hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Double Glazing Query

Hi

Can anyone help me with a query?

Do to us living close to traffic we wanted some new windows fitted to help reduce the noise. So we got quoted for the below :

'Clear low emission and heat retaining Pilkington K laminated/toughened double glazed units 10mm low E safety glass with warm spacer with Argon gas and 6.4mm laminated safety glass'

Windows were fitted and after the fitters had left we noticed the glass was Saint Gobain and we measured the thickness with a glass measure and discovered it was 6mm and 6mm, not 6mm and 10mm.

The reply back was that it is Pilkington glass but the double glazing units are put together by Saint Gobain and supplied to the window manufacturer (no sign of the Pilkington brand anywhere) As regards the thickness he said the windows we have did not accept the 6mm and 10mm thickness and the 10mm was an error, what we have is 2 x skins of laminated glass to dampen any noise.

So couple of questions.

1- Can it be Pilkington glass but with the Saint Gobain brand?

2- With regard to the thickness then is it true, is 2 x 6mm as effective as what we wanted which was 6mm and 10mm.

Are we being strung along or does it all make sense?
    Last edited by James310; 02-03-2019 at 03:03 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Were they totally new windows and frames? The bit about the windows not accepting the deeper units sounds like new glazing in existing windows.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Were they totally new windows and frames? The bit about the windows not accepting the deeper units sounds like new glazing in existing windows.
    They were new windows and frames. Bespoke build for our extension.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Double glazed units are assembled to suit the size of the windows. There's nothing unusual about Saint Gobain making the units using Pilkington glass.

As for the 6+6 or 6+10, the 6+6 won't be as effective. Apart from there being less glass (and therefore mass), different thicknesses of glass will reduce different frequencies of sound.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Double glazed units are assembled to suit the size of the windows. There's nothing unusual about Saint Gobain making the units using Pilkington glass.

As for the 6+6 or 6+10, the 6+6 won't be as effective. Apart from there being less glass (and therefore mass), different thicknesses of glass will reduce different frequencies of sound.
    Thanks, so at least he telling the truth about the Pilkington glass then. Which makes me think he could be right about the thickness. Although none of this was ever explained to us at the time and we paid based on the description on the invoice.

We also have other windows in the room that are 6mm and 10mm.
    Last edited by James310; 02-03-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    So one of the new windows is leaking!

I am still not happy that we paid for and were invoiced for glass that was 6mm and 10mm but that's not what we got.

Is he in breach of contract by not supplying what we specifically asked for and thought we were paying for?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    So one of the new windows is leaking!

I am still not happy that we paid for and were invoiced for glass that was 6mm and 10mm but that's not what we got.

Is he in breach of contract by not supplying what we specifically asked for and thought we were paying for?
    The council has a trading standards department. Speak to them about not getting what was specified.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

You will have to give them the opportunity to put right, I would be seeking some independent advice about what you have been sold and what’s been fitted.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    The council has a trading standards department. Speak to them about not getting what was specified.
    Will do, and the company is an Edinburgh Council Trusted Trader as well! I have a legal advice helpline through my home insurance and they say he has breached by misrepresentation.

Just working out my next move.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    You will have to give them the opportunity to put right, I would be seeking some independent advice about what you have been sold and what’s been fitted.
    Yes, I am going to see if he replies and if not write again with a deadline to reply. If not then I will get back in touch with the legal helpline.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    Will do, and the company is an Edinburgh Council Trusted Trader as well! I have a legal advice helpline through my home insurance and they say he has breached by misrepresentation.

Just working out my next move.
    Don’t forget to leave a review of the contractor on the trusted trader site.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Don’t forget to leave a review of the contractor on the trusted trader site.
    Well he made my wife complete the review paperwork on the day they fitted them, before we had a chance to properly inspect the work. She should have waited but she had no reason to doubt the work. However thanks for pointing it out as it made me look at that site and they have their own dispute service which he has to follow as a member of the scheme. I am reading it in more detail now.

I am guessing most of his customers would never measure the thickness of the glass so he may have thought we would never know. He never knew he was up against my wife!
    Last edited by James310; 04-03-2019 at 05:50 PM.