hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ref apologises to Gerrard

The only other instance of this I know of is Brendan Rogers getting a phonecall from the ref/officials to apologise. To me it's one of two things:-

1. Proof positive that old firm bias is very much real and thriving with our officials.

2. All the non-old firm clubs/managers also receive apologies from time to time from refs/officials but it is just not reported or deemed news worthy as we are insignificant in the media.

...... or 3 I suppose that there has been reported apologies to the rest and I've missed them all and just waking up early in a strop 🤔

2. Log in to remove the advert

Link please. What was the apology for? Was it merited based on the facts?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only other instance of this I know of is Brendan Rogers getting a phonecall from the ref/officials to apologise. To me it's one of two things:-

1. Proof positive that old firm bias is very much real and thriving with our officials.

2. All the non-old firm clubs/managers also receive apologies from time to time from refs/officials but it is just not reported or deemed news worthy as we are insignificant in the media.

...... or 3 I suppose that there has been reported apologies to the rest and I've missed them all and just waking up early in a strop 🤔
    Rodgers got n apology from the linesman directly after the game in the 4-2 league cup semi v us last season. Couldnt wait to ask for his forgiveness, embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Link please. What was the apology for? Was it merited based on the facts?
    Don't know how to do links sorry - I'm backwards with technology! - it's in MSM today though you won't miss it.

For not giving a foul in the build up to Hibs equaliser

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Rodgers got n apology from the linesman directly after the game in the 4-2 league cup semi v us last season. Couldnt wait to ask for his forgiveness, embarrassing.

Funny that ?

From where I was sitting their last two goals looked miles offside!

It's laughable considering the referee was atrocious and gave them almost every single decision.

Gave them a foul for Omeonga winning a header. A foul for high feet at waist height with kamberi. Later booked Kamberi for kicking the ball away but failed to do the same when Gouldson done it earlier in the game right infront of the dugout. Between him and the linesman they failed to book morelos after their goal. The absolute farce before their goal with the linesman flagging then not and everyone stopping.

But he will phone up "Stevie G" to apologise for a supposed "foul" that was actually never a foul in a million years.

Scottish football eh? Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Funny that ?

From where I was sitting their last two goals looked miles offside!
    Certainly the 4th one. Think he apologised for giving the pen when Boyle was tackled, which looked like he got wrong but the indecent haste to ask for forgiveness is the galling thing.

Don't know how to do links sorry - I'm backwards with technology! - it's in MSM today though you won't miss it.

For not giving a foul in the build up to Hibs equaliser
    One of those where you're raging if it goes against you tbf. Didn't merit an apology though, in the grand scheme of things. Other managers have got apologies in the past though, I seem to remember The Dalry Lama Cathro getting one from Dallas the Younger.
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 12-03-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    One of those where you're raging if it goes against you tbf. Didn't merit an apology though, in the grand scheme of things. Other managers have got apologies in the past though, I seem to remember The Dalry Lama Cathro getting one from Dallas the Younger.
    Absolutely doesnt deserve an apology as he had clear sight of it and didnt give it just like probably 30 or so other calls on the night. Maybe this is something that officials do regularly though I have my doubts however maybe only certain clubs publicise it.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    pandering to the infirm as per usual, this is why things are such a mess up here, how many apologises are handed out to other teams when they get it wrong? **** all is my guess

Did alan Stubbs receive an apology after the falkirk handball the play offs?

What about fenlon after Griffiths scored a goal that was a good 3 yards over the line?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Did alan Stubbs receive an apology after the falkirk handball the play offs?

What about fenlon after Griffiths scored a goal that was a good 3 yards over the line?
    Or the Oli Shaw “goal” at Tynie last season. Same ref, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Or the Oli Shaw “goal” at Tynie last season. Same ref, I think.
    It was the same ref.

Without a doubt this mindset of the ref having to apologise influences his decisions next time he referees a rangers game. He wouldn’t want to have to apologise again so will get every decision.

This is where our club and the others need to be calling this nonsense out and it’s about time our board spoke up.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Without a doubt this mindset of the ref having to apologise influences his decisions next time he referees a rangers game. He wouldn’t want to have to apologise again so will get every decision.

This is where our club and the others need to be calling this nonsense out and it’s about time our board spoke up.
    The key point.

