hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

Mic’ed up Referees?

From the A League. Would like it here but not sure if there will be a real will for it to happen.

https://youtu.be/kAqctGNTouc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Hibhibhooray's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibhibhooray PSN ID: Hibhibhooray
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the A League. Would like it here but not sure if there will be a real will for it to happen.

https://youtu.be/kAqctGNTouc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It works well at the rugby, but the ref tells the players what he has observed and explains his decision, not sure some of our ref's could do that!

@hibs.net private member
    As soon as possible please. It makes the ref look so much better when you can hear their thought process. They will still get a few wrong but at least we will know why and that they got the rules right but maybe saw it differently to the third camera angle.

Good idea, as long as it's coupled with VAR.

Doesn't need to be broadcast, but if there's a controversial decision the audio should be released.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    What comes across there is how well respected he is as a ref, and how he handled the players like men. He also comes across as completely in control of the game.

How he'd cope with an Edinburgh Derby, i dont know, but it was very refreshing to see someone so in control of a game.

If the ref did a Gordon Brown and forgot to disconnect the mic after the game we'd get to hear him phoning his apologies

Whilst there is undoubtedly more respect shown from rugby players towards referees the reverse is also true. Rugby referees explain decisions and treat the players like adults. Many football refs treats players like schoolboys who are there to be scolded.

I think a few fans would get a shock at how some refs speak to players if they were privy to the conversations.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Whilst there is undoubtedly more respect shown from rugby players towards referees the reverse is also true. Rugby referees explain decisions and treat the players like adults. Many football refs treats players like schoolboys who are there to be scolded.

I think a few fans would get a shock at how some refs speak to players if they were privy to the conversations.
    Maybe the mic’ing up would help comms going that way as well

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I've said for a while I really think this would help, it works for rugby so no reason it wouldn't work for football.

Add in stopping the clock when the ref stops his watch and have a rule where only captains can approach the ref unless told otherwise and hopefully the game will be the better for it.

First Team Breakthrough
    I actually work with the ref mic, ref cam systems in Ireland, and the biggest issue I can see with doing this for football would be the language used, which quite often would be un-broadcastable! In rugby if someone other than the captain says anything to the ref, then they can end up in fairly serious bother, any questioning of decisions can incur yardage being awarded to the team awarded the decision, so unless there were fairly major rule changes in football, I just don't see it happening. Player mics have been used for rugby, but these are only used during replays, and only once someone has listened back to it and given the okay, this would be the only way I could see it working, and this would defeat the purpose of mic'ing up the ref, as it would effectively be the broadcaster deciding what we hear.

The language would be a problem initially but once they became more aware of it it would calm down, I'd imagine ref's would be all for it as it would eventually make their lives easier, but I'd imagine football clubs and the SFA would be against it.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    It’ll be a bit embarrassing when the first one gets caught referring to a rangers player as Sir or Brother

Good rugby captains try to get on the good side of refs by listening to them and not arguing.There are so many decisions in rugby that could go either way and it’s human nature to favour the captain who is giving you less backchat.

Its a must have.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    The tech is available to put a video feed on the ref which more or less sees what he is seeing. While this wouldnt be exact it would quickly clarify whether he was unsighted by the players blocking the view or had a clear sight of say - Barry Ferguson playing basketball in his penalty box and mean the ref has to come up with a law or rule that backs his view it was OK or not worthy of a pen. The mic would clearly record fould and abusive langauge too.

This has no chance in Scotland. Too expensive would be the excuse but institutional bias being proven would be the real reason....

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    That would be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    It’ll be a bit embarrassing when the first one gets caught referring to a rangers player as Sir or Brother
    Or singing along to cheerful ditties about their dad's colourful clothing accessories?

Stop comparing rugby and football.
    The players in the former respect the ref and get on with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    What comes across there is how well respected he is as a ref, and how he handled the players like men. He also comes across as completely in control of the game.

How he'd cope with an Edinburgh Derby, i dont know, but it was very refreshing to see someone so in control of a game.
    I think the fact you could hear him adds to the perception of control.
    The bit where he's not sure it's a goal and then checks the monitor could be misunderstood if you didn't hear his train of thought.

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

They tried this im sure in the mid 90s whrn David Ellery was miked up. It was a bit embarrassing when the players started calling him a cheating *******, including the then England captain Tony Adams.

Craig Thomson was mic'd up for a Motherwell game was he not? Sure there was a bbc program on it, but can't find anything now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    They tried this im sure in the mid 90s whrn David Ellery was miked up. It was a bit embarrassing when the players started calling him a cheating *******, including the then England captain Tony Adams.
    I liked the bit when George Graham approached him in his room then back off when he saw the cameras.

It would be great to have a spy camera and microphone on a referee from the moment he arrived at the stadium, seeing how is treated by managers, club delegates and everyone else.

Long over due.

So simple but would mean more respect for refs.

Would mean players swear less as know they can be heard.

Better entertainment for fans watching / at stadium.

More clarity with decisions which would stop a lot of debate.