hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (Motherwell 160319)

With an unbeaten league run to protect, Paul Heckingbottom’s Hibs faced up to an in form Motherwell side that was high in confidence and boasted a number of very talented young players so it was always going to be that Hecky’s Hibs would have to be at their best and as it turned out they did not disappoint.

Any snow had melted from the playing surface but the going looked heavy in places and in one or two spots the ball was holding up rather than running true. Despite this, both sides offered up an excellent game of football in the rain and wind that was a good advert for the Scottish game.

In a whirlwind start the visitors were almost a goal up inside the first minute. Ariyibi left David Gray for dead on their left and his low ball across the six yard box was struck onto the base of the post by a retreating Lewis Stevenson. Thankfully Hibs created a quick opportunity of their own with Mallan’s strike drifting just wide of the goal. The home side also created the next chance with McNulty’s low drive hitting the side netting and that had the home fans on the edge of their seats. Mallan and Omeonga were working hard in midfield and the latter started a move that released Horgan down the right. The Hibs man crossed into the six yard area where McNulty got a header away that was saved by the knees of Gillespie.

Hibs were in command now and chances continued to be created, Kamberi just failing to get on the end of a wonderful Horgan pass. Around the twenty minute mark Hibs once again broke down their right and when Horgan cut the ball back to McNulty the Hibs man’s shot was blocked by the arm of Dunne with referee Kevin Clancy not hesitating to point to the spot. It was a question of whether the block with the arm was deliberate or not and Dunne must have heaved a sigh of relief when Clancy produced only a yellow card. The penalty was taken by McNulty and fired home at pace with Gillespie going the right way but beaten by the strength and accuracy of the shot.

For their part, Motherwell looked tidy enough in possession but struggled to break Hibs down as the home side pressed high up the park, not allowing their opponents any time to settle and build. Any efforts at goal were from range and invariably off target. For Hibs, Omeonga was having a very good game and picked out a number of excellent passes. It was from a hefty challenge on him that Hibs created their next chance when Horgan’s free kick delivery found McNulty but the Hibs man headed wide.

The traffic was largely one way and in another sweeping move Hibs won a corner which Mallan delivered onto the head of David Gray, the captain’s header flying past Gillespie to make it 2-0. Stung by this, Motherwell created a chance for Hastie but his weak effort was easily gathered by Marciano whilst at the other end a clever run from Kamberi saw his cross at pace flash across the six yard box with McNulty just out of range. It had been an impressive first half from Hibs with numerous players catching the eye. During the interval my brother and I enthused about what we’d watched and agreed with each other that credit must go to Hecky for getting his tactics spot on.

Early in the second half, David Gray limped off after he’d been hurt just before his goal and had struggled a bit since. This potentially created a problem as none of the players on the pitch or bench could be considered a right back but the problem disappeared when Lewis moved to right back and Sean Mackie came on to play left back. It has to be said that Lewis looked like he’d played there all his life and his performance typified his ability to perform when and wherever needed.

Motherwell had clearly had a flea in their ear at half time as they started the second half with greater purpose but even though they dominated possession for the first fifteen or twenty minutes they did little or nothing with that possession with the only exception being a clever turn and shot from Main which Rocky saved with some ease.

Hibs were soon on the front foot again with Horgan causing them all sorts of problems and it was very encouraging to see a partnership developing between him and McNulty. Corners were fairly frequent and from one, Paul Hanlon hooked the ball just wide before a second saw Gillespie fluff his clearance and the ball striking a body before rolling towards the net but a Motherwell defender was able to clear the danger.

The visitors were desperate now and made substitutions in an effort to salvage something from the game but the next scoring opportunity fell to the hosts when Horgan somehow managed to fire wide with the goal at his mercy. To be fair to the Hibs man he’d been involved in everything positive but now looked like he was running on fumes. Indeed with five minutes left he departed to a standing ovation with Fraser Murray a welcome sight as his replacement.

