hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Rugby fans v Football fans

I saw that there was a public debate recently about how football fans are treated differently than rugby fans. Irvine Welsh was involved.

Is anyone still in any doubt as to why?

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's easier to be well behaved at the rugby because it is boring and unexciting. Its not got the same passion as football which brings out behaviours that people wouldnt normally display

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's easier to be well behaved at the rugby because it is boring and unexciting. Its not got the same passion as football which brings out behaviours that people wouldnt normally display

Erm, I think you should watch Scotland v Wales this afternoon, I respectfully suggest that you might change your opinion thereafter.

Rugby fans don't have this tribal attitude associated to football, you're brought up at school to respect the referees by calling them sir as most refs at school rugby matches were also teachers. It's also a more physical game which supporters accept, there's none of the stupid play acting which footballers do all the time. Rugby fans drink together before and after games they even sit beside each other during games, football fans get drunk and want to fight the other fans, it's almost like a war instead of football match.

What an absolute crock o'***** In-stadium behaviour of rugby fans is simply, in the main, far better than that of football fans.

Can't really call something in which fans clap both teams a real sport. It's miles away from the passion of football. They turn up 3 times a year in kilts and silly hats for a party. It's more like a wedding than a sporting event.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Can't really call something in which fans clap both teams a real sport. It's miles away from the passion of football. They turn up 3 times a year in kilts and silly hats for a party. It's more like a wedding than a sporting event.

A bit like the Tartan Army then.

You're forgetting all the weekly league games, of course.

?

Well it ain't going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    A bit like the Tartan Army then.

You're forgetting all the weekly league games, of course.
    Exactly like the tartan army.

Oh yes, tell me more about those big crowds at weekly rugby games

😂

As Pelligrini said "If you know only football, then you know nothing"

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    There will be more obnoxious behaviour, drunkenness and public nuisance in Edinburgh this afternoon and tonight than there was last night.

Rugby is a great day oot, meet up wae mates, few pints, off tae game and never the fear of some arse behind you throwing coins, bottles o buckie and spilling alot of **** and bile out their mouths towards players. Anyone who thinks rugby is boring really doesnt have a clue about rugby.Christ you can even have a beer without the fear of someone wanting a square go wae everyone around them. Not have to deal wae bigots etc etc etc...

Passion? Get a grip. A sport is where competitors compete against each other.

The sport is not the problem. Its spectators that are, as far as football is concerned.

Throwing bottles, coins and seats, fighting in the streets, is not being passionate. It's low life gutter behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    There will be more obnoxious behaviour, drunkenness and public nuisance in Edinburgh this afternoon and tonight than there was last night.

But less aggression, public threats, pissing in doorways, ripping up stadium seats, sectarian songs and a crowd of supporters who will be drinking with each other after a game instead of kicking **** out of each other.

Tell me more about those big crowds in 3 and a half of senior football games.

Out of interest, Edinburgh had 38000 against Toulouse and 12500 v Glasgow.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

So Edinburgh got a big crowd twice? What's their average over the last 5 years?

Nothing worse than rugby fans masquerading as football fans and taking the moral high ground. You like rugby, great. Go chat about it on a rugby forum (if they exist).

Of course there will be. There'll be nearly 4 times as many people at the game today.

However, there will be a lot less violence, abuse and sectarianism.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Passion? Get a grip. A sport is where competitors compete against each other.

The sport is not the problem. Its spectators that are, as far as football is concerned.

Throwing bottles, coins and seats, fighting in the streets, is not being passionate. It's low life gutter behaviour.
    I didn't say that I approved of those things at all. It's just ridiculous to compare a big wedding reception to a football match.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Marx View Post
    Nothing worse than rugby fans masquerading as football fans and taking the moral high ground. You like rugby, great. Go chat about it on a rugby forum (if they exist).
    Stupid remark.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    But less aggression, public threats, pissing in doorways, ripping up stadium seats, sectarian songs and a crowd of supporters who will be drinking with each other after a game instead of kicking **** out of each other.
    It’s different, granted, but the boozy rugby crowd brings with it plenty of nuisance value but policed in a very different way to the football fan.

Stupid remark.
    👍🏻

I'll add to that by saying Saracens v Harlequins regularly attract over 80,000 for a normal club fixture when it is staged at Wembley.

And its virtually impossible to get a ticket for a Glasgow Warriors home fixture at Scotstoun , "SOLD OUT" for every game.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Marx View Post
    I think you've just proved there are worse things 😶

So Edinburgh got a big crowd twice? What's their average over the last 5 years?
    What is Cowdenbeath's average home crowd? Or East Fife. Need I go on?

I have no idea as to the relevance of crowd size anyway.

Football fans, regardless of numbers, are treated differently from rugby fans because of their behaviour.

It’s different, granted, but the boozy rugby crowd brings with it plenty of nuisance value but policed in a very different way to the football fan.
    I'd rather be subject to nuisance than violence. Nuisance can be found every Friday and Saturday in pubs and clubs all over the city.

Sincerely hope this is tongue-in-cheek btw.

I didn't say that I approved of those things at all. It's just ridiculous to compare a big wedding reception to a football match.
    I wonder why Irvine did exactly that.