hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Why has there been such an upsurge in football hooliganism this season?

In the last week alone we've seen bottle throwing and a fan confronting a player at ER, coin throwing at Firhill and seats being thrown between rival fans at Pittodrie.

Prior to that there have been numerous incidents of unacceptable behaviour from fans throughout the season.

Rather than the organised violence we used to see from casuals this seems to be more selective, perpetuated by a few morons, but what has sparked such a noticeable increase this season?

And why is it only football that attracts such d***heads?

2. Log in to remove the advert

The repeal of OBFA has an awful lot to do with it, imho. It empowered the unacceptable elements of the OF and the sense of entitlement they got has permeated the ned element across the game. I am not making a comment on the OBFA legislation in saying this, btw.

I don’t think the popularity of cocaine is helping, either.

For me it's a social problem that has manifested it's self through various issues in society. You only have to look at knife crime in England to see something is seriously wrong with the youth of Britain at the moment. Years of austerity and cut backs have removed vital services in our communities that has led to this problem. Cut backs in youth workers, youth club's, outreach projects, learning assistants, educational psychologists, have all had a bearing on what is happening right now. A polarized community through political beliefs is also having a huge effect. Two massive referendums on the future of the UK in a short space of time has created splits in our society and huge uncertainty. Hooliganism in the 80s came when the population wasn't happy and searching for an identity and the same is happening again, it is just coming out at the football when people are drinking too much and drugs are often involved, causing their anger and stress to boil over and come out in these crazy acts.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Cheap cocaine and alcohol.

Left by mutual consent!
    Bottle throwing I class as hooliganism throwing seats about the same. I'm not quite sure what that guy was upto last night. It appeared he was trying to kick the ball away more than anything.

It is completely unacceptable but not as bad IMO as throwing things at people. He was on something that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DAG013 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me it's a social problem that has manifested it's self through various issues in society. You only have to look at knife crime in England to see something is seriously wrong with the youth of Britain at the moment. Years of austerity and cut backs have removed vital services in our communities that has led to this problem. Cut backs in youth workers, youth club's, outreach projects, learning assistants, educational psychologists, have all had a bearing on what is happening right now. A polarized community through political beliefs is also having a huge effect. Two massive referendums on the future of the UK in a short space of time has created splits in our society and huge uncertainty. Hooliganism in the 80s came when the population wasn't happy and searching for an identity and the same is happening again, it is just coming out at the football when people are drinking too much and drugs are often involved, causing their anger and stress to boil over and come out in these crazy acts.
    Nail on head

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Policing from a distance rather that the "lets get in and sort it out" approach from a bygone era. And if I remember correctly, at the big games there were also groups of policemen strategically place on the terracing which was a deterrent factor in itself.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Policing from a distance rather that the "lets get in and sort it out" approach from a bygone era. And if I remember correctly, at the big games there were also groups of policemen strategically place on the terracing which was a deterrent factor in itself.
    I agree with lots of the points made but this is the main reason for me. My daughter was hit with a smoke bomb at Tiny. Both sets of fans were throwing coins etc, fans came over to the pitch side and it was fairly easy to see the culprits. The Police stood and watched as it escalated. If they had went and arrested the obvious offenders it would have given others pause for thought.

I challenged an ******** at an away game for throwing a smoke bomb or the likes right into the middle of the away fans. All I got back was that I was a grass and there was little support around me to challenge the offender. Pretty much every away game I see fans with cans or bottles inside the ground. If I can see all these things how can't the Police or Stewards. It is blindingly obvious that the small section at the bottom of the east where the bottle came from against Celtic is the only part of ER that you are likely to get bother. Don't sell a couple of seats and have a Police Officer sit in there. The actions of these ********s is costing our clubs its reputation and we have to do anything we can to stop it. When I read the forums and Facebook though there seems to be large numbers of fans giving it whataboutery and also downplaying the actions of our fans. I couldn't give a flying what other fans do, the behaviour of ours is getting worse and needs addressed. There doesn't seem to be an appetite to do it in the ground from fans so the Police and Stewards need to do their job.

It's actually ridiculous how common cocaine is becoming, I imagine it's playing a big part.

A wee fanny running on the pitch then bottling it is hardly an upsurge in hooliganism

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Saturday night KO against celtic, Friday night KO against rangers give's the bams more time to get tanked up.

If both those games had been early afternoon KO's, i'm pretty sure both incidents wouldn't have happened.

Single word - hatred.

I've seen it in many occasions in the past, but on many occasions people don't cross that line and it's mostly verbal. However this season it's been more physical actions.

I do wonder whether Social Media has a big part to play in it - the solidifying of that hatred. But am struggling to explain that in words so not going to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    The repeal of OBFA has an awful lot to do with it, imho. It empowered the unacceptable elements of the OF and the sense of entitlement they got has permeated the ned element across the game. I am not making a comment on the OBFA legislation in saying this, btw.

Disagree strongly with your first paragraph but agree even more strongly with your second one. The stuff made the last derby at Tynecastle notably worse as an atmosphere, coked up daft laddies on the edges of both our stand and the stands nearest to us.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    A wee fanny running on the pitch then bottling it is hardly an upsurge in hooliganism
    It was a fan going onto the pitch and confronting a player though. It doesn't happen often so it is big news when it does and whichever way you look at it it is totally unacceptable.

