hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

An evening in Perth

My first visit to Perth since the mid 70s believe it or not and my first Hibs away game of the season.

Just a few observations after thanking BillyWhizz from here for my match ticket and being a superb away day host and I was delighted to meet a few names off here too. WE ARE HIBS.

A difficult first half where we didnt play at all (not that St Johnstone produced that much) undone by a very basic corner, you know, have a gaggle of players in the middle of the penalty area, send the the first few to the near post while your centre half or anybody particularly big or powerful peels off to the back post and aligns himself to the smallest player in your back four (usually a full back). its not a ground breaking tactic Im sure Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath (with the grreatest of respect to the two of them) have this in their repertoire but we fall for this with an alarming regularity whether the opposition actually capitalise on it or not.

I would love to know what the Heck was said at the halftime but it seemed to work. We had more movement (sadly lacking in the first 45 minutes) and moved the ball with greater speed. We gradually got on top, got the equaliser and then lost momentum when Sliv got sent off, lets face it he was lucky to be on the pitch after a being very lucky to survive what seems to me a certain second yellow only a few minutes earlier.

After this the boys really showed their metal, support from the faithMful grew in its passion and fervour and the introduction of Steph changed the game, someone with skill and pace to link the hardworking front two to the rest of the team manfully defending the cause. A wonderful break, brilliant through ball and fantastic finish saw the travelling hoards going berserk. We survived a bit of an alamo style blitz in the closing stages, a great save from Rocky in the dying minutes.

Many positives from tonight. Although starting poorly we changed things at half time, something we havent always done with much success previously this season. Our back four struggling for pace fought manfully especially to the late bombardment. Slivka despite his sending off I thought was playing playing well, Sparky scoring twice and Flo being a total pain in the erse to their back four whether he had the ball or not. Steph was amazing when he came on. I'd give my motm to Sparky for scoring two goals but Steph ran him close despite only playing half an hour, he was a relevation.

The togetherness of the team/squad was apparent as well, how well did the boys enjoy that victory, they really seemed together and team spirit seemed well high. And on the plus side by no mean feat our fantastic fans, What a great turnout on a Wednesday night, great loud and proud support. I listended to my Stone Roses CD all the way home, playing one track over and over (I'll leave you to guess which one).

We still have work to do of course, the fact we're excited over getting in a top six position shows how disappointing this season has been up until this point, hopefully we now are following a different course and starting to come out of the storm and heading forward again.

We generally lack pace throughout the team, be glad when Boyler makes a re-appearance but of most concern is a lack of pace at the back and from what I now of Hecks time managing down South he likes to play out from the back something I think none of our centre backs are particularly comfortable with or accomplished at. Play a high press and we cough the ball up or just hit it long. Im sure he will make changes here in the summer transfer window.

Not sure what Rocky was doing with his distribution last night but it was woeful. Made some great stops especially that one right at the end and was unlucky at the goal having just pulled off a great save. Made a great superman impression in the second half on a cross that he was absolutely nowhere near. I like Rocky but seems to be a choice between the safety of Bogdan and the brilliant shop stopping of Rocky. Anyway after last night at least I prefer to remember the great stops that contributed massively to our fine win.

We're moving in the right direction fellas keep the faith. We'll move at faster rate when the lads get a grip on the gaffers stupid yorkist accent (sorry Im a Lancashire lad the rivalry will never die )

Good evening my fellow Hibbies. Simply the best.

Last edited by Lancs Harp; 28-02-2019 at 09:49 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Aye, but did ya get a mince roll?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummie_Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, but did ya get a mince roll?
    Had a steak pie, top quality for a footy pie.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Good to meet you too Lancs Harp