hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok I’ll answer them, again for you.
    Defender was inside 6 yard box so approx 4 yards out.
    Pace of the ball was decently struck.
    Keeper hadn’t started to dive yet, therefore would have been unbelievable had he stopped it.
    So I’m glad you’re now not arguing about the different laws and seem to accept how I’ve described them.

A matter of opinion absolutely fine, just exactly as Hibbyradge has said .

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Have you seen it again, yet? I've watched it a few times, and again just now.

The keeper dives as soon as Sparky shoots. Whether he was getting it or not is another matter, but he might have.
    Multiple times. This photo being after the ball hits the arm and is away from the arm and the keeper still hasn’t dived. Starting to think you’ve probably not seen it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Multiple times. This photo being after the ball hits the arm and is away from the arm and the keeper still hasn’t dived. Starting to think you’ve probably not seen it again.
    I've seen it several times on Hibs TV
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I've seen it several times on Hibs TV
    The photo clearly shows the keeper hadn’t dived until after it hit the arm.

You can freeze frame to prove just about anything. I've posted one showing the keeper starting to dive, a split second after McNulty shot. The referee doesn't have that luxury.

I don't know what you're arguing about now.

Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

You can freeze frame to prove just about anything. I've posted one showing the keeper starting to dive, a split second after McNulty shot. The referee doesn't have that luxury.

I don't know what you're arguing about now.

That split second is after the ball has travelled to the arm (3/4 yards) and left the arm to go away from goal, and he’s only just started to move. It’s clear he was getting nowhere near it.

You can’t say the keeper dived as soon as McNulty hit it as that’s simply not true.

The photo clearly shows the keeper hadn’t dived until after it hit the arm.
    It doesn't clearly show anything, but since when did keepers have to dive before a player shoots to make a save?

As I've said from the start, the player could have been sent off. However, the referee didn't think that the offence merited a red card according to the laws of the game.

Not much else to say really.

That split second is after the ball has travelled to the arm (3/4 yards) and left the arm to go away from goal, and he’s only just started to move. It’s clear he was getting nowhere near it.

You can’t say the keeper dived as soon as McNulty hit it as that’s simply not true.
    Cool. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    OK, let's talk specifically about this incident which I thought we were?

1) Hibs do NOT lose an opportunity to score a goal. The very fact that McNulty gets his shot away is clear evidence of this. End of the argument about denying a goal scoring opportunity unless you don't understand the meaning of an opportunity. For clarity the opportunity cannot continue once the referee has blown his whistle

2) Therefore the ONLY question is did this incident deny a goal....that's open to interpretation and opinion. I have given mine as you have done this also by saying that the GK could've saved it via a 'worldie'. Therefore the correct decision would be a yellow card for simply handball in the penalty area with the added requirement of a yellow card as it was a shot at goal.

You absolutely can be sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity via handball, a defender stopping a through ball to a striker who would be one on one with the GK would be an example of that.

I really hope you aren't a referee!!
    I was the one that started the thread, and your explanation has answered it for me. I had never considered the significance of the term 'opportunity'. It makes sense now. Subjective, but makes sense.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Not sure which game you were watching but it was a shot and the Motherwell player actually dives like a goalie to stole the ball, while he doesn’t extend his arm, he definitely uses it to prevent a goal, no way the keeper was able to see it so unlikely to save it himself.

Should’ve been a red no doubt about it.

I fully expect Heckingbottom to receive his phone call from Clancy by Monday evening 😂
    It was right in front of me and this is how I saw it too.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    I was the one that started the thread, and your explanation has answered it for me. I had never considered the significance of the term 'opportunity'. It makes sense now. Subjective, but makes sense.
    I don't really agree with the explanation. If you deliberately pull someone back when they're clear through in the box it would still be a pen and red - that wouldn't be the case if you accept the explanation.

I think it's more likely the ref has interpreted it as not deliberately denying a goalscoring opportunity but has left his body in a place that is deemed a 'deliberate' handball, i.e. a middle ground that isn't really in the rules.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How was Goldson not a red in the Rangers game? Unfathomable.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I don't really agree with the explanation. If you deliberately pull someone back when they're clear through in the box it would still be a pen and red - that wouldn't be the case if you accept the explanation.

I think it's more likely the ref has interpreted it as not deliberately denying a goalscoring opportunity but has left his body in a place that is deemed a 'deliberate' handball, i.e. a middle ground that isn't really in the rules.
    If they were pulled back when clear through on goal they would've lost the opportunity, so it would be covered by explanation.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    If they were pulled back when clear through on goal they would've lost the opportunity, so it would be covered by explanation.
    I thought the point was that there was a penalty so the opportunity is still there.

Either way, a handball in the box which denies a clear goalscoring opportunity should be a red:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/19/phil-jones-not-sent-last-man-foul-eden-hazard/amp/

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Just watched the highlights and aye, clear red. No attempt to play the ball, realised the guy had him f9r pace and just takes him out as he’s bearing down on the box.

Almost more annoying, McGregor launch the ball right at the Killie lad and then go radge at the ref. My most disliked player, along with Naismith.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I thought the point was that there was a penalty so the opportunity is still there.

Either way, a handball in the box which denies a clear goalscoring opportunity should be a red:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/19/phil-jones-not-sent-last-man-foul-eden-hazard/amp/
    I think the point was that once the attacker takes a shot, they no longer have an opportunity to shoot.

So once it leaves their boot its either a certain goal (red card if stopped illegally) or a possible goal (yellow card if stopped illegally).
    Last edited by Monts; 18-03-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    The answer is in the question, and also explains Morelos coming back out for the second half.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Just watched the highlights and aye, clear red. No attempt to play the ball, realised the guy had him f9r pace and just takes him out as he’s bearing down on the box.

Almost more annoying, McGregor launch the ball right at the Killie lad and then go radge at the ref. My most disliked player, along with Naismith.
    Couldnt agree more you had to laugh what he was doing for the Killie goal there. Looked almost deliberate.