Against the backdrop of the eventful game at Tynecastle a couple of months ago, a bottle being chucked at the Celtic game last week and LD making a public statement on behalf of the club last week it was another significant event.

I think there is a bit of truth in all of the posts made above and it is the combination of all of them that are leading to this.

A far as I'm concerned though they don't happen at 12:30 or 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. It's the extra bevvy and Ching time for dafties who are going into poorly policed grounds that is mainly causing it.

And the media are lapping it up, managing to fill up column inches and broadcasting minutes with outrage.

LOL. The youth of today are far better behaved than previous generations.
    There is nothing more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

One drunk ned goes on the pitch and it’s down to years of austerity??

Bollox and typical blame culture - it’s no my fault, I get paid crap, there’s no youth centre for me blah blah blah.

I agree with LD on this one, it’s down to personal responsibility and sod all to do with any problems in society.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post

The OBFA is one of the worst pieces of legislation to come from Holyrood.

I do however think it was a well-meaning, as opposed to a malicious, anti all-football-fan bill as some say. I’m glad it’s gone, however the message immediately repealing it instead of replacing it has sent out has not been a positive one, and has well and truly emboldened the coked up morons in our support, and across Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

One drunk ned goes on the pitch and it’s down to years of austerity??

Bollox and typical blame culture - it’s no my fault, I get paid crap, there’s no youth centre for me blah blah blah.

I agree with LD on this one, it’s down to personal responsibility and sod all to do with any problems in society.
    100% spot on

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Not excusing the behaviour - but out of interest how many issues have been at late kickoff times?
    Is there a correlation?
    And if so then perhaps this is something the clubs, TV and authorities need to take a look is there’s been more incidents since this introduction.

Put another way the police appear to be against late kickoffs - would a Celtic Rangers game or cup final be held at a later time? If so why and why should same rules not apply?
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 09-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Not excusing the behaviour - but out of interest how many issues have been at late kickoff times?
    Give or take all of them. TV rules supreme even though there is a clear correlation.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Is there a correlation?
    And if so then perhaps this is something the clubs, TV and authorities need to take a look is there’s been more incidents since this introduction.

Put another way the police appear to be against late kickoffs - would a Celtic Rangers game or cup final be held at a later time? If so why and why should same rules not apply?
    TBH way to much has changed in society due to the actions of a tiny minority I like these night games. Folk can't handle a drink a major factor in minimum pricing.

Getting very pissed off with law changes due to imbicile behavior.

I think it's becoming more 'fashionable' again.

It's not just Scotland.

Yes one guy running into the pitch doesn’t mean an upsurge in hooliganism, but the OP has shown several examples from this season to prove it’s a pattern, not an isolated incident.

It’s probably happening for awhole mixture of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    TBH way to much has changed in society due to the actions of a tiny minority I like these night games. Folk can't handle a drink a major factor in minimum pricing.

Getting very pissed off with law changes due to imbicile behavior.
    Me too.

I like the charged atmospheres and I think it makes our game a better spectacle.

If only we could just stop some people from venturing way over the line of what can be classified as acceptable behaviour.

The problem is though, there really is a direct correlation and that normally leads to directives that affect us all.

It is much easier for the police to ban evening matches than to go back to policing them properly.

Aw come on, that's just making excuses.

If you're son or daughter was the latest victim of knife crime, would you be saying, "aw the wee lamb, he only murdered my kid cos he was bored and nobody cares about him. Don't lock him up, build him a youth centre".

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Aw come on, that's just making excuses.

If you're son or daughter was the latest victim of knife crime, would you be saying, "aw the wee lamb, he only murdered my kid cos he was bored and nobody cares about him. Don't lock him up, build him a youth centre".
    Yeah...that’s not what he was saying though, was it?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I agree with lots of the points made but this is the main reason for me. My daughter was hit with a smoke bomb at Tiny. Both sets of fans were throwing coins etc, fans came over to the pitch side and it was fairly easy to see the culprits. The Police stood and watched as it escalated. If they had went and arrested the obvious offenders it would have given others pause for thought.

I challenged an ******** at an away game for throwing a smoke bomb or the likes right into the middle of the away fans. All I got back was that I was a grass and there was little support around me to challenge the offender. Pretty much every away game I see fans with cans or bottles inside the ground. If I can see all these things how can't the Police or Stewards. It is blindingly obvious that the small section at the bottom of the east where the bottle came from against Celtic is the only part of ER that you are likely to get bother. Don't sell a couple of seats and have a Police Officer sit in there. The actions of these ********s is costing our clubs its reputation and we have to do anything we can to stop it. When I read the forums and Facebook though there seems to be large numbers of fans giving it whataboutery and also downplaying the actions of our fans. I couldn't give a flying what other fans do, the behaviour of ours is getting worse and needs addressed. There doesn't seem to be an appetite to do it in the ground from fans so the Police and Stewards need to do their job.
    I admire your attitude Wookie, much braver than me.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I think it's becoming more 'fashionable' again.

It's not just Scotland.
    There has been more incidents down south this week than up here in Scotland, don't hear the PM getting involved, in fact the media have played down the incidents that have taken place at games down in England and focuses on what has happened here in big bad Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Yeah...that’s not what he was saying though, was it?

Actually, that's how it read to me.

Making excuses for thugs killing other kids by blaming society, lack of government investment and, just lately, the lack of police on the streets. I'm totally sick of reading that.

How about people take responsibility for their own actions?