Quo' of all the honours being handed to one or the other of the 'Old S*um' and for the blazers to fly business-class and stay in 5-star hotels at all the big games - big games that almost never involve Scotland !

Until the GFA are wiped out, our game is going nowhere except further downhill !
    Exactly mate. Sacking manager after manager and blaming the players is missing the target.

An empty Hampden for the next year or so would send a message but nothing will change under the SFA.