hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar

NHC - Cypriot Football Matches

Anyone know anything about Cypriot football?

What's the procedure for games? Tickets? PATG?

What's the good teams to go watch?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I know of two clubs in the Cypriot League - Apoel Nicosia (who are one of the better Cypriot teams from memory?) and Anorthosis Famagusta (I think the club formerly known as Rangers FC played them in a European qualifier aeons ago). Pretty sure they're one of the leagues that also have a split after so many games?

Not a scooby about going to matches out there though. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone know anything about Cypriot football?

What's the procedure for games? Tickets? PATG?

What's the good teams to go watch?
    Tickets could be a struggle. Fans now need a Fan ID card to buy tickets across there due to hooliganism. Not sure if it applies to tourists or not.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Tickets could be a struggle. Fans now need a Fan ID card to buy tickets across there due to hooliganism. Not sure if it applies to tourists or not.
    That's what I was worried about. Want to go to a game (AEL Limassol) in a couple of weeks but no idea how easy it is to get tickets
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Testimonial Due
    That's what I was worried about. Want to go to a game (AEL Limassol) in a couple of weeks but no idea how easy it is to get tickets
    Still have the link for the ID card application from when I was looking into going to see Frankfurt play there. Didn't need it when getting my ticket through the away club tho.
    https://theasis.cy.net/koa/en/home/

Pages I read suggested you definitely needed the ID and there was a workaround for foreigners who didnt have the right format of Local ID number.

Stadium in Nicosia for game against Apollon Limassol
    https://eintracht-online.net/fotos/a...acht-frankfurt

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post
    Still have the link for the ID card application from when I was looking into going to see Frankfurt play there. Didn't need it when getting my ticket through the away club tho.
    https://theasis.cy.net/koa/en/home/

Pages I read suggested you definitely needed the ID and there was a workaround for foreigners who didnt have the right format of Local ID number.
    Tried the site you mentioned, but couldn't see any workaround available for tourists?

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Been to a lot of games with no problem getting tickets, take your passport and there should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    Been to a lot of games with no problem getting tickets, take your passport and there should be no problem.
    Is that pay at the gate on the night or buying tickets from stadium a few days beforehand?

Is that pay at the gate on the night or buying tickets from stadium a few days beforehand?
    My experience (AEL Limassol) involved obtaining the necessary card - booth at the stadium, requiring just your passport - and then walking up to one of the many ticket booths. Easy done, all on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbygraham View Post
    My experience (AEL Limassol) involved obtaining the necessary card - booth at the stadium, requiring just your passport - and then walking up to one of the many ticket booths. Easy done, all on the day.
    That’s what I was hoping for.

What’s the crowds like at AEL, as the game I’m hoping to see is against top of the league APOEL?

Pay at the gate, at Apoel I was led to a seperate room where they checked my passport and gave me tickets for the main stand. Very few if any of the matches are sell outs. At Paphos there were no checks at all, just hand over some euro’s!

Cypriot Football ID

The only team to follow in Cyprus has to be Omonoia. Not only because of the colours but also because Omonoia is the anti establishment team in Nicosia. Nea Salamina are also ok to be fair.
    In terms of actually getting into the stadium there are no exceptions to the ID card. You can usually get one at the ground but I'd they are not expecting a crowd I wouldn't bet on it. Omonoia will do this in their ticket office in city centre. Other clubs in Limassol and Larnaca might have similar arrangements. It costs €3 but bring your passport.
    The overall standard over the top half of the championship is not bad. Most players are foreigners. You will have no problems in getting in anywhere once you have the card.
    Top prices don't usually come to more than €10.

That’s what I was hoping for.

What’s the crowds like at AEL, as the game I’m hoping to see is against top of the league APOEL?
    Average attendances in the top league are just over 2,000 this season!!!
    Last season average attendances were a little higher but still pathetic at 2,250.

Currently sitting watching AC Omonia v AEK Limassol (HT and 0-0)

Had to go to side room at stadium with passport to get photo taken and fan card made (done on the spot, took about a minute), then was able to go to ticket office and purchase ticket. Needed to show ticket and fan card at the turnstile, but all relatively easy and hassle free.
    Fan card was 3 euros, match ticket 5 euros.

Standard of football is about the same as back in Scotland, only it’s warm and sunny ;)

Currently sitting watching AC Omonia v AEK Limassol (HT and 0-0)

Had to go to side room at stadium with passport to get photo taken and fan card made (done on the spot, took about a minute), then was able to go to ticket office and purchase ticket. Needed to show ticket and fan card at the turnstile, but all relatively easy and hassle free.
    Fan card was 3 euros, match ticket 5 euros.

Standard of football is about the same as back in Scotland, only it’s warm and sunny ;)
    Omonia are the best supported side in Cyprus with average home attendances of 5,750 this season.
    As you will have seen from the derby it is not warm here .........................weather wise. Enjoy.