Throwing everything at us, Motherwell finished strongly with Marciano making a fantastic save from an Aldred effort and then Lewis Stevenson making a last ditch block on Johnson’s effort which looked a goal all the way.

This was definitely a good day at the office as Hibs saw off a team in good form and did so with relative ease given that they got their tactics spot on, they took two of the numerous chances they made and they extended their unbeaten run in the league since Paul Heckingbottom arrived. The players will, for the most part, now get a rest before facing Livingston away in a game that, should they win it, surely cement a top six finish and potentially take them above Hearts.

The players

In a game where there were no failures and a number of very impressive performances I found it hard to pick one player out but I have done that now and I’m pretty sure some posters will agree whilst others won’t. I take that as a positive that we will find it hard to pick one from many.

Rocky – Made a couple of fine saves at crucial times but the truth of the matter is that his outfield colleagues worked very hard to protect him.

SDG – Once again had to leave the field injured. His total commitment costs him dear at times but at least he has a couple of weeks to recover. Fantastic headed goal for the second …. Fantastic but not quite as fantastic as another headed Gray goal from the recent past!

Milli – In the lead up to the game I confess I shared the concerns expressed on the messageboard regarding his ability to play in that position. Many had their doubts and to an extent I shared them but tonight I’m sitting here thinking the guy was an absolute rock from start to finish and as such he wins my man of the match award.

Paul – This was so much more like the Hanlon of old. Despite being battered about by Curtis Main I thought he played him really well and defended well throughout. His reading of the game was also very good today.

Lewis – Hit his own goalpost after half a minute or so and then his next two passes went astray but for the vast majority of the game I thought he handled Hastie and then Frear very well indeed. His block at the death basically summed up his contribution to a fine win.

Daryl – I find him frustrating at times because he kinda flits in and out of games but he was immense today and Motherwell’s left back Richard Tait might still be in Daryl’s back pocket. We need to see that kind of consistency in every game for him to win me over completely.

Stevie – I often hear that Mallan doesn’t work hard enough, doesn’t tackle and disappears for long spells. None of that is true of Stevie Mallan tonight and this was a very good performance from him in my opinion.

Vikki – A Rolls Royce at times he is a very clever footballer but I’d like to see him improve on his physicality. There was one occasion in the second half when the ball looked like his to win but he didn’t go for it. Minutes later he was subbed so I’m assuming he had picked up an injury of some sort.

Stephane – I just love this guy. He must be eight stones dripping wet but he’s a strong wee fella and his work rate and above all creativity were at a very high level today.

Flo – When Flo was pushed wide left against the Rangers, Hecky obviously made that alteration for a good reason as it stopped Tavernier and today that call meant Grimshaw was a little bit less adventurous than he has been in the recent pass. I don’t often agree with Allan Preston ….. in fact I never agree with Allan Preston but today was a first as he offered the view that Flo worked harder than he’s ever seen him do before and I can’t argue with that.

Sparky – This guy simply must start for Scotland in the two upcoming games. He’s scoring goals and importantly he never stops making clever runs. He must be a nightmare to play against and his link up play is exemplary.

Sean – Replaced SDG and was solid in performance, picking up a booking for his first real tackle in the game. Very good going forward, he just needs to have the belief that sometimes he can get a shot away rather than pass to a player in a poorer position.

Marv – The usual wholehearted effort from big Marv and I confess I laughed when Motherwell’s Scott squared up to him as I’m pretty sure Marv would have put him in his place had the referee not been close by.

Fraser – What a delight to see young Fraser get some first team game time. Although he wasn’t on for long he contributed well and earned his win bonus.

Hecky – 10/10 for tactics and set up. The unbeaten run continues.

The fans – Confused the life out of me that the folks in the FF Upper seemed only to be sitting watching in the first half whilst a few rousing verses of Hibs songs emanated from the West. In the second half the drummer and his crew were back on song in the FF Upper.

