hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

You couldn’t make it up .....

Copied and pasted from Follow Follow:

RANGERS say the SFA must deal with sectarian abuse aimed at Steven Gerrard by Aberdeen fans.

Some Dons supporters were heard at full-time chanting the bigoted ‘Cheer up…’ song at the Gers gaffer and taunting him with the vile ‘sad Orange b*****d’ lyrics.

It comes a week after First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned clubs to sort out fans’ sectarian behaviour or her Government will step in.

A Gers spokesperson said: “The match delegate is aware of sectarian chants from some Aberdeen fans and it is up to the SFA to deal with that.”

SunSport has asked Aberdeen for comment.

For decades fans have put a sectarian slant on The Monkees’ classic Daydream Believer to taunt opposing players and managers.

Last month Rangers-daft funnyman Andy Cameron, 79, blasted those who unleashed the bigoted version of the ‘Cheer up…’ chorus at their rivals.

Pots and kettles, glasshouses and so on .........

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    This should be fun.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    They probably will punish 300 fans wearing red before 50,000 fans wearing blue or hoops.

Left by mutual consent!
    download.jpg

Wow

Surely they've heard of the word 'irony' and its meaning?

Mon the Cabbage!!!

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    The Rangers have the same right to be free of sectarian abuse as every other club, and taunting them with Orange ******** is unacceptable. If we are to defeat the problem, sectarianism must be eradicated from all sides. Of course Rangers, as the biggest part of the problem, really do have some brass neck here; but, on the other hand, their sudden interest in sectarian abuse leaves them with nowhere to hide when Rangers fans next partake in such behaviour i.e. their next fixture and every game after that. Every time Rangers fans sing bigoted songs, simply ask them whether the match delegate is aware of it....

The only way to end sectarianism is zero tolerance on all sides, which, in my opinion, will require strict liability. Clubs simply asking their fans to behave does nothing.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Rangers have the same right to be free of sectarian abuse as every other club, and taunting them with Orange ******** is unacceptable. If we are to defeat the problem, sectarianism must be eradicated from all sides. Of course Rangers, as the biggest part of the problem, really do have some brass neck here; but, on the other hand, their sudden interest in sectarian abuse leaves them with nowhere to hide when Rangers fans next partake in such behaviour i.e. their next fixture and every game after that. Every time Rangers fans sing bigoted songs, simply ask them whether the match delegate is aware of it....

The only way to end sectarianism is zero tolerance on all sides, which, in my opinion, will require strict liability. Clubs simply asking their fans to behave does nothing.
    That was pretty much my reaction when I read it, they've painted themselves into a corner by complaining. Whether the press will mention bigoted shouting from Sevco fans is of course another matter.......

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Orange and Hun are mildly perjorative nicknames for anyone of the Rangers tribe, not sectarian abuse. Discuss.

And Stevie Gerrard is Catholic.

The whataboutery and faux outrage is reaching ludicrous levels. IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Orange and Hun are mildly perjorative nicknames for anyone of the Rangers tribe, not sectarian abuse. Discuss.

And Stevie Gerrard is Catholic.

The whataboutery and faux outrage is reaching ludicrous levels. IMO.
    I would say orange =proddy.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I’am a proddy but would never go near a tanning shop

you can be one without the other,

First Team Breakthrough
    However proddy does not equal orange so I would argue not sectarian.

Left by mutual consent!

The Hun will have NOTHING to hide from because our esteemed 'media' ('Old S*um' PR) will say nothing as usual !

Maybe we can sit on our hands and adopt the American version of singing. Maybe a "Defense" chat and something like "Let's go Hibees"

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    The only solution is to award Sevco the cup now.

Imagine them having to listen to sectarian singing and the authorities standing idly by.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

First Team Breakthrough calamitus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: marmite machine
    Trumpian deflection.

Quote Originally Posted by calamitus View Post
    Trumpian deflection.
    Now there's an orange barsteward

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Now there's an orange barsteward
    About time he was "tangoed"!

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    The most bigoted, sectarian club on this earth accusing big bad Aberdeen of sectarianism...you just can't make it up.

Time for Scottish football to stand up to these pricks. Every club release an anti-sectarian message directly accusing The Rangers of their disgusting party songs after every game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    The most bigoted, sectarian club on this earth accusing big bad Aberdeen of sectarianism...you just can't make it up.

Time for Scottish football to stand up to these pricks. Every club release an anti-sectarian message directly accusing The Rangers of their disgusting party songs after every game.
    Hibs have had ample opportunities to do this and have shat it everytime. Stubbs and Lennon were subjected to 90 mins of abuse everytime we played them purely because they're catholics and our board said zilch.

Was Andy Cameron not on camera at a Rangers (RIP) game many moons ago singing the sash or another "folk" song?

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Was Andy Cameron not on camera at a Rangers (RIP) game many moons ago singing the sash or another "folk" song?
    No.

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    pretty confident he was caught given it laldy at the 1993 cup final. Maybe he's just a 90 min bigot like the rest of them?

Aye yi could be right. Remember some sort of stooshie about it

Left by mutual consent!
    Hahahahahaha ahhhhhh hahahahahahahahaha

Awwww. Poor lambs

Sad Orange B... is NOT sectarian.

Being an Orangeman is not equivelant to being a member of a religion. It is more closely related to supremacist organisations that despise other groups... in their case, Roman Catholics.

This is just typical whitabootery that we've come to expect from these people.

Fans of The Rangers are the Ultimate Bigots.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

Being an Orangeman is not equivelant to being a member of a religion. It is more closely related to supremacist organisations that despise other groups... in their case, Roman Catholics.

I disagree, it is sectarian. Not all Rangers supporters are religious Protestants, far less members of the OO. To refer to their entire support as being members/supporters of the OO is to attach a religious stereotype which is meant as a slur. It's a chant which shouldn't be heard at football stadia.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

I disagree, it is sectarian. Not all Rangers supporters are religious Protestants, far less members of the OO. To refer to their entire support as being members/supporters of the OO is to attach a religious stereotype which is meant as a slur. It's a chant which shouldn't be heard at football stadia.

A very large MAJORITY of The Rangers Fans define themselves as being on the Orange side of the great divide. The minority that don't happily sit in silence as the others belt out their bigoted songs.

If they define themselves as that kind of BIGOT, then what's wrong with calling them out for it?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    A very large MAJORITY of The Rangers Fans define themselves as being on the Orange side of the great divide. The minority that don't happily sit in silence as the others belt out their bigoted songs.

If they define themselves as that kind of BIGOT, then what's wrong with calling them out for it?

They’ve adopted orange as their colour. It goes well beyond the orange order.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar

semantics.

it's use clearly falls under 'things associated with sectarianism', and is often used with sectarian intent, i would argue. it's not exactly irrelevant to the political situation from which sectarianism stems from.

if we want rid of sectarianism, it'll need to be done with pretty broad brush strokes.