hibs.net Messageboard

The disappearance of Madeleine McCann

Just started watching the documentary on Netflix.

Such a sad but interesting story. I hope we find out the truth of what happened one day.

FWIW, I think the parents know a lot more than they make out to believe.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just started watching the documentary on Netflix.

Such a sad but interesting story. I hope we find out the truth of what happened one day.

FWIW, I think the parents know a lot more than they make out to believe.
    I won't watch it.
    A child was abducted,sadly.
    It's only a forever story because the child wasn't beside her parents. I can't even begin to think what they are still going through. And the hate through social media. It's so sad.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    I won't watch it.
    A child was abducted,sadly.
    It's only a forever story because the child wasn't beside her parents. I can't even begin to think what they are still going through. And the hate through social media. It's so sad.
    Likewise. I've no desire to immerse myself in that terrible and very sad story.

I've seen a few people suggest that the parents were involved or know more than they're letting on, but I see no reason to believe that.

It's like there's a need to blame someone, it a need for an answer to make sense of it. If they weren't middle class and intelligent, those suspicions wouldn't have been aroused. It's strange.

A bit like religion, if I may.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 17-03-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

I've seen a few people suggest that the parents were involved or know more than they're letting on, but I see no reason to believe that.

It's like there's a need to blame someone, it a need for an answer to make sense of it. If they weren't middle class and intelligent, those suspicions wouldn't have been aroused. It's strange.

They cant be that intelligent, they left 3 kids over 60 yards away unattended rather than using the nanny service, they wouldn't answer almost all questions relating to her disappearance so of course people will think they were involved, the investigators thought they were involved, there is a lot more to this than someone kidnapping a child. Hopefully one day the poor wee thing is found but I highly doubt it now

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Won't watch but how she went missing was brought to mind a few weeks ago when my niece's son, aged 6 was staying with his dad for a weekend and he woke up, couldn't find his dad, put his coat and shoes on and walked out of the house. He was found a mile away by a taxi driver who took him to the police. His father was either not in the house or was too drunk to be able to care.

Madeline might have done the same and been taken by someone away from the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Won't watch but how she went missing was brought to mind a few weeks ago when my niece's son, aged 6 was staying with his dad for a weekend and he woke up, couldn't find his dad, put his coat and shoes on and walked out of the house. He was found a mile away by a taxi driver who took him to the police. His father was either not in the house or was too drunk to be able to care.
    That's horrible, poor wee boy 😢

I'm not sure why any discussion about the McCanns actions creates such a defensive attitude. Why is watching this show and discussing it any different from the Abducted In Plain Sight programme about which almost everyone seemed to have a comment and child abuse became the basis for hundred of 'hillarious' memes.

Ultimately the person or persons who took Madeleine McCann are wholly responsible for their actions. However I do find the way the McCanns have managed the narrative fascinating. Any comment on their actions that night at all is almost immediately shut down very forcefully and the 1 or 2 journalists who dared step out of line were hounded relentlessly.

The events of the evening are all relevant to the sad outcome but large parts of the timeline are essentially off the table when it comes to considering the case as a whole.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dinkydoo1875
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    They cant be that intelligent, they left 3 kids over 60 yards away unattended rather than using the nanny service, they wouldn't answer almost all questions relating to her disappearance so of course people will think they were involved, the investigators thought they were involved, there is a lot more to this than someone kidnapping a child. Hopefully one day the poor wee thing is found but I highly doubt it now
    The nanny service probably cost a fortune. Weren't the other families the McCann's were dining with also leaving their kids unattended, almost like they all agreed that it makes no sense for us all to fork out for this, let's just all take turns on rotation to go check up on them. That's how I interpereted it anyway.

I've swung between thinking they're definitely involved in foul-play to now being quite sure that she was just abducted.

My reasons for this are:-

The DNA found in the car wasn't an exact match, we have no point of reference for the dog hits on the rental car and apartment, the local police were proven to be lazy so and so's and were obviously gunning for the McCann's from the point in which finding Maddy became improbable, later they were linked to allegations of torture and false confessions in another child abduction case and that part of Portugal had an association to paedo networks.

