hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are going round in circles here, she wasnt good enough to win when she was claiming that her and her sister could win, the guy had went for a drink beforehand and still won, what she could or couldnt do at her peak is irrelevant as she never done it. Hopefully the thread gets back on track now
    Because you've lost your point

Any dumpling could do what you've done. Winning a set of tennis is a far superior task. You said it wouldn't be close yet she's beaten men in practice times. I was lucky enough to be hitting on another court when she was dishing a lesson out to a fellow male French pro. These things do happen.

Of course they wouldn't ne anywhere near the top 100 but they'd give most of the men a game outwith what

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    And aftet that in practice matches she beat a few men

So you've lost your point
    What a ridiculous statement.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Any dumpling could do what you've done. Winning a set of tennis is a far superior task. You said it wouldn't be close yet she's beaten men in practice times. I was lucky enough to be hitting on another court when she was dishing a lesson out to a fellow male French pro. These things do happen.

Of course they wouldn't ne anywhere near the top 100 but they'd give most of the men a game outwith what
    I've not lost any point, she played a match and was gubbed, that's the fact, practice is completely different, if you have played any sport at any level you would know that, no doubt you will come back with something else as you tend to like that last word so fire in, I'm out

Left by mutual consent!
    I've not lost any point, she played a match and was gubbed, that's the fact, practice is completely different, if you have played any sport at any level you would know that, no doubt you will come back with something else as you tend to like that last word so fire in, I'm out
    6-1 and 6-2 wasn't exactly 6-0 though was it? And she was 17 with Venus 18 at the time

Okay then

The OP made a point that the majority have missed, the question wasn't about which is better but what effect the increased interest in women's football will have on the men's game up here.
    It's very pertinent since English men's football is being priced out of the BBCs ability to cover live games and helps them meet equality targets by showing more of the women's fame, coupled with this big new Barclays sponsorship deal I can see their game growing ever bigger and the actual coverage eclipsing what the Scottish men's game achieves in no time at all.
    Of course the women's game here too will struggle with that but of course a gateway to the English game is there for the better players in the same way it is for their male counterparts.
    Will satellite broadcasters start throwing money at the women's game as well if it continues on an upwards curve? Course they will and that's where the OP is looking towards when he's wondering if the Scottish game will potentially be down graded in the eyes of the media.

When I lived in Munich, the German Ladies team was preparing for the World Cup Finals (having been world champions as recently as 2007) and had various games in preparation. One of these was against a team from the south of Bavaria who were representing their region, an area roughly the size of East Lothian

A full strength Ladies team was sent out and duly earned a 2-2- draw... against the Under 18 boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    When I lived in Munich, the German Ladies team was preparing for the World Cup Finals (having been world champions as recently as 2007) and had various games in preparation. One of these was against a team from the south of Bavaria who were representing their region, an area roughly the size of East Lothian

A full strength Ladies team was sent out and duly earned a 2-2- draw... against the Under 18 boys.
    And yet the women's game is growing in popularity and markedly so from that time, it's got nothing to do with direct comparison to the mens game, the question was about any impact it may have on the coverage of the Scottish men's game.
    I can't imagine there's a single person who will say that they think women's football in general would be able to beat our elite teams in a match but I absolutely believe that the women's game in England will financially be ahead of our game if the same path is followed by both games for the next 10 yrs

When I watch a Hibs Ladies game on the TV, I don't wonder if they have the physicality to cope with Hearts or the skills to match Barcelona, I just enjoy watching some decent football from a Hibs team.

I'm also aware that there will be some bad errors in the game, but then I'm equally aware that I'm watching amateurs and not full time professionals. I adjust my expectations to the level I'm watching, just as I do when I'm at Easter Road or watching the World Cup.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    The rise of girls football is truly amazing.
    Im often up at the Braehead shopping centre on a Sunday and the amount of girls there with their dads, still in the kits from Sunday morning games is unreal.
    I never see that amount of lads kicking about, maybe it's just the location but when you see 4 teenage girls having a kick about in my local park, when there's not a boy in sight then you know times are a changing.
    My daughter is 10 and loves football. She plays whenever she can and is pretty decent. A few years ago she played with a team. There were about 6 girls and the rest were boys. They were all coached the same and I found the girls were technically better than the boys
    When they played their matches at weekends they could more than hold their own and some were physically stronger than the boys!