SunSport can reveal the Ibrox gaffer went to see McLean at Easter Road and ask for an explanation with the whistler vowing to study the TV footage.

Having done so, McLean contacted Gerrard to admit he got it wrong.

Refs’ chief John Fleming is also believed to have been critical of McLean and assistants, Graham Chambers and Stuart Stevenson.

SunSport can reveal the Ibrox gaffer went to see McLean at Easter Road and ask for an explanation with the whistler vowing to study the TV footage.

Having done so, McLean contacted Gerrard to admit he got it wrong.

Refs’ chief John Fleming is also believed to have been critical of McLean and assistants, Graham Chambers and Stuart Stevenson.
    How do they know that? John no doubt gutted his team didnt win.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    The rag has a vested interest in the well being of the ugly sisters.
    So you saying it didn’t happen or this is normal and happens all the time it’s just being dramatised on the occasion to wind us up?

No idea if the story is true ,but now it’s in the public domain ,you wonder if subconsciously the ref is more likely to err on the side of caution ,and give The Rangers a decision in the next game he refs involving them , that he might not otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    If we're going to make incidents like this public then it's time we had refs interviewed or publish comments on the SFA website 24hrs after every game. Can't have your cake and eat it where refs can't comment but others can tell us that they apparently admitted they were wrong in private, it undermines the whole system and trust people have in them to do their job.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/03/blo...-to-apologise/

Utterly embarrassing for the referee, SFA and Sevco. This has to stop now. It simply feeds their "victim mentality" and plays up to the Hunbrox hoards who already think they have a God-given right to win everything.

Ref should be taken to task for bringing the game into disrepute ... or can we now expect every ref in every league to phone managers after matches with apologies for their mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    If we're going to make incidents like this public then it's time we had refs interviewed or publish comments on the SFA website 24hrs after every game. Can't have your cake and eat it where refs can't comment but others can tell us that they apparently admitted they were wrong in private, it undermines the whole system and trust people have in them to do their job.
    Seriously ? If it was in the interests of Celtic and Sevco for referees to explain their decisions post-match and for Strict Liability to apply to clubs, it would have happened long before now. Fact is NEITHER would gain and both have most to lose.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    We should do the decent thing and phone “Stevie G” up to forfeit our point and give them a 3-0 win. Completely unacceptable for a referee to make an erroneous call against the Old Firm.

Left by mutual consent!
    He probably asked for his autograph while there.

@hibs.net private member
    Absolute disgrace that this is allowed to happen.

All it does is highlight the official incompetence.

The refereeing on Friday night also has to be cited as part to blame for that lunatic invading the field... i know my frustration with the officiating fuels my anger during games, i'm not an idiot so wouldn't vent it in such a way and i am in no way condoning that kind of behaviour but the consistently poor performances definitely play a part.

We all ask for transparency when it comes to decisions made during the game but contacting the Manager of a club after the fact is utter nonsense and MacLean should be punished and demoted for this.

This will never happen.

'S' Form

...... or 3 I suppose that there has been reported apologies to the rest and I've missed them all and just waking up early in a strop ��

As an ex referee, I was asked by a manager to review an penalty incident on the highlights and could I call him once I had a chance to look. I made an error in not awarding a penalty kick to his team, so gave him a 'courtesy call' to offer my apologies. I was thanked for my honesty and taking the time out to pick up the phone.

Two days later I received an email from SFA HQ advising that the Referee Committee would be investigating my phone call and asked for my comments.

The manager had reported me to the SFA for contacting him after the match!!!

Official knuckle rapping from the SFA Referee Committee and the Referee Department, which Steven McLean works in.

Butcher received an apology from the linesman when he flagged I think Forster offside at tynie when he was a couple of yards onside in our relegation season.

As for Friday if he got it wrong in the lead up to the goal (and I'm not sure he did) it was the only call he gave Hibs all night with around a dozen given to the huns which were wrong.

We received 5 bookings and a sending off to the huns 3 bookings in the game, was that even handed?

I do think it was a foul in the lead up to the Hibs goal but it was hardly in the howler category requiring an apology.

I thought the referee was terrible, all night, for both teams. The majority of his bad decisions went against us but there can be no doubt that the biggest decisions went in our favour.