The McCanns couldn't remember or at least fudged the exact details of the night of the disappearance, probably because they were relatively pished and had done the same thing on a number of occassions prior to that night. They could also have been trying to obfuscate things to avoid a negligence charge and the resulting guilt would have been quite overwhelming.

They'd have had to have been crime scene clean-up masterminds and acting pro's in order to not slip up with that amount of media and local police pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    The nanny service probably cost a fortune. Weren't the other families the McCann's were dining with also leaving their kids unattended, almost like they all agreed that it makes no sense for us all to fork out for this, let's just all take turns on rotation to go check up on them. That's how I interpereted it anyway.

I've swung between thinking they're definitely involved in foul-play to now being quite sure that she was just abducted.

The DNA found in the car wasn't an exact match, we have no point of reference for the dog hits on the rental car and apartment, the local police were proven to be lazy so and so's and were obviously gunning for the McCann's from the point in which finding Maddy became improbable, later they were linked to allegations of torture and false confessions in another child abduction case and that part of Portugal had an association to paedo networks.

The McCanns couldn't remember or at least fudged the exact details of the night of the disappearance, probably because they were relatively pished and had done the same thing on a number of occassions prior to that night. They could also have been trying to obfuscate things to avoid a negligence charge and the resulting guilt would have been quite overwhelming.

They'd have had to have been crime scene clean-up masterminds and acting pro's in order to not slip up with that amount of media and local police pressure.
    I don't understand why they left their door unlocked.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm not sure why any discussion about the McCanns actions creates such a defensive attitude. Why is watching this show and discussing it any different from the Abducted In Plain Sight programme about which almost everyone seemed to have a comment and child abuse became the basis for hundred of 'hillarious' memes.

Ultimately the person or persons who took Madeleine McCann are wholly responsible for their actions. However I do find the way the McCanns have managed the narrative fascinating. Any comment on their actions that night at all is almost immediately shut down very forcefully and the 1 or 2 journalists who dared step out of line were hounded relentlessly.

The events of the evening are all relevant to the sad outcome but large parts of the timeline are essentially off the table when it comes to considering the case as a whole.
    Donít make the mistake I did and voice that opinion to anyone who knows the McCanns. A friendsís now husband went ape at me for (a) playing the Maddy McCann card in Cards Against Humanity and (b) pretty much stating what you said in that post. I didnít realise his brother was good friends with Gerry.

TBF, itís not Gerry Iím suspicious of out of the two.

Posted similar on the best TV thread, but it gets very dark after episode 4 and is pretty uncomfortable viewing at times. The possible kidnap by paedophile order motive has been around from the beginning, but the documentary delving into it really added disturbing context to it. As Jim Gable even mentions in one of the later episodes, it's subject where the media generally shields their audiences from in fear of losing them.

A couple individuals come out of it appearing very bad. As does wider society when they look at the press reporting and social media interactions.

I found that realy strange too. Maybe so as checks could be done by friends, but surely a locked door is a better form of safety.

Iíve only seen the first few episodes, so I donít know if more is said about him but I feel quite sorry for Robert Murat and for once I find myself agreeing with the usually deplorable Kelvin McKenzie (who no doubt has accused people in a similar fashion numerous times during his career!)

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If they weren't middle class they'd have been arrested for neglect.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I am suspicious of the way that they manage news both in and out. Looks more PR and spin than factual.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post

I worked in a 5 star hotel and the child minding service wasnt that expensive there so guessing it wouldn't have been that expensive, plus one of them is a GP and the other a consultant so earn very very good money, and yes it seems like they all do e this which is even more worrying that more than one family were so negligent towards what should be the most important things in their lives

I still believe they had something to do with it, something just doesn't sit right that a mother would not answer all those questions regarding that night, why leave doors unlocked when you cant see the door? If they came out and answered all these questions they might not seem so guilty but maybe that's just me. If they done what they done in this country they would have the social work at their door asking questions,Hopefully one day the little lass turns up safe but not looking likely

First Team Breakthrough Besties Debut's Avatar
    Some people are desperate for Kate and Gerry McCann to be responsible for this. Is it because they are educated and middle class and the folk who are accusing them are not? Two parents have gone through the I can imagine indescribable pain of losing their kid. They also have to contend with the online trolls, paranoid lunatics and conspiracy nutjobs who claim they were responsible....maybe responsible for leaving her on her own but some of the claims that they are involved in a worldwide child trafficking ring, they murdered her, sold her to Freemasonic aliens are indicative of how much the internet has corrupted peoples minds.

