hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Out of contract players

An article has popped up on the ever-easily-navigatable EEN listing our thirteen out of contract players this summer. Who would we keep?

Agyepong - perpetually injured and probably out of our price range
    Bartley - not sure, would possibly offer him a one year extension but given he's been in and out of the team I'm not sure he'd want to stay
    Bigirimana - not been given enough game time, no as it stands
    Bogdan - would love to keep him but doubt we'd be prepared to pay so much for a keeper who isn't guaranteed first choice
    Gauld - if Sporting are willing to sell I'd definitely take him, but not sure if we could afford
    Gray - player-coach contract maybe?
    Johnson - injured since game 1, last thing we need right now
    Laidlaw - looks like he's leaving but I'd give him another contract as backup
    McGregor - see Gray
    McNulty - we should be breaking the bank to keep him (within reason of course!)
    Nelom - nah
    Omeonga - see McNulty, spend the McGinn money on him
    Spector - we'll see!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Omeonga and McNulty would be no brainers but I doubt if we'll be able to afford either of them. Gauld would probably fall into the same bracket although we haven't seen enough of him to make a proper judgement.

I would try to sign up Bogdan although again wages may be a problem.

I'd probably give Bartley and McGregor 12 month extensions and Gray would get whatever he wants.

The rest I'm not bothered about.

Unrealistic but even on loan - McNulty, Omeonga
    Low basic, high appearance wage - Gray
    One more year, but not a regular - McGregor, Bartley

Worth it, but position covered - Bogdan, Gauld, Spector
    Can't get a game - Bigirimana, Nelom, Laidlaw
    Never fit to play - Agyepong, Johnson

So that's five I'd keep and eight that I'd let move on. Which gives me room for a back up keeper (Dabrowski?), RB, CH, box to box midfielder, winger and striker.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Shows you how light we are on players, going into season 2019/2020
    Of our current signed players, how many will be starters next season?
    PH has an enormous job on his hands, re building this squad, and hitting the ground running for the new season?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unrealistic but even on loan - McNulty, Omeonga
    Low basic, high appearance wage - Gray
    One more year, but not a regular - McGregor, Bartley

Worth it, but position covered - Bogdan, Gauld, Spector
    Can't get a game - Bigirimana, Nelom, Laidlaw
    Never fit to play - Agyepong, Johnson

So that's five I'd keep and eight that I'd let move on. Which gives me room for a back up keeper (Dabrowski?), RB, CH, box to box midfielder, winger and striker.
    Exactly how I see it, only I think we should do the right thing by David Gray.

He deserves at least a decent to good basic wage. He misses a few games each season but he still plays a great deal and when he does is hugely influential. We don't want to mess him about trying to get him onto a contract that isn't in his best interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Shows you how light we are on players, going into season 2019/2020
    Of our current signed players, how many will be starters next season?
    PH has an enormous job on his hands, re building this squad, and hitting the ground running for the new season?
    He does, but I suspect he'd prefer a fairly blank canvas and the opportunity to bring his own players in rather than a squad full of players he has no use for.

Left by mutual consent!
    Reading quoted us £750 000 for MM ,the deal was dead for a while before the loan was agreed. I'm not ITK about much but I do know some family members involved on MM's side and was told the above.

I doubt Reading have moved much on their value, in fact they'll probably ask for more. He cost them over 1 million and he's signed up with them for a long time. They're notorious for being tight ***** as well. A slight silver lining could be if they get relegated. Maybe they would cut their losses. Although a new manager might want to have him back.

Sunderland were interested as well(surprise, surprise)and if Lennon gets the Celtic job full time he might see him as a Gary Hooper type signing. He's also a boyhood Celtic fan in case you missed it as the media like to remind everyone anytime they mention his name.

The big thing in our favour is he's as happy as larry atm and getting called up to the Scotland squad won't hurt. It would be a huge outlay for the club though even with the extra revenue of the last couple of seasons.

It's not impossible we get him back but it would most likely be another loan and I think Marc himself would have to push pretty hard for it.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Ideally would love to keep McNulty, Omeonga, Gauld and Bogdan. All classy players who could play for any club in Scotland including Celtic.

Gray at least a year unless he's asking for daft money. Not for sentimental reasons, when he plays he's the heart and soul of the team. I don't think he's as injury prone as our fans like to make out some times, though I would like a good quality right back signed to take some pressure off him.