The ref – Clancy wasn’t too bad I suppose although I’d like him to explain to me why Curtis Main was allowed to foul his way through the game without a caution.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant once again Jonnyboy pretty much agree with all of this Milligan was a rock but my Man Of The Match goes to ....DARYL HORGAN!

Closely followed by the Scottish Rugby Union team for a brilliant second half fight back versus England

Pretty much spot on for me. Milligan was my MOTM closely followed by Omeonga. I thought Mackie looked very good when he came on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Delighted that Milligan is getting the praise he deserve for today. He was fantastic. I would consider keeping the team the same against Livi.

Testimonial Due
    Thanks Jonnyboy

I’ve been critical of Milligan in the past playing central defence but he definitely had his best game for us in that position today.

That said, I’d give MOTM to young Omeonga.

He never stopped all game. He’s strong now and will get stronger as he gets older. That added to his skill will make him a force to be reckoned with. It’s a pity we might not see it though.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Cheers JC. A rare missed game for me today so much appreciated.

Mallan was my man of the match but Milligan was very good too

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    My initial reaction to the seeing the team prior to the game was a worry about lack of pace at the back (something of a general concern this season for me) but the lads coped very well, with Milligan pretty much outstanding and Paul Hanlon having his best game of the season for me.

It had felt we had got off track a bit this season but a more than decent performance today and we played some great stuff especially in the first half. We'll finish about hearts, we're simply better than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty much spot on for me. Milligan was my MOTM closely followed by Omeonga. I thought Mackie looked very good when he came on.
    This is how it feels

Omeonga MOTM for me. Aye he made a couple of mistakes but overall he is so assured on the ball and off the ball he harried the opposition really well, getting a toe in a few times to rob or disrupt.
    Thought Mackie was really good when he came on and was unfortunate to pick up yellow making a tackle that he shouldn't have had to make if Mallan had done his job better covering back. Having said that, Mallan got stuck right in today and did well overall.
    Horgan still a bit Jekyll and Hyde for me.

Pretty much how i saw it Jonnyboy.
    A special mention for Mallan who i have been critical of.
    He did lots of good work, working hard and distributing the ball just in front of Milligan & Hanlon.
    Kamberi was pretty poor in the 1st half but did magnificent defensive work for the cause in the 2nd half.
    Milligan played his best match in a defensive line today but i would bring McGregor back for the Livingston game for his abilities in the air against what will be tall robust opponents.
    We snuffed a good team out today with the exception of the first 2 minutes and the last 2 minutes.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 17-03-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Omeonga MOTM for me. Aye he made a couple of mistakes but overall he is so assured on the ball and off the ball he harried the opposition really well, getting a toe in a few times to rob or disrupt.
    Thought Mackie was really good when he came on and was unfortunate to pick up yellow making a tackle that he shouldn't have had to make if Mallan had done his job better covering back. Having said that, Mallan got stuck right in today and did well overall.
    Horgan still a bit Jekyll and Hyde for me.
    Yep, Stephane was close to my man of the match and I was just happy there were several in contention 👍
    This is how it feels

Not seen it mentioned on any other thread and here is as good as any. One of the most heartwarming things from the game was the 10 second challenge at half time. In particular the young lad with the walker. He looked like he was loving it and the crowd responded well. I didn’t catch what the group was but they added to a very enjoyable afternoon. Well done lads.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadesLongThrow View Post
    Not seen it mentioned on any other thread and here is as good as any. One of the most heartwarming things from the game was the 10 second challenge at half time. In particular the young lad with the walker. He looked like he was loving it and the crowd responded well. I didn’t catch what the group was but they added to a very enjoyable afternoon. Well done lads.
    Agreed. Wonderful to watch and heartwarming to see the reaction of the kids.
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Mackie was good going forward but in his primary role as a defender he was poor. He kept diving in trying to win every ball. To me it just showed how good a defender Stevenson is as he had kept his man quiet all afternoon

@hibs.net private member
    The singing in the West was coming from the posh seats (hospitality). I’ve never heard songs emanating from there before. The singers certainly seemed merry and quite rightly.

