hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why wasn't it red?

For the penalty.

I know the double jeopardy rules are now in place, but I had thought it was a case that it only applied when a genuine attempt to play the ball had been made.

As handball is always deliberate, by the letter of the law, why wasn't it a red card?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the penalty.

I know the double jeopardy rules are now in place, but I had thought it was a case that it only applied when a genuine attempt to play the ball had been made.

As handball is always deliberate, by the letter of the law, why wasn't it a red card?
    Said exactly the same. Clear as day. Add to Sean (rightly) getting booked for his first foul, SDG for his second, but Main committing 6+ and getting two ‘no more’ warnings, and their right back getting away with the same as Mackie got booked for on Flo first half.

I understand Clancy trying to give as few as possible today ina a pretty easy game to referee but that requires consistency. Main just goes about barging into folk.

@hibs.net private member
    Double jeopardy rule.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Double jeopardy rule.
    No, doesn't apply to hand ball.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No, doesn't apply to hand ball.
    It does. Google it.

It does. Google it.
    It really doesn’t. Handball can only be given if it’s deliberate. Therefore he deliberately stopped a goalscoring opportunity with his hand. Double jeopardy only applies where the foul is ‘accidental’ ie trying to play the ball and mistiming.

@hibs.net private member
    Players who commit a foul to deny a goalscoring opportunity will no longer automatically be sent off, football's rule-making body has confirmed. ... Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity.14 Apr 2016

I'm sure Clancy has already phoned Hecky this evening to explain things.

Players who commit a foul to deny a goalscoring opportunity will no longer automatically be sent off, football's rule-making body has confirmed. ... Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity.14 Apr 2016
    I feel you’ve probably missed a fairly important part of the article with the ellipsis as it only applies where you’ve made a genuine attempt to win the ball, pulling or pushing for one doesn’t apply to that, serious foul play is a straight red regardless of position, as is violent conduct.

Unless your saying I can punch someone in the face in the box and because he gives a penalty I can’t be sent off 😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Hand was raised, wasn't a deliberate diving save... yellow was right call imho

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not saying that.

@hibs.net private member
    The rules states "Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs."

If the ref has thought that the ball was going wide or the player was maybe passing the ball then a pen could be awarded without the red card. Remembers Rocky's red at St Johnstone.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    The rules states "Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs."

If the ref has thought that the ball was going wide or the player was maybe passing the ball then a pen could be awarded without the red card.
    It was indeed a cut back so yellow is correct.

It does. Google it.
    It doesn't. The ref must've deemed it not deliberate because stopping a goal deliberately with your hand is still a red card.

I'm not saying that.
    You are though. You’ve put an article up to back up your point which includes serious foul play and violent conduct beside handball. I’m fairly certain therefore that the article you’ve put up is saying the complete opposite of your point of view.

It was a shot heading into the net 😂

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I thought it was a shot at goal.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

If the ref has thought that the ball was going wide or the player was maybe passing the ball then a pen could be awarded without the red card. Remembers Rocky's red at St Johnstone.
    If the shot was going wide then it wouldn’t be a goal scoring opportunity, obviously, as it wasn’t going in. That shot was going into the net.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    It was a shot heading into the net 😂
    Apologies, from the FFL, it looked like he'd hit the goal line and played it towards the 6 yard box line. I'm 5 rows from the front at the opposite end of the stadium. Error in judgement on my part.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The ref must have decided the handball did not stop a certain goal so a yellow card is correct. Incorrectly in my opinion but that must be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    The ref must have decided the handball did not stop a certain goal so a yellow card is correct.
    Then it’s a massive error and luckily didn’t effect the game, Hecky can get a phonecall tonight from him lol. It would’ve required some save from the keeper to keep it out. It also doesn’t need to stop a ‘certain goal’, just a clear goalscoring opportunity, making the keeper make a good save is a clear opportunity for me.

@hibs.net private member
    If the shot was going wide then it wouldn’t be a goal scoring opportunity, obviously, as it wasn’t going in. That shot was going into the net.
    My memory is a bit hazy but I wasn't sure that was the case at the time. I thought yellow was correct.

He definitely should have been sent off because the ball was going in the net.

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:
    denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Then it’s a massive error and luckily didn’t effect the game, Hecky can get a phonecall tonight from him lol. It would’ve required some save from the keeper to keep it out. It also doesn’t need to stop a ‘certain goal’, just a clear goalscoring opportunity, making the keeper make a good save is a clear opportunity for me.
    Yes I know, I just worded it certain goal cos it was 🥅 ⚽️

My memory is a bit hazy but I wasn't sure that was the case at the time. I thought yellow was correct.
    I was directly behind it in the West and was raging at the time it wasn’t a red as I felt it was a goal bound shot, I’m hoping I’m not proved wrong with highlights..

Unless the referee thinks that the keeper might have been able to save it.

Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

For me it would need to be an ‘easy’ save for that to apply, ie a daisy cutter straight at him. If he had to make a proper ‘save’ then I’d count that as a clear goalscoring opportunity.

For me it would need to be an ‘easy’ save for that to apply, ie a daisy cutter straight at him. If he had to make a proper ‘save’ then I’d count that as a clear goalscoring opportunity.
    I agree.

I'm just trying to guess what the referee is going to say about it to the match supervisor.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

Still a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Only justifiable reason is that the shot wasn't on target.

I agree.

I'm just trying to guess what the referee is going to say about it to the match supervisor.
    I guess his decisions will go under the radar like I said as it was a fairly clean game of football, just daft decisions like that and our bookings while letting them away with them on other days could cost us. Luckily today we were that good that they didn’t matter.