hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Leeann Dempster

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve challenged a few on this on Twitter as well but they’re completely incapable of a reasoned response.

It seems to be the Ponzi Scheme mob from a couple of years ago who seem to be bitter about the fact she made them look like complete ********s.
    That explains it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    I think a lot of it stems from the fact that she was so celebrated and heralded in her first couple of years here, that the backlash (when it came) was always going to be stronger as a result. If most Hibs fans were neutral on her, people would probably be less passionate in their dislike of her.

Personally, I think she's done good things for the team on the park, while being nothing short of a disaster for the fans off it. Once the success on the park came and the new/lapsed fans started filling the seats, she has not given a solitary ***** about fan experience.

Stubbornness on loyalty points, our disgraceful treatment at Ibrox in the December 2015 game, refusing the singing section to trial the FF Lower for a pishy game against Ross County in the League Cup and instead happily allowing the stand to lay half empty every Category B game. These problems were conveniently ignored by our fans when there was success on the park, but this season a lot have manifested themselves because of a downturn in results. She essentially didn't fix the massive holes in the roof while the sun was shining on Leith.

And lastly, the uncomfortable truth, because she's a woman. And, for an even smaller minority, a lesbian. There is a strong correlation between Dempster's fiercest opponents and the use of the homophobic slur 'dyke', and it's absolutely not on. If you want to criticise her, do so for her actions (or lack of), not her sexuality.
    LD has done a great job turning the club around on the park and our success , based on the managerial appointments she has made, is there for everyone to see. She is first and foremost a business CEO with a set of skills she could take to any industry.

While I don't think she has been a "disaster" off the pitch I have been disappointed with various things she hasn't done on the fans behalf. Re the Ibrox treatment, as I said on another thread, a former Rangers fan denouncing Rangers fans behaviour would have sent a much more powerful message and would have been picked up by a much wider audience, than leaving it to Frank Dougan to comment.

LD is doing a very good job at Hibs but imo that's what it is for her, a job. I get the impression she views everything from a purely business perspective, which means that fighting our corner isn't one of her priorities.
    Last edited by Brizo; 19-03-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Leeann is our very own Iron Lady!

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    A Tory as well as a Rangers fan? Hang on a minute
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Some of the comments I’ve read, particularly on social media, towards LD recently are a disgrace.

I’ve had a barney on Facebook with some Irish boy as I had a go at him for saying ‘get this Hun out of our club’. Not ****ing on.

He’s probably in the weird Lennon FC fanboy club by the look of it actually. All very Celtic-y.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Please don't refer LD as that.

@hibs.net private member
    We're in a far better position than we were when she arrived. And to be honest, it's results on the pitch that count. Not what fans are allowed/not allowed to do.

Left by mutual consent!
    Are you typing that with a straight face?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    We're in a far better position than we were when she arrived. And to be honest, it's results on the pitch that count. Not what fans are allowed/not allowed to do.
    Results are far better, I don't think it's correct to say that what happens with fans doesn't count though - in order for the club to thrive it needs performance on the pitch and the support onside with it to continue funding it.

Personally, I think the loyalty points have caused a real bit of ill feeling but I also think it's a bit of a red herring - there are only a couple of games where everyone who wants to go might not get a ticket,loyalty points would solve that for some and leave others unhappy. The rest of the time it's an unnecessary cost (or could at least be seen as such, appreciating that not everyone will agree with that).

The other issues regarding commenting on other teams is surely more a gripe than a reason for a proper grievance, particularly because we don't know what Lennon or Stubbs wanted to happen, and we don't know what has happened behind closed doors.

Lennon's exit might also have played a part, and I can understand why some folk were annoyed at that, but at the same time clearly something unpalatable happened which had to be dealt with, and ultimately no one individual (be that Dempster or Lennon) is bigger than the club.

Action was taken and we look to be in a better position now. I don't see how Dempster could be made the scapegoat for what happened.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Results are far better, I don't think it's correct to say that what happens with fans doesn't count though - in order for the club to thrive it needs performance on the pitch and the support onside with it to continue funding it.

Personally, I think the loyalty points have caused a real bit of ill feeling but I also think it's a bit of a red herring - there are only a couple of games where everyone who wants to go might not get a ticket,loyalty points would solve that for some and leave others unhappy. The rest of the time it's an unnecessary cost (or could at least be seen as such, appreciating that not everyone will agree with that).