McGregor - solid defender on his day but he's definitely back up now. Probably in the Fontaine category that if he's happy to stay for another year as hack up great but if he wants to leave for first team football he'd leave with my best wishes.

Bigirimana - I just suspect he's got something about him and the fact we've not wanted to break up a winning team has meant he's been unfortunate not to get game time. I'm most likely wrong but I suspect he'll get another season and play a role next year.

Bartley - I'm just not sure where I see a lace for him I'm afraid. Guy love Hibs so it's a shame but think his time is done.

Nelom - can't see any reason to keep him

Spector - I'd be shocked if he's anything more than short term cover but he's got 8 games to prove he's got something about him.

Agyepong - can't see him coming back on loan or any reason for us to pursue it either. Too much of a risk after him missing a full season.

Johnson - unlikely to be back, shirt term cover but injury has meant we've no idea if he's worth having for a season or not.

Laidlaw - decent cover but he wants first team football, time for our young keepers to step up.

Sparky left Livingston to go south and like Mallan he won't be on huge money, we signed Mallan. Omeonga is on a decent longish contract, maybe a year loan. Bartley is past it for where we want to be. Gray and Daz 1 year deal with a view to coaching, the rest just not good enough.

Bogdan is a tricky one, will be on good wages but has injury problems, plus rocky us looking solid, Dabrowski may be permanent backup, playing well for reserves.
    Last edited by J-C; 21-03-2019 at 06:49 AM.

David Gray is only 30 and one of our best players. Don't know why everyone is desperate to give him a coaching contract.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    Reading quoted us £750 000 for MM ,the deal was dead for a while before the loan was agreed. I'm not ITK about much but I do know some family members involved on MM's side and was told the above.

I doubt Reading have moved much on their value, in fact they'll probably ask for more. He cost them over 1 million and he's signed up with them for a long time. They're notorious for being tight ***** as well. A slight silver lining could be if they get relegated. Maybe they would cut their losses. Although a new manager might want to have him back.

Sunderland were interested as well(surprise, surprise)and if Lennon gets the Celtic job full time he might see him as a Gary Hooper type signing. He's also a boyhood Celtic fan in case you missed it as the media like to remind everyone anytime they mention his name.

The big thing in our favour is he's as happy as larry atm and getting called up to the Scotland squad won't hurt. It would be a huge outlay for the club though even with the extra revenue of the last couple of seasons.

It's not impossible we get him back but it would most likely be another loan and I think Marc himself would have to push pretty hard for it.
    Agree with all you’ve said, especially the few Reading were looking for. Been told we offered up to 600k before the loan was agreed.

What I disagree on is if Reading were to be relegated then I think it would significantly reduce the chances of him staying here as they would prob look at him as a proven goal scorer in that league and someone who would help them get back up.

Think hecky will go for more energy in midfield. No sure if big Marv is going to be in his plans. Perfect player for the nitty gritty games

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    Think hecky will go for more energy in midfield. No sure if big Marv is going to be in his plans. Perfect player for the nitty gritty games
    PH has used Big Marv in 4 out of his 6 games in charge

He seems to like him

Edit:

All as a sub
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 21-03-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    David Gray is only 30 and one of our best players. Don't know why everyone is desperate to give him a coaching contract.
    It's funny that people on here are deciding his next career move for him.

What if he's a hopeless coach? What if he wants to play until he's 40?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It's funny that people on here are deciding his next career move for him.

What if he's a hopeless coach? What if he wants to play until he's 40?
    It's the new .net trope. Over 30, legs gone. 😟

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

He seems to like him

Edit:

All as a sub
    Due to having no one else and a bench full of youngsters

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    Agree with all you’ve said, especially the few Reading were looking for. Been told we offered up to 600k before the loan was agreed.

What I disagree on is if Reading were to be relegated then I think it would significantly reduce the chances of him staying here as they would prob look at him as a proven goal scorer in that league and someone who would help them get back up.
    Exactly as I see it. Given his record in League 2, Reading im sure would see him as being able to do a good job for them in League 1 - best chance for us of keeping him on is if they stay up in the Championship IMO. Even a seasons loan next year would be great business for us.

