hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Companies like LNER happy to run their ads alongside videos of the attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Companies like LNER happy to run their ads alongside videos of the attack.

Am I missing something here?

Do you expect there to be no adverts next to articles containing bad news?

The advert will either be because they have paid to be next to X amount of their stories or based on your search history depending on how these ones work.
    Mon the Hibs.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    Killer has “for Rotherham” written on one of his assault rifle magazine clips.

If if this isn’t proof of the hatered and extremism spread by Stephen Yaxley-Lennon then nothing is.

sit back and wait on Hibs.net’s defenders of “our Tommy”
    Tommy Ten Names enjoys a certain amount of celebrity status down under. It's easy for him to sell his lies on the other side of the world amongst their hard of thinking. I would not be surprised if there is a definite link there.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

The advert will either be because they have paid to be next to X amount of their stories or based on your search history depending on how these ones work.
    I think the point is that the Daily Mail made the attackers live stream available for download rather than the adverts.

I think if I was in charge of advertising for a company I would definitely make it clear I did not want my brand associated with terrorist snuff videos.

I think if I was in charge of advertising for a company I would definitely make it clear I did not want my brand associated with terrorist snuff videos.

That is fair enough, but then you probably just wouldn't advertise on a news website at all then really, it's not usually stuff that is a good image to be associated with. Take the top 10 news stories on the BBC (maybe not the best example, since they don't have adverts) which would you want to advertise against:

1. Mosque terror attack
    2. 18 year old dies
    3. 2 killed
    4. Brexit vote
    5. Man killed
    6. Jackson child abuse allegations
    7. Wetherspoons profits are up
    8. Lib Dems
    9. A killer
    10. Mosque terror attack

I don't think anyone would ever link the story of an article with a brand advertising near the article. If the story had been about a train crash then someone might have took notice, but otherwise I don't see why you would expect them not to just follow normal advertising procedures for the story.
    Mon the Hibs.

That is fair enough, but then you probably just wouldn't advertise on a news website at all then really, it's not usually stuff that is a good image to be associated with. Take the top 10 news stories on the BBC (maybe not the best example, since they don't have adverts) which would you want to advertise against:

1. Mosque terror attack
    2. 18 year old dies
    3. 2 killed
    4. Brexit vote
    5. Man killed
    6. Jackson child abuse allegations
    7. Wetherspoons profits are up
    8. Lib Dems
    9. A killer
    10. Mosque terror attack

I don't think anyone would ever link the story of an article with a brand advertising near the article. If the story had been about a train crash then someone might have took notice, but otherwise I don't see why you would expect them not to just follow normal advertising procedures for the story.
    If it was just a news report then fine but the mail are showing the whole video and have a downloadable copy of his manifesto. It’s almost a ‘how to’ guide. Most responsible news sites don’t do this.
    If companies like LNER want to fund this then they deserve to be called out.

I wouldn't want any business I owned to have any links to the Daily Mail.

They have a large leadership (a surprisingly resilient print copy one and a successful online one) that makes it tempting to do business with them.

You have to be prepared to have your brand standard associated with theirs though, and if it's not live terrorism it might be links to Katie Hopkins or Jeremy Clarkson or whichever hateful and incendiary line they happen to be peddling on any given day.

You take their buck to advertise on your site, you deserve to be associated with them, you deserve the brand damage you may suffer as a result.

I'm not going to tolerate "aye, but we didnae expect the Daily Mail to go with stuff like this" from desperate business folk who were only to happy to take the Mail's tainted dollar as they desperately try to savage their company's reputation.

If it was just a news report then fine but the mail are showing the whole video and have a downloadable copy of his manifesto. It’s almost a ‘how to’ guide. Most responsible news sites don’t do this.
    If companies like LNER want to fund this then they deserve to be called out.

I see your point now. I hadn't fully appreciated what the article contained (despite your post saying so!). I still think it's the DM at fault than LNER, but I understand what you're saying in terms of choosing to advertise with a company who would publish the videos.
    Mon the Hibs.

I see your point now. I hadn't fully appreciated what the article contained (despite your post saying so!). I still think it's the DM at fault than LNER, but I understand what you're saying in terms of choosing to advertise with a company who would publish the videos.
    There is no point trying to change the DM. They backed Hitler ffs.
    But we can stop funding them and other by going after the advertisers.
    The explosion in right wing hate stuff online is because google ads, YouTube, Facebook etc have given them a way to monetise their hatred.