I love the fact that women's football is out there and is being talked about and publicised a bit more than it ever has before. There is absolutely no reason why a girl who loves football should have to solely watch men play a game which can be played by anyone. I'll take my daughter to watch a women's game any day of the week and I'll sit and watch women's games with her. I don't want her growing up thinking that football is a game which can only be played at a high level by boys. There are men and women in the world and there should be no limits as to what anyone can do.

Quote Originally Posted by 2016-05-21 View Post
    Not strictly true re the women’s game being banned though is it? The English FA banned the use of member clubs’ ground’s being used by women’s teams. They didn’t ban the sport.

The English Ladies FA was formed the same year as the ‘ban’ and they used rugby grounds. People could still go and watch it if they had wanted.
    Not banned outright but stripped of it's status, funding and administration.

It's hard to suggest that lack of 'official' recognition didn't have a negative impact on the game when you compare the status of the women's game here to countries in Scandinavia and the US.

First Team Breakthrough
    There seems to be a desire for some to make it and either/or debate when it should really be seen as a "both" opportunity. The more the womens game thrives, the more a previously largely untapped source of fans becomes engaged with it. Some will watch womens matches, and it will grow and thrive. It also - critically - will push more people to go and watch the mens game. The mens game is established and provides the pinnacle of the sport (and given the physical/biological differences is likely to remain so).

It is an utter irrelevance about who would beat who. In literally any sport that requires physicality as a core component of competitiveness, a mediocre mens squad or individual will beat a womens equivalent be it football, rugby, hockey, cricket, tennis, athletics or whatever. If you think this is a valid point, then the logical conclusion is that all womens sport is largely pointless and irrelevant. This clearly isn't the case

I've recently moved down south and have been getting back involved in coaching girls football after heavy involvement in Scotland for years. I was at a meeting last week and the FA's goal is to have equal playing numbers of boys and girls in tem years, and are funding the growth very strongly. The Scottish FA are also working hard to develop and enhance the game. What is clear is the it will continue to grow, and the option of not embracing it for the overall benefit of the game wont exist.

Finally, the question of equal pay is largely moot. No-one is suggesting (seriously) that Hibs Ladies get paid the same as the mens 1st team. That's a straw man with no basis in truth
    Remuneration for international representative football for what are essentially amateur players (certainly those based domestically) is worthy of more consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Not banned outright but stripped of it's status, funding and administration.

It's hard to suggest that lack of 'official' recognition didn't have a negative impact on the game when you compare the status of the women's game here to countries in Scandinavia and the US.
    I agree. I wonder where women’s fitba would be if if there hadn’t been concerted efforts by those old men in Smokey rooms to keep women in their place. Girls were prohibited from playing in boys teams up to the 90s for Christ sake. I wonder where the men’s game would be if it were as stifled and discouraged as much as the women have been. Our popular national sports would be bowling, golf or darts. This nonsense about men being better than women a straw man argument. Give women’s fitba 150 years of real backing and I’m guessing things will be a whole lot different.

Coaching Staff
    Whether the dinosaurs like it or not, the upsurge in women’d Football...of all codes, continues in Oz.

There is now a women’s Australian Rules competition and is in its second year.

Crowds of around 5000 are now not unknown and tv coverage is also in place

Rugby League...the most brutal of sports in my opinion, has also jumped on the bandwagon and has started its own competition too.

Fitba wise, the W League has been going for a few years, and although not getting any huge gates, is shown live on tv every week during the season.

The National women’s fitba team known as the Matildas, has been referred to as ‘Australia’s favourite sports team’ partly because of their excellent role modelling skills, but mostly because of their high standing in women’ world football...they win!

I have watched the emergence of women’s football down here, as a fitba supporter, with pride.

I can’t see them overtaking men’s football spectator wise, but if they do, good luck to them.

