hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fear is shared by many in the scottish game. Any girl in scottish football who is showing ability is quickly being signed up by agencies and punted around the english clubs. The Hearts announcement is smoke and mirrors - all they are doing is using the same facilities as the boys and the same coaching guidelines. The same thing already happens at Hibs. The problem Hibs have is the persistence to keep the womens game separate and ran under the charity arm of the club. They are still treated as the poor cousins of the football club and that has to change.
    What are you suggesting? They get part of our income? Money from our season ticket sales? That should never happen. They need to generate their own income. It’s hard enough competing at our level, without donating money to a women’s team.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016-05-21 View Post
    What are you suggesting? They get part of our income? Money from our season ticket sales? That should never happen. They need to generate their own income. It’s hard enough competing at our level, without donating money to a women’s team.
    I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to get a portion of the sponsorship income given PB's comments about shirt sponsorship (hadn't considered that before).

I don't think they should get ST/gate money, but I wonder if there's more we can do to help promote their game and help them to generate their own money better.
    Mon the Hibs.

I'm a bit confused why people think that existing clubs should be subsidising Women's football.

Surely if it's a viable commercial business, they would survive in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I'm a bit confused why people think that existing clubs should be subsidising Women's football.

Surely if it's a viable commercial business, they would survive in their own right.
    It’s how the game has grown in other countries. But I realise it won’t happen any time soon in Scotland. This country is struggling to keep its men’s teams going.

But there is a reason that there are Hibs and Hearts women’s team. There is an emotional link to parent clubs and that’s a benefit to those parent clubs.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

At a very basic commercial level, it makes sense to create an environment that attracts people to the club. A relatively small investment results - directly - in longer term sustained income. If you attract as few as ten girls to as few as ten games a season, with an adult its not unreasonable to think that could drop £3-5,000 into the coffers that would not otherwise have been there. It is less a case of why should clubs invest in the womens side, more a case if why on earth wouldn't they?
    And for the record I am not suggesting equal pay, but a sensible and coordinated integration that gives benefit everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    At a very basic commercial level, it makes sense to create an environment that attracts people to the club. A relatively small investment results - directly - in longer term sustained income. If you attract as few as ten girls to as few as ten games a season, with an adult its not unreasonable to think that could drop £3-5,000 into the coffers that would not otherwise have been there. It is less a case of why should clubs invest in the womens side, more a case if why on earth wouldn't they?
    And for the record I am not suggesting equal pay, but a sensible and coordinated integration that gives benefit everywhere.
    Agreed. It’s better for all to try and find an attractive solution rather than the stock answer of Tough **** they should be forced to do it on their own.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Makes sense more girls playing the game so clubs should be trying to get more to attend with their families. Good pr for the club and can have economic benefits also. Makes the club more inclusive and welcoming which is why the recent fans incidents need to be dealt with and a safe environment provided for all.

The women's game is trying to get away from alcohol and gambling sponsorships as part of its drive to present a family-friendly face.

That could present a problem when Hibs look for a new sponsor, as our Ladies team may need to find a different sponsor. So it's up to the club's commercial department to find an alternative which, given the success of our team, shouldn't be difficult as the sums involved won't be large. Improved media coverage will help here as well.

BBC Alba televising live games is an example of this. They're showing the Ladies game on Friday evening against Glasgow City, but frustratingly that clashes with BT Sport showing the trip to Livingston. The viewing figures on Alba and attendance against Glasgow City would both be better if the clash had been avoided when re-arranging the game for TV. Very few Hibs fans will choose the ladies game over the mens.

I'm one of those who won't. I'll watch the Livingston trip live and record the visit of Glasgow City to watch immediately afterwards. Just need to stay off Twitter to avoid the score in the latter game.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    The fear is shared by many in the scottish game. Any girl in scottish football who is showing ability is quickly being signed up by agencies and punted around the english clubs. The Hearts announcement is smoke and mirrors - all they are doing is using the same facilities as the boys and the same coaching guidelines. The same thing already happens at Hibs. The problem Hibs have is the persistence to keep the womens game separate and ran under the charity arm of the club. They are still treated as the poor cousins of the football club and that has to change.
    Agree with most of this but the Hearts announcement, while definitely spun to the max, is more than just smoke and mirrors. Budge has pledged significant funding to the woman’s team and girls set up which includes the use of the Oriam for all their teams (a direct cost Hibs don’t have to bear of course) as well as more coaches etc. They really are making a push to make the woman’s / girls set up as an integral part of the football club rather than a subsidiary or associated venture.

I know many won’t agree that this is an approach that Hibs should follow and Hibs ladies as well as the girls teams are already very well regarded without it but it does look and feel like a very inclusive way forward that is designed to them build a lot of grass roots support and loyalty in the long run.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    I also believe in the club spending to help the women's team develop and it's a no-brainer for me that women's footie also brings in more interest and bums on seats to the men's team as a side effect.
    They're called Hibs, they wear Hibs shirts; we should be supporting them.
    GG

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Hibs ladies coasting it against Stirling Uni in the quarter finals of the women’s Scottish Cup at the moment. 5-0 so far. Mon the ladies.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Final score 0-6 to the Hibs Ladies, onward to yet another semi final

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Juventus women beat Fiorentina 1-0 in front of a capacity 39,000 today, a record for a women's game in italy, although tickets were free

last weekend 60, 739 watched Barcelona beat Real Madrid 2-0, a record for a top-flight domestic women's game in Europe

impressive

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Juventus women beat Fiorentina 1-0 in front of a capacity 39,000 today, a record for a women's game in italy, although tickets were free

last weekend 60, 739 watched Barcelona beat Real Madrid 2-0, a record for a top-flight domestic women's game in Europe

impressive
    Think it was Atletico Barca were playing. Still impressive though.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-equal-footing

This is the reality. I agree that talking about 'quality' of football is irrelevant in talking about how both sports develop. But the quality gap itself is not as wide as some on the Jurassic wing of the argument like to make out.

I was watching a game yesterday between Pele 2007 kids, the top level at their age group. There was a girl playing who easily holds her own (NO, don't do it) with the best boys at her own age. Physically, athletically, technically. If teams like Arsenal continue to have mixed training sessions for youngsters as they go into the eleven a side game, the gap will continue to narrow. Some of the womens games I catch five minutes of at the Oriam are very high standard indeed.

The women’s game is already having a huge impact on the number of young coaches coming through the ranks. My nephew Callum is coaching Celtic U13 girls and my son Cammy has just started coaching Edinburgh South U11 girls. My niece Lyndsey, 23 has played football for the past 16 years and may yet take on a coaching role.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Think it was Atletico Barca were playing. Still impressive though.

it was indeed and the previous record was just several weeks ago...

The attendance shattered the previous European record of 48,121 who watched Athletic Bilbao's women's team play Atletico in a Copa del Rey match in Bilbao in January.