There was a thread on this forum very recently where people were defending Tommy Robinson. Robinson once said that British Muslims are “enemy combatants who want to kill you, maim you and destroy you”; and refugees are “raping their way through the country”.* People need to wake up and see the link between rhetoric like that and the awful events in New Zealand.

*Source

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Tommy Robinson, who's real name is Stephen yaxley-Lennon doorstepped on his way to court.

https://youtu.be/u6OkcwV1zew

2.42 minutes in.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Statement from an Australian senator.

What a horrible ****.

Is everyone aware that he only got 19 votes in 2016 and was only elected because the winner was disqualified because of fraud.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Imagine filming yourself as you murder 49 people, as if it's entertainment or for some kind of celebrity. Could it be the attempt of a social inadequate to become known for something, anything? No doubt more details about the killer will emerge.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dinkydoo1875
    You're upset and angry, I get it. So are we all. But you've mostly shown here a complete lack of understanding of how these platforms and the tech that underpins them work.

Facebook live-streamed the attack. If a broadcaster did this people would be sent to jail.

Facebook will have had absolutely no idea what content was in the video it was broadcasting live from the live feed itself. These aren't being reviewed by millions of people in real time, nor is there an AI out there capable of distinguishing real life murder in a video broadcast from fiction which would have been able to auto-reject the feed after a few seconds.

This only exists because they have a platform to share their violence. This is how they communicate with each other.

No. The internet is not to blame. Neither is mobile phones, snail mail or any other method of communication the problem here. There were these types of attacks before social media existed.

The ads will mostly appear on auto-rotation based on the User's (your) browser history. The marketing dept probably signed a contract that did not explicitly rule out the chance of their ad popping up on a page containing a "snuff video", why would it. It's a massively unlikely scenario. May as well add beastality, paedos and pretty much any other nasty **** you can think of to that list.

You could come off Facebook, YouTube etc until they stop promoting these people. If people do this then advertisers will follow and the sites will change their policies real quick.

This I can *kinda* see what you're getting at. I agree, we need to be better at recognising and then banning hate speech and groups online. It took FAR too long for Tommy Robinson to have his social media accounts revoked. We also need to make sure that people DO have the freedom to speak about contraversial things in the public space though. The legislation around this should be clear and implemented rigorously imo.

'Ironic' far right fascism? I can't say I understand all of this article, or the motivations of the people it's describing, but it's intriguing and scary...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/co...online-fascism

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    This is a shocking act of brutality that any right minded person has to wholeheartedly oppose and come together with all other right minded people from different backgrounds to ensure that these poisonous thoughts are not allowed to be promoted unchallenged.

Whatever cause the perpetrators felt they were helping is totally false. They haven't helped the victims of other attacks or gained revenge on their behalf. They have murdered many innocent lives of people who were simply going quietly about their day.

There are some really dangerously wicked people on this planet. I really feel for every single person affected by this evil atrocity.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    You're upset and angry, I get it. So are we all. But you've mostly shown here a complete lack of understanding of how these platforms and the tech that underpins them work.

Facebook will have had absolutely no idea what content was in the video it was broadcasting live from the live feed itself. These aren't being reviewed by millions of people in real time, nor is there an AI out there capable of distinguishing real life murder in a video broadcast from fiction which would have been able to auto-reject the feed after a few seconds.

No. The internet is not to blame. Neither is mobile phones, snail mail or any other method of communication the problem here. There were these types of attacks before social media existed.

The ads will mostly appear on auto-rotation based on the User's (your) browser history. The marketing dept probably signed a contract that did not explicitly rule out the chance of their ad popping up on a page containing a "snuff video", why would it. It's a massively unlikely scenario. May as well add beastality, paedos and pretty much any other nasty **** you can think of to that list.

This I can *kinda* see what you're getting at. I agree, we need to be better at recognising and then banning hate speech and groups online. It took FAR too long for Tommy Robinson to have his social media accounts revoked. We also need to make sure that people DO have the freedom to speak about contraversial things in the public space though. The legislation around this should be clear and implemented rigorously imo.
    This guy would have been online for a long time spewing his hate speech. Facebook will have had plenty of opportunity to remove him and the groups he converses in. It’s not a free speech issue. Facebook are a commercial platform and have the right to remove anyone they choose. It’s time they started.

