hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I thought VAR was great at the world cup. Added a new layer of drama.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate VAR and I’m dreading the prospect of or coming into our game.

The best feeling in football Is watching your team score a goal and the raw emotion that comes with that. If it gets to the stage of not celebrating until VAR has been checked I think I might chuck it and just stay in the pub instead,
    100%. Hopefully it never ever comes in for Scotland. Football for the TV consumer not the matchgoing fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    And all it takes is the linesman to put his flag up, wrongly, to deny you the opportunity of celebrating a good goal.
    I think you missed my point. With a linesman wrongly flagging you know in a second, with VAR it could be chalked off any time from the goal to the kick off.

Some are all for VAR, others think that with poor decisions you win some and you lose some and it's a danger to keep tinkering with the rules of the game too much.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    3 goals in the Wolves v Man U game tonight. VAR not required for any of them.

A wrongly awarded red card was changed to yellow after a VAR review.

That's all good, right?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Blog Entries
    Having taken a 2-0 lead, Swansea have just been knocked out of the FA Cup by Man City.

There was no VAR in operation and the referee wrongly awarded a penalty from which Man City equalised.

They went on to get a winner which was, TV showed, clearly offside.

There is a lot of opposition to VAR on this forum, so I would like to ask whether those with that view think that such a travesty as tonight is worth it to keep the technology away from the game?

I'm looking for a discussion, not an argument.
    I had 3-2 City & Swansea ht, City ft. I'm a big fan of no VAR 😁

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    3 goals in the Wolves v Man U game tonight. VAR not required for any of them.

A wrongly awarded red card was changed to yellow after a VAR review.

That's all good, right?
    Meh......

Win some lose some still wins in my view

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I thought VAR was great at the world cup. Added a new layer of drama.
    So did I until it changed the course of the final with the handball decision against Perisic. That decision actually sums up pretty well what I don't like about VAR, the decisions can become robotic and based on technicalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    I think you missed my point. With a linesman wrongly flagging you know in a second, with VAR it could be chalked off any time from the goal to the kick off.

Some are all for VAR, others think that with poor decisions you win some and you lose some and it's a danger to keep tinkering with the rules of the game too much.
    Yes, you know in a second, but it's wrong. You should be celebrating.

It seems that some fans are happy to accept wrongly awarded penalties, penalties wrongly not awarded, offsides given and not given, red cards wrongly awarded or not and simulation etc etc just so that they don't have to wait for confirmation that an occasional marginal goal is good.

It seems mad to me, but it must make sense to others.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Meh......

Win some lose some still wins in my view
    I'm sure all the referees who always seem to give Rantic the benefit of the doubt agree with you.

Yes, you know in a second, but it's wrong. You should be celebrating.

It seems that some fans are happy to accept wrongly awarded penalties, penalties wrongly not awarded, offsides given and not given, red cards wrongly awarded or not and simulation etc etc just so that they don't have to wait for confirmation that an occasional marginal goal is good.

It seems mad to me, but it must make sense to others.
    You crave perfection but that’s not realistic in my opinion.

Football has been fine for years without VAR, I don’t see why we need it now.

I'm sure all the referees who always seem to give Rantic the benefit of the doubt agree with you.
    They don’t IMO and that’s maybe why I’m against VAR.

If VAR was in place at the most recent game against the Rangers we might not have equalised.

Any suggestion of bias is nonsense imo, that’s why I think I’d rather stick with the win some and lose some option.

The exception to that is goal line technology which has been proven to be quick, decisive and beyond argument.

You crave perfection but that’s not realistic in my opinion.

Football has been fine for years without VAR, I don’t see why we need it now.
    I don't crave perfection. I want obviously wrong decisions to be corrected.

Football has not been fine.

Colin Campbell not being awarded a penalty after being brought down in the box in the 1979 final, was not fine.

The Dundee United goal which hit the back stantion before being handed to a Partick Thistle player in the box, only for the ref to say "play on" was not fine.

The penalty awarded against us in 2012, was not fine.

Etc etc etc.

That's a flawed game at best, corrupt at worst.