The term ladies is very dated now.

It's not gentlemen's football.

It's men and women's football - or really just FOOTBALL.

Hibs Ladies will change to Hibs Women in near future but nearly all clubs now try avoid ladies.

But this has got nothing to do with the OP original point. Why people keep turning this into women arent as good as men at sport is beyond me. ITS NOT THE POINT.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post

Hibs Ladies will change to Hibs Women in near future but nearly all clubs now try avoid ladies.
    Dated? Since when

Dated? Since when
    Since all the teams started changing their name to Womens club or even better just removing the gender completely.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    But this has got nothing to do with the OP original point. Why people keep turning this into women arent as good as men at sport is beyond me. ITS NOT THE POINT.
    Unfortunately a lot of folk want it to be THE POINT & only point !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    And yet the women's game is growing in popularity and markedly so from that time, it's got nothing to do with direct comparison to the mens game, the question was about any impact it may have on the coverage of the Scottish men's game.
    I can't imagine there's a single person who will say that they think women's football in general would be able to beat our elite teams in a match but I absolutely believe that the women's game in England will financially be ahead of our game if the same path is followed by both games for the next 10 yrs

My post was in the context of the previous comments about the difference in quality between the Men's and Women's games.

As for a direct comparison... it was the cream of the Women's side against Boys, and they still couldn't win. Anyone that thinks they should be paid the same level of wages (as some have actually suggested) must be aff their nut.

If there's a market for Women's football, then that's fair enough, good luck to them. I don't think it'll be a threat to Men's Football commercially.

You win the award for overly-awoke post of the day. Congrats.

No offence was intended to anybody, but that still doesn't stop people taking it.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

I can't put into words just how much I hate this post.

No offence was intended to anybody, but that still doesn't stop people taking it.
    Maybe I'm missing it but where did anybody 'take offence'?

A poster simply stated that many clubs are now dropping the term 'Ladies' from their women's team, which happens to be factually correct, and another suggested it won't be long before Hibs follow suit. If that is 'taking offence' then our definitions of the term are obviously miles apart.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I can't put into words just how much I hate this post.
    Why?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Why?
    I cant put it into words

I do some work for women's football and it's very much a family audience that they attract, much more so than men's football but there's no doubting that the groundwork is there with crowds and coverage increasing all the time. In reality though there's always likely to be a certain ceiling in how far crowds will progress and - most importantly - how much money the game can generate for itself. At the moment, a lot of the clubs are either struggling to stay afloat on their own limited income or are, rightly or wrongly, subsidised by each club's men's side.

The outfield technical ability can be outstanding in the games that I've seen, but there is certainly a lack of quality at times in the organisation of defences and certainly goalkeeping, though again it's improving all the time as the player pool increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Rugby League...the most brutal of sports in my opinion, has also jumped on the bandwagon and has started its own competition too.
    I actually watched a bit of the Jillaroos on TV during the World Cup in 2017 and the standard was remarkably high. Ruan Sims is their captain and played rugby union for Australia (don't know about their nickname!) in World Cup 2010. Her brothers Ashton, Korbin and Tariq are all pro RL players. With Ashton playing over here for Warrington (now with Toronto), there was a bit of a feature on Sky about the family which was pretty interesting. Seems she certainly didn't back down from the scraps with her brothers as kids!

Maybe - but if you speak to those involved in the game they all prefer women’s football or just simply football.

Just trying to help those who are oblivious to the changes taking place in the game - not trying to be a smart arse.

Anyone know what the women are up to on Saturday?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Anyone know what the women are up to on Saturday?
    Hibs Ladies playing Stirling Uni at Stenhousemuir on Sunday.

Scotland Under 17 women’s team play Norway at Oriam on Saturday. 16:30 kick off and free admission.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    Hibs Ladies playing Stirling Uni at Stenhousemuir on Sunday.

Scotland Under 17 women’s team play Norway at Oriam on Saturday. 16:30 kick off and free admission.

assuming they get back in time after playing in Kazakhstan tonight

oops, getting my genders mixed up sorry :)

Left by mutual consent!

Ffs.