The other issues regarding commenting on other teams is surely more a gripe than a reason for a proper grievance, particularly because we don't know what Lennon or Stubbs wanted to happen, and we don't know what has happened behind closed doors.

Lennon's exit might also have played a part, and I can understand why some folk were annoyed at that, but at the same time clearly something unpalatable happened which had to be dealt with, and ultimately no one individual (be that Dempster or Lennon) is bigger than the club.

Action was taken and we look to be in a better position now. I don't see how Dempster could be made the scapegoat for what happened.
    Yesterday we had posters trying to say that her contribution to Hibs rates alongside Pat Stanton's and Arthur Duncans. Someone even said that she has won a Scottish cup and they haven't. Dont you think when you read such outlandish claims, that folk who were not fussed about her, either way, start looking for reasons to shoot her down? Not so much an attack on her but an attack on the nutters making the claims in the first place.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Besties Debut View Post
    Yesterday we had posters trying to say that her contribution to Hibs rates alongside Pat Stanton's and Arthur Duncans. Someone even said that she has won a Scottish cup and they haven't. Dont you think when you read such outlandish claims, that folk who were not fussed about her, either way, start looking for reasons to shoot her down? Not so much an attack on her but an attack on the nutters making the claims in the first place.
    We didn't. That's the way you perceived it, though.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Nobody actually said that though.

Funny how when things are going badly on the pitch none of the off field stuff matters, but when they're going well on the pitch, it's of top importance.

Let's face it, people just like to whinge.

In my opinion, you CANNOT pander to football fans when trying to run the club, yes you can listen to certain things regarding experience, but in the whole you need to be strong and clear how you want the club to be run.

ALL football fans are a disaster when it comes to opinions on the running of their club!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    No, I think that logic is mental, are you saying folk go "someone's getting some praise, let's shoot them down?"

Those claims are only outlandish if you take them out of context, by the way - as part of the discussion they make sense. Pulled out in isolation of course the statements look ridiculous.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Stone View Post
    In my opinion, you CANNOT pander to football fans when trying to run the club, yes you can listen to certain things regarding experience, but in the whole you need to be strong and clear how you want the club to be run.

ALL football fans are a disaster when it comes to opinions on the running of their club!
    Aye, very true. If I was chief exec at Hibs we'd end up like one of those Italian clubs that go through 5 managers a season. I think all football fans are irrational when it comes to their own club.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    No she’s not. She has empathy and cares about people.

Are you typing that with a straight face?
    I'm guessing he's more likely to be using his fingers.

I'm all about the players. I credit the Scottish Cup win and run in Europe down to the team who played in these games. I blame the relegation on the bottlers who lined up against Hamilton and who those who failed to even reach a playoff final.
    I just don't understand how some fans can worship any business suit who will move onto to their next project once they are finished with this one. Keep your love for those on the park not in the boardroom.
    Would it matter which "suit" was in the boardroom or would you just dislike them anyway?

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Funny how when things are going badly on the pitch none of the off field stuff matters, but when they're going well on the pitch, it's of top importance.

Let's face it, people just like to whinge.
    Amazing how many experts we have on being a ceo.

Leeann is first class.

If the conclusion above is what you draw from yesterday's posts then it is hard to see the point in debating anything with you.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    I'm guessing he's more likely to be using his fingers.
    That's the answer to the question....

Do you use your Dictaphone?

Left by mutual consent!
    Leeann Dempster is, IMHO, the best 'signing' this club has made in many, many years and I hope she's here for many more. Prior to her arrival we were a club going nowhere, rattling around in a first-class stadium many folk were starting to say we could never fill. She has brought real clout to our club and (along with Neil Lennon during his first couple of seasons) injected a belief that we can be consistently successful and helped to attract back thousands of missing fans. Sure, when you set your sights high and fail to hit those heights you have to accept the flak, but I'd rather be moaning about not finishing second than fretting about relegation.