I don't crave perfection. I want obviously wrong decisions to be corrected.

Football has not been fine.

Colin Campbell not being awarded a penalty after being brought down in the box in the 1979 final, was not fine.

The Dundee United goal which hit the back stantion before being handed to a Partick Thistle player in the box, only for the ref to say "play on" was not fine.

The penalty awarded against us in 2012, was not fine.

Etc etc etc.

That's a flawed game at best, corrupt at worst.
    Yet despite these mistakes millions of people still love football.

All the teams you mentioned have benefited from bad decisions too.

Anyway, as you said earlier, you’re not going to chamge my mind so let’s just agree I’m right and move on.

Yet despite these mistakes millions of people still love football.

All the teams you mentioned have benefited from bad decisions too.

Anyway, as you said earlier, you’re not going to chamge my mind so let’s just agree I’m right and move on.

I hate VAR and I’m dreading the prospect of or coming into our game.

The best feeling in football Is watching your team score a goal and the raw emotion that comes with that. If it gets to the stage of not celebrating until VAR has been checked I think I might chuck it and just stay in the pub instead,
    This is a sound reason why VAR isn’t the Medicinal Compound many make it out to be. Yes there were serious mistakes in that game - just as there are in 100s of games. Unfortunately though, not all leagues will ‘benefit’ from the VAR experience. I prefer the spontaneity of football and dread the advent of 3 hour, stop-start, bore fests.

Anyone who doesn't want VAR wasn't at our play off games against Falkirk. Most frustrating games every, being kicked, fouled, cheated for 180 minutes, denied a penalty at 2-1 up in first leg, Falkirk player not sent off in 2nd leg.

No one could honestly be happy with not having VAR with the amount of times Hibs have been utterly shafted in big games. Disrupt all you want, I want Hibs to win or lose based on the performance of Hibs players, not the referee.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Anyone who doesn't want VAR wasn't at our play off games against Falkirk. Most frustrating games every, being kicked, fouled, cheated for 180 minutes, denied a penalty at 2-1 up in first leg, Falkirk player not sent off in 2nd leg.

No one could honestly be happy with not having VAR with the amount of times Hibs have been utterly shafted in big games. Disrupt all you want, I want Hibs to win or lose based on the performance of Hibs players, not the referee.
    No one is saying they are happy but that’s not the issue. There’s been instances where VAR was used and the ref still called it wrongly. We have benefited numerous times from dodgy decisions - someone made the point about Stokes’ ‘nudge’ on Tavernier and there was Stevenson’s push in the box earlier in the game. We don’t need VAR for throw ins but one of my concerns is that it will eventually be used for them. May as well have robot refs with everyone watching fitba from home voting for a decision on a wee console. I love my game - warts an’ all!

@hibs.net private member
    Anyone who doesn't want VAR wasn't at our play off games against Falkirk.
    I was at the games but don’t want VAR

Was at both legs, would go through that all again instead of having VAR if they were the two options.

For the couch consumer, not the football fan. Hopefully it never ever comes into Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post

For the couch consumer, not the football fan. Hopefully it never ever comes into Scotland.
    It's actually for the referees.

Most weeks, particularly if we've lost, there are threads accusing referees of corruption and/or incompetence.

VAR will help to resolve that.

"The ref was a biased, cheating, hun-lover, but at least we didn't stop the game for 90 seconds to sort it out", will be said by no-one, ever.

And it will definitely come into the SPFL, within the next 5 years, probably sooner when it's shown to have improved the game in England.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 17-03-2019 at 07:26 AM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    VAR decision goes against Rangers - it’s Celtic people operating it.

VAR decision goes against Celtic - it’s Rangers people operating it.

Back to to square one!

@hibs.net private member
    For me the debate is over - VAR is here whether you like it or not (it's a good thing imo).

The focus now needs to be ensuring equal coverage at all top flight grounds in Scotland and making the process quicker.

It's taking too long to review decisions compared with other sports and that can suck the life out of the a game if there are too many stoppages.