Interestingly the Shetland Branch were also at the game.

A good result and, overall, a good performance. The one thing I did find frustrating, though, was how often (and not for the first time this season) we gave the ball away in midfield, particularly in the first half. I'm not 'having a go' but if we can cut out so many unforced errors we'll win these sort of games even more convincingly. Good day otherwise, though.

Good report Jonnyboy.

I was frightened to post that Milligan had a good game in case the 'experts' on here gave me a right good going over.

From where I sat Milligan exuded class in everything he did. Main should have been long gone before half time but it didn't matter a jot because between Milligan and Hanlon he never got a kick.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Good report Jonnyboy.

I was frightened to post that Milligan had a good game in case the 'experts' on here gave me a right good going over.

From where I sat Milligan exuded class in everything he did. Main should have been long gone before half time but it didn't matter a jot because between Milligan and Hanlon he never got a kick.
    I haven’t understood the ‘Milligan is crap’ brigade either.

He DID have couple of poor games...Celtic and Kilmarnock where he rightly deserved little praise, but when he, Martin Boyle and Jamie MacLaren went off to the Asian Cup I just didn’t understand the ‘hope they don’t come back’ sentiments...aimed at the Aussie born duo.

The power of suggestion is a powerful tool, and seems to have been embraced and clouded the view of his performances up until now by some.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Good report Jonnyboy.

Mark was my MOM by a distance

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I haven’t understood the ‘Milligan is crap’ brigade either.

He DID have couple of poor games...Celtic and Kilmarnock where he rightly deserved little praise, but when he, Martin Boyle and Jamie MacLaren went off to the Asian Cup I just didn’t understand the ‘hope they don’t come back’ sentiments...aimed at the Aussie born duo.

The power of suggestion is a powerful tool, and seems to have been embraced and clouded the view of his performances up until now by some.
    Milligan had a good game on Saturday and fair play to him for turning things around since returning from the Asia Cup

I wonder if we will ever find out what really happened with Jamie MAC at Easter Road?

Was he a victim of Neil Lennons cult of personality?

Was he really injured?

Strange that he was repeatedly left on the bench at times when we badly needed a goal?

Or was he as others have suggested just gash?

There is no doubt that Flo and Jamie had a massive falling out with Neil Lennon

When asked Jamie MAC has nothing but praise for Neil Lennon as a Coach

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Milligan had a good game on Saturday and fair play to him for turning things around since returning from the Asia Cup

I wonder if we will ever find out what really happened with Jamie MAC at Easter Road?

Was he a victim of Neil Lennons cult of personality?

Was he really injured?

Strange that he was repeatedly left on the bench at times when we badly needed a goal?

Or was he as others have suggested just gash?

There is no doubt that Flo and Jamie had a massive falling out with Neil Lennon

When asked Jamie MAC has nothing but praise for Neil Lennon as a Coach
    I think Jamie is just being professional and knows there is no benefit to him in slagging an ex coach.

I think that Lennon just didn’t think Jamie was up to much after a few games second time around, and just didn’t pick him accordingly.

I got pelted for suggesting that Jamie was neither a superstar nor ‘gash’ as once called...but I think over an extended period, that observation has been borne out.

He will score regularly in Oz where defences don’t mark so close and the game is a bit slower than Scotland, but was always going to struggle for game time in most European leagues.

Think he is a top bloke by the way, just not what we need to lead the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I think Jamie is just being professional and knows there is no benefit to him in slagging an ex coach.

I think that Lennon just didn’t think Jamie was up to much after a few games second time around, and just didn’t pick him accordingly.

I got pelted for suggesting that Jamie was neither a superstar nor ‘gash’ as once called...but I think over an extended period, that observation has been borne out.

He will score regularly in Oz where defences don’t mark so close and the game is a bit slower than Scotland, but was always going to struggle for game time in most European leagues.

Think he is a top bloke by the way, just not what we need to lead the line.

Agree

We move on!

We have Sparky 2 now

Onwards and upwards

GGTTH