Anyone claiming she doesn't share the fans' passions just needs to watch the Time For Heroes DVD where she recalls going mental in the dressing room with Dylan McGeouch after the 2-2 draw at Tynie having abandoned her seat in the directors box before the final whistle because she couldn't face seeing us lose to the yams.
    Last edited by G B Young; 19-03-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Leeann has and is doing a great job at the club. That is all there is to it IMO.
    Mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Leeann Dempster is, IMHO, the best 'signing' this club has made in many, many years and I hope she's here for many more. Prior to her arrival we were a club going nowhere, rattling around in a first-class stadium many folk were starting to say we could never fill. She has brought real clout to our club and (along with Neil Lennon during his first couple of seasons) injected a belief that we can be consistently successful and helped to attract back thousands of missing fans. Sure, when you set your sights high and fail to hit those heights you have to accept the flak, but I'd rather be moaning about not finishing second than fretting about relegation.
    It'll also be interesting to see how - as a club - we weather this first bump in the road for a while.

After Hearts insolvency shenanigans it was all plain sailing for a while, seeing them promoted then finishing third. They then went into self-destruct mode for a while, had the Cathro era and the jury is out as to whether they have really emerged from it. They're burning a lot of cash to have a half-finished stand and a team scrambling about fighting it out with us for 5th place.

We were on a constant upward trajectory since relegation and this season has seen our first great adversity for a while. We've lost the core of a great team and a very popular manager, but we now seem to be emerging from that.

If we can hang onto a good number of our season ticket holders and finish 4th or 5th then that has to go down as a decent outcome for what was a tricky season of transition.

It might not have turned out like this. That Motherwell away game and being 8th in the league and looking down wasn't all that long ago.

Left by mutual consent!
    When I was a kid growing up in the late 60s and early 70s the only folk on the easter road payroll that I thought were ''magnificent'' were Pat Stanton, Jimmy O Rourke Arthur Duncan, and Alex Cropley...Worshiping the clubs board was unheard of.
    It must be a new millennial internet thing where some fans adore the clubs CEO.
    For the record, if you want to credit Leeanne for the Scottish Cup win as some of her aficionados like to do then you can also put the 3 years in the Championship down to her as well. I notice another thing her fans love to do is praise her for the way she cast out the ginger satan yet don't actually have a clue what happened due to the club going into silent mode for days after it. Thus allowing every journalist and pundit to ridicule and rip us apart.
    Curious how you started a thread on here asking 'older' folk for memories of George Best's time at Hibs. I'd have thought if you're old enough to have enjoyed watching players like Stanton and O'Rourke you'd recall Best's time at ER well enough.

No-one is perfect and I'm sure Leeann has made mistakes. However - the criticism of her seems to me to be a classic example of why some clubs/organisations succeed while others under-achieve. IMO - when you look at the club's progress since she took her position it's very difficult to come to any conclusion other than that she has been good for our club.

Internal bickering and mud-slinging at under-achieving clubs can often occur even after significant improvements have been made. In terms of psychology I feel it could fall into the "fear of success" category. Those who become anxious at the thought of success may seek to undermine or even sabotage it rather than pursue it. For them the underachievement that results from internal bickering and constant changes in senior personnel can be a comforting leveller and is preferable to risking the psychological highs/lows of believing in themselves and "going for it".

I actually haven't talked to or met a Hibs fan who thinks that Leeann has not been successful at Hibs. Maybe I don't meet enough Hibs fans but it leads me to believe that those criticising or Chief Exec are small in number and loud of voice.

Just a thought.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Curious how you started a thread on here asking 'older' folk for memories of George Best's time at Hibs. I'd have thought if you're old enough to have enjoyed watching players like Stanton and O'Rourke you'd recall Best's time at ER well enough.

Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    No-one is perfect and I'm sure Leeann has made mistakes. However - the criticism of her seems to me to be a classic example of why some clubs/organisations succeed while others under-achieve. IMO - when you look at the club's progress since she took her position it's very difficult to come to any conclusion other than that she has been good for our club.

Internal bickering and mud-slinging at under-achieving clubs can often occur even after significant improvements have been made. In terms of psychology I feel it could fall into the "fear of success" category. Those who become anxious at the thought of success may seek to undermine or even sabotage it rather than pursue it. For them the underachievement that results from internal bickering and constant changes in senior personnel can be a comforting leveller and is preferable to risking the psychological highs/lows of believing in themselves and "going for it".

I actually haven't talked to or met a Hibs fan who thinks that Leeann has not been successful at Hibs. Maybe I don't meet enough Hibs fans but it leads me to believe that those criticising or Chief Exec are small in number and loud of voice.

Just a thought.
    Nail on the head IMO.