There is too much money now in the football for one man's mistakes to decide a game. The playoff final in England is worth what £120m? And a terrible error by one man, when we have an army of cameras, can decide the course of that game?

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Back to to square one!
    VAR isn't going to cure chronic paranoia. Those ridiculous accusations will be made regardless of the circumstances.

The difference being, more decisions are correct.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 17-03-2019 at 07:54 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Back to to square one!
    It will never get rid of all controversy, a great example being the Manchester United penalty against PSG - I must have watched that 10 times and still don't know if it was the right decision.

But clear errors like say Shaw and Griffiths 'goals' against Hearts would be checked and the correct call made.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    For me the debate is over - VAR is here whether you like it or not (it's a good thing imo).

The focus now needs to be ensuring equal coverage at all top flight grounds in Scotland and making the process quicker.

It's taking too long to review decisions compared with other sports and that can suck the life out of the a game if there are too many stoppages.

There is too much money now in the football for one man's mistakes to decide a game. The playoff final in England is worth what £120m? And a terrible error by one man, when we have an army of cameras, can decide the course of that game?
    Obviously, I agree.

I do feel that people are a bit selective when they moan about the potential for delays.

It would be interesting to count the total amount of time wasted during the delays when players are being treated for injuries, real or invented. I don't hear too many complaining about that even though most of that time is lost.

When VAR is shown to be a success in England, our game will look even more amateur in comparison than it does now.

While the EPL are getting decisions right, "highlights" of games in Scotland will be getting laughed at because of the referee's mistakes/incompetence/corruption, delete as appropriate.

The SFA and SPFL are regularly criticised for being unable to negotiate a more lucrative TV deal, yet suggestions to improve the product for TV viewer are slammed.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 17-03-2019 at 07:58 AM.

ref Alan Muir failed to give us a pen v Falkirk in the playoffs (when the boy ROLLED the ball with his hand) and it kept us relegated for a whole extra season.

when leigh griffiths scored a free kick v hearts that was so far over the line that NASA could spot it, the officials failed to spot it and it cost us a home derby win

olly shaws goal at tynecastle cost us an away win in the derby when officials failed to spot it

see folk who say "waiting 150 seconds is too long" naaah we NEED var and we NEED correct decisions.

theres my 3 reasons to bring in var asap

Obviously, I agree.

I do feel that people are a bit selective when they moan about the potential for delays.

It would be interesting to count the total amount of time wasted during the delays when players are being treated for injuries, real or invented. I don't hear too many complaining about that even though most of that time is lost.

When VAR is shown to be a success in England, our game will look even more amateur in comparison than it does now.

While the EPL are getting decisions right, "highlights" of games in Scotland will be getting laughed at because of the referee's mistakes/incompetence/corruption, delete as appropriate.

The SFA and SPFL are regularly criticised for being unable to negotiate a more lucrative TV deal, yet suggestions to improve the product are slammed for being so ed at the TV viewer.
    Forgetting my views on VAR for a second as I agree there’s an inevitability about it coming in, do you have faith in the SFA/SPFL doing it effectively?

Imo it’s an absolute certainty they’ll make a complete erse of it one way or another.

I like VAR but it needs quickened up, done properly big decisions should go the correct way. Lindelof's tackle last night when it overturned a red is a perfect example.

Forgetting my views on VAR for a second as I agree there’s an inevitability about it coming in, do you have faith in the SFA/SPFL doing it effectively?

Imo it’s an absolute certainty they’ll make a complete erse of it one way or another.
    Yes.

There will be teething problems, just as there were at the world cup and the FA cup, but it will settle down.

You'll still have a few months to whinge about it though, so it's a win win.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 17-03-2019 at 08:11 AM.

I've just thought of another benefit from bringing in VAR, albeit an unintentional spin-off.

When I started going to games, they would finish, unless Rantic were needing a goal , at precisely 4.40pm.

Now, because of the longer halftime break, and because referees are more inclined to add on time for stoppages after both halves, it's closer to 5.00pm before the final whistle sounds.

On the occasions that there has been a VAR delay, it will be even closer to the hour mark.

The early leavers will be delighted!