This guy would have been online for a long time spewing his hate speech. Facebook will have had plenty of opportunity to remove him and the groups he converses in. It’s not a free speech issue. Facebook are a commercial platform and have the right to remove anyone they choose. It’s time they started.

Apparently police alerted FB to the live stream

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Apparently police alerted FB to the live stream
    This guy should never have been on Facebook for the live stream to happen. Whole manifestos, mass attack plans, death threats etc all seem to go un-noticed by Facebook but one stray nipple in a picture and it’s taken down within 30 mins. Their priorities are very wrong.

Gamer IDs

This guy should never have been on Facebook for the live stream to happen. Whole manifestos, mass attack plans, death threats etc all seem to go un-noticed by Facebook but one stray nipple in a picture and it’s taken down within 30 mins. Their priorities are very wrong.

They do need to be more responsive to this kinda thing however, it is much, much easier to detect a nipple in a photograph than it is to recognise hate speech. Algorithmic censorship (because there aren't enough people to review every single reported post) could open a massive can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    They do need to be more responsive to this kinda thing however, it is much, much easier to detect a nipple in a photograph than it is to recognise hate speech. Algorithmic censorship (because there aren't enough people to review every single reported post) could open a massive can of worms.
    These people congregate in groups though. Facebook could easily afford to hire the people needed to weed these groups out. They are not hard to find. One person tasked with deleting rascist accounts in the uk could do a lot damage to these network in a day. All these ‘Britain first’ ‘Britain for the british’ type accounts are easy to find and they tend to all link to each other making them easy to find could be wiped out in a week. These are the entry points for these people.
    It just needs Facebook to act.

First Team Breakthrough Besties Debut's Avatar
    Remember the holocaust didn't start with the gas chambers at Auschwitz. It started with hate speech. That is why we need a huge crackdown on the likes of Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins, Choudhary, and Britain First and those who preach hatred and division. If not these attacks and the revenge which follows will never end

Gamer IDs

These people congregate in groups though. Facebook could easily afford to hire the people needed to weed these groups out. They are not hard to find. One person tasked with deleting rascist accounts in the uk could do a lot damage to these network in a day. All these ‘Britain first’ ‘Britain for the british’ type accounts are easy to find and they tend to all link to each other making them easy to find could be wiped out in a week. These are the entry points for these people.
    It just needs Facebook to act.

Don't diasgree with any of that. I'd put more accountability on our government though as well. Pass some laws, force the hand of these massive media platforms to ruthlessly weed out the obvious cyber bullies and hate preachers from their networks.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Besties Debut View Post
    Remember the holocaust didn't start with the gas chambers at Auschwitz. It started with hate speech. That is why we need a huge crackdown on the likes of Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins, Choudhary, and Britain First and those who preach hatred and division. If not these attacks and the revenge which follows will never end
    Agree.

Add EDL and Orange Walks to the list of white hate groups that gets a lot of slack from the media and law. It's unacceptable and turning a blind eye to it only serves to allow that sorta thing to breed more hatred and grow out of control.

Our favourite Australian senator yesterday.

https://twitter.com/henry_belot/stat...414919681?s=21

Bit puzzled that so far The Donald doesn't seem to have publicly weighed in with any sort of claim that this shooting proves that there'd be no point tightening US gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Bit puzzled that so far The Donald doesn't seem to have publicly weighed in with any sort of claim that this shooting proves that there'd be no point tightening US gun laws.
    All I've seen from him so far is a claim that white nationalism isn't a growing threat and it's only a 'small group of people'.

From a man who tried to introduce a blanket ban on travel from entire countries that would be amusing if it wasn't such a serious subject.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    The Australian that committed the murders yesterday could not have bought those weapons in Australia because the gun laws are so much tighter since Port Arthur so he had to do it in New Zealand. I think that perfectly illustrates the benefit of tight gun control.

The Australian that committed the murders yesterday could not have bought those weapons in Australia because the gun laws are so much tighter since Port Arthur so he had to do it in New Zealand. I think that perfectly illustrates the benefit of tight gun control.
    Indeed, but how would Trump be able to work out that Australia and New Zealand are different countries?