Blog Entries
    Possibly to avoid the tragedy of the kids being locked in the building in the event of emergency, such as fire. Then again they shouldnít have been left in the first place.

Brian Kennedy, a multi millionaire from Edinburgh, plays a big part in the documentary donating his time and money to help the search for the wee girl. Wasn't he linked with potentially buying Hibs at one point?

Just finished watching, what a rollercoaster. I started off convinced they had killed her, I thought it had probably been an accident but they definitely had something to do with it. I now donít know what to think. Iím more leaning towards them being innocent of everything except leaving the kids unattended.

@hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Just finished watching, what a rollercoaster. I started off convinced they had killed her, I thought it had probably been an accident but they definitely had something to do with it. I now donít know what to think. Iím more leaning towards them being innocent of everything except leaving the kids unattended.
    I'm similar. I had them down as having done it, most likely by accident and then panicking and orchestrating a cover up. I expected to watch this and be absolutely certain that they had done it afterwards.

After watching it however, like you, I don't have a clue what to think. I'm probably still ever so slightly to the "they did something untoward" side but only just and no more. I also reckon the kidnapped-to-order suggestion is absolutely possible.

Goncalo Amaral didn't come across well at all IMO. And Brian Kennedys laddie seems like an absolute tadger. Almost like he enjoyed attempting to be a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I'm similar. I had them down as having done it, most likely by accident and then panicking and orchestrating a cover up. I expected to watch this and be absolutely certain that they had done it afterwards.

After watching it however, like you, I don't have a clue what to think. I'm probably still ever so slightly to the "they did something untoward" side but only just and no more. I also reckon the kidnapped-to-order suggestion is absolutely possible.

Goncalo Amaral didn't come across well at all IMO. And Brian Kennedys laddie seems like an absolute tadger. Almost like he enjoyed attempting to be a hero.
    I thought the first investigator had the right idea of trying to get in with the kind of people who would have been involved with abducting kids to order, who knows what he might have found if that other company hadnít promised the earth to the McCanns.

I agree about Kennedyís son, loved being involved in the whole thing and trying to be a hero. Also Kennedy continually calling her Madeleen really irritated me, thought his intentions were good though.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Did anyone watch the Cry recently. Couple who's baby apparently went missing from the car. Jenna Coleman starred.

I saw possible parallel.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    After the disappearance of Maddy, my wife said sheíd never go on holiday to Portugal
    Even to this day I canít convince her to go

Brian Kennedy, a multi millionaire from Edinburgh, plays a big part in the documentary donating his time and money to help the search for the wee girl. Wasn't he linked with potentially buying Hibs at one point?
    The way he pronounces Madeleineís name really gets on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I thought the first investigator had the right idea of trying to get in with the kind of people who would have been involved with abducting kids to order, who knows what he might have found if that other company hadnít promised the earth to the McCanns.

I agree about Kennedyís son, loved being involved in the whole thing and trying to be a hero. Also Kennedy continually calling her Madeleen really irritated me, thought his intentions were good though.
    Unfortunately, I canít help but think of Ken Stottís character in The Missing when seeing Kennedy and his son in the series. Donít get me wrong, I donít think Kennedy is up to anything dodgy like the jambo fudís character but I guess it is the rich Edinburgh businessman funding the parentsí efforts without it being obvious why they are doing it parallel.

I do wonder if The Missing may have got the idea for the character (minus the paedo part) from Kennedyís involvement in the McCann case. Totally bizarre that they went up into the Atlas Mountains to look for her without professional guidance.

Was he not considered to be a dodgy character when he was trying to buy us and then Rangers? Also pretty much ruined Stockport County IIRC.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19

The parents. Whether they killed her, sold her or the story they claim of her being abducted, they are the ones that are ultimately responsibile for whatever has happened through their inexcusable negligence.