He seems to like him

Edit:

All as a sub
    No had much game time tho, wee 10/15mins. Behind Milligan and slivka in that deep role

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Due to having no one else and a bench full of youngsters
    Agree

Only other option Bigirimana but more of an attacking option

Hopefully we will have the reemergence of Fraser Murray

I still think Marvyn might be offered a 12 month extension but whether or not he would accept that is for another day

Agree

Only other option Bigirimana but more of an attacking option

Hopefully we will have the reemergence of Fraser Murray

I still think Marvyn might be offered a 12 month extension but whether or not he would accept that is for another day
    Defo worth another year. Great player to bring on when we need to tighten things up. See a game out

Left by mutual consent!
    Agyepong - Cheerio
    Bartley - Thanks for everything, time to go.
    Bigirimana - Cheerio
    Bogdan - Thanks, bye.
    Gauld - Can't see it.
    Gray - 100% new contract, 2 years.
    Johnson - Cheerio
    Laidlaw - Gone
    McGregor - Another year while Ryan is still bedding in and we haven't even replaced Ambrose yet let alone let McGregor go.
    McNulty - Amazing for another year.
    Nelom - Cheerio
    Omeonga - Make it happen please.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Agyepong - Cheerio
    Bigirimana - Cheerio
    Bogdan - Thanks, bye.
    Gauld - Can't see it.
    Johnson - Cheerio
    Laidlaw - Gone
    McGregor - Another year while Ryan is still bedding in and we haven't even replaced Ambrose yet let alone let McGregor go.
    Nelom - Cheerio
    If the opportunity to sign Bogdan was there would he be a yes? I can't see us signing a better goalkeeper to be honest.

Left by mutual consent!
    I don’t think we would realistically get him to be our number 2. Let alone pay the money he would want to sit and be a number 2.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd like us to off load Whittaker and use his salary to sign a couple of players with potential.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Another year for Gray and McGregor.

Can't see McNulty, Omeonga or Bogdan staying.

Agyepong, Bartley, Nelom and Laidlaw to go.

Hard to comment on Gauld, Bigi or Johnston.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Cheerio.

Agyepong
    Johnson
    Laidlaw
    Nelom
    L. Allan

Needs to show something special in the next two months otherwise cheerio.

Gauld
    Bigirimana
    Spector

New contracts/permanent deals if reasonable and affordable.

Gray
    McGregor
    Bartley
    Bogdan

Push the boat out to sign.

McNulty
    Omeonga

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Agyepong - Cheerio
    Bigirimana - Cheerio
    Bogdan - Thanks, bye.
    Gauld - Can't see it.
    Johnson - Cheerio
    Laidlaw - Gone
    Nelom - Cheerio
    'Thanks, bye.' Feels harsh for Bogdan.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    'Thanks, bye.' Feels harsh for Bogdan.
    Not in the context I meant, nowhere near as good a thanks for Bartley but thanks none the less for a decent half-season.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Sparky left Livingston to go south and like Mallan he won't be on huge money, we signed Mallan. Omeonga is on a decent longish contract, maybe a year loan. Bartley is past it for where we want to be. Gray and Daz 1 year deal with a view to coaching, the rest just not good enough.

Bogdan is a tricky one, will be on good wages but has injury problems, plus rocky us looking solid, Dabrowski may be permanent backup, playing well for reserves.
    Bogdan's reported salary at Liverpool is £24k p/w

@hibs.net private member
    Release
    Agyepong - never fit, waste of a wage.
    Bartley - great servant in the championship but not good enough now
    Bigirimana -from what I've seen he doesn't really effect the game. That is consistent with Motherwell fans opinion and PH hasn't seen fit to involve him at a point where we are struggling for numbers.
    Gauld - hasn't been fit too often and I think he'll struggle with the physicality of the Premier League
    Johnson - here as a squad filler and hasn't even been able to do that
    Laidlaw - think we can get a better back up keeper
    Bogdan - can't see him being willing to stay as a back up at Hibs and presumably will be on a hefty salary. Even if we could afford it, i think the money would be better spent elsewhere.
    Nelom - Seems to have been a complete waste of a wage as neither Lennon nor PH have given him game time

Keep
    Gray - Not convinced he has even been 100% fit this season but the guy's will to win and determination rubs off on the squad. Still a solid right back.
    McGregor - Would still be in my first XI. Only experienced centre half we have who can handle a physical challenge.
    Omeonga - Depends on his wage demands but I'd definitely keep Stephane.

Would keep if we could
    McNulty - Quite apart from the transfer fee, we couldn't afford his wages unless we were willing to up the wages we are willing to pay.

Don't know
    Spector - I imagine he sees this as an opportunity to get himself back in the shop window for a last contract in England