hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Wright

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? If that was me and a player on a card and had just got away with one, fouled me again I’d be annoyed too.

I don’t understand the outrage at players holding imaginary cards up either, if a player is fouling you imo you’ve every right to want them to get booked, otherwise the person committing the fouls is getting an unfair advantage.
    Disagree with the last part, I hate seeing any player doing that. The amount of hypocrisy in football is huge - we regularly hear about "x" showing a lack of respect to his fellow player. What is trying to get a player sent off and banned for the following game if it isn't a lack of respect?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Disagree with the last part, I hate seeing any player doing that. The amount of hypocrisy in football is huge - we regularly hear about "x" showing a lack of respect to his fellow player. What is trying to get a player sent off and banned for the following game if it isn't a lack of respect?
    Most people do disagree with me about it.

To me though, someone tripping someone up or trying to hurt someone is a lot more disrespectful than a player asking for that player to be cautioned.

I personally think if you’re on the receiving end of a bad or cynical foul with a deliberate attempt to either hurt you or stop you illegally (in the eyes of the game), you’ve every right to ask for that player to be carded.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Hibs head coach seemed to think it was a penalty.
    As do I, it was a stupid challenge in the box

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I thought it was a penalty at the game and I've watched the replay and I still think it's a penalty. Did Kamberi play for it? Looked like it. Did Craig go into the back of him? Yep. Would have been a foul outside the box so it's a penalty if it happens in the box.

I'd be annoyed if it was given against us becuase I'm a supporter and even when there are clear as day penalties given against us, I get annoyed about it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Exactly.

It might be refreshing if one did, but it'll never happen.
    I might be wrong but I think Tommy Wright has done this in the past.

@hibs.net private member JoeT_WasTheBest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I might be wrong but I think Tommy Wright has done this in the past.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT_WasTheBest View Post
    :
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Most people do disagree with me about it.

To me though, someone tripping someone up or trying to hurt someone is a lot more disrespectful than a player asking for that player to be cautioned.

I personally think if you’re on the receiving end of a bad or cynical foul with a deliberate attempt to either hurt you or stop you illegally (in the eyes of the game), you’ve every right to ask for that player to be carded.
    You've every right to want them carded, but asking for it to happen is dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    You've every right to want them carded, but asking for it to happen is dissent.
    I know. I don't think it should be though.

IMO It's a perfectly reasonable thing to do after being tripped up, kicked or whatever has been done by the opposing player to gain an unfair advantage over you.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT_WasTheBest View Post
    I know mate - it’s unlikely.

First Team Breakthrough goosefat's Avatar
    Tommy...

I know. I don't think it should be though.

IMO It's a perfectly reasonable thing to do after being tripped up, kicked or whatever has been done by the opposing player to gain an unfair advantage over you.
    IMHO no player has the right to tell a referee what he should do. Regardless of what we think generally of the ability of referees, I'm not aware of any other sport where players think it is their given right to harangue referees over every decision made. It could be stopped in a week with the introduction of the rugby style 10 yard rule but the authorities don't don't have the balls to introduce that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    He raised his hand in a deliberate gesture and made contact with the guy's back (who then falls down like a sack of tatties). I can't remember where the referee was, but if he was say 15-20 yds away and running himself, it'd be difficult for him to know how much contact was made.

I don't see that the ref had a choice.
    You see, I didn't see it like that at all. Watt ( cleverly) cuts across the oncoming Hibs player. As Watt does this he actually raises his arm to ward Slivka off. Slivka realises he may catch Watt with his leg/body so puts the brakes on & puts his arm out for balance. He brushes Watt, no more, Watt takes 2 steps, realises he's been touched & throws himself to the ground. He then gets the bonus of realising it's Slivka. The ref hesitates, then sees it's Slivka & thinks I've just let him off with one, so goes for his pocket. Opinions huh!
    As for our pen, I don't think Kamberi's looking for it at all, otherwise he would have gone down at the 1st contact from Shaughnessy. When I was a ref I put great store on body language to help with difficult decisions. Liam Craig's body language says he knew it was a penalty.

Wright would have nothing to say about his ace diver Watt getting a penalty in the same situation, if Craig and Shaughnessy ( I think) want to stupidly put there hands and arms into the back off an attacker with the ball in that situation they are asking for trouble and the ref to make a decision ..stupid defending but enough contact in my view !

IMHO no player has the right to tell a referee what he should do. Regardless of what we think generally of the ability of referees, I'm not aware of any other sport where players think it is their given right to harangue referees over every decision made. It could be stopped in a week with the introduction of the rugby style 10 yard rule but the authorities don't don't have the balls to introduce that.
    I don't think the 10 yard thing would make any difference as territory isn't that important in football, more important in rugby and 10 yards can make all the difference.

I was never quick enough as a footballer to run away from any one but i just think it must be frustrating as hell to be passed someone, you've got your mind on what your going to do next and then your taken down with a cynical foul. I don't blame players for asking the ref to book players, i would assume it would be a natural reaction to an extent. Same applies if it's a bad foul that could cause serious injury, i don't see why the victim isn't allowed to say to the ref that they think the other player should be booked?

I realise i'm in the minority, probably of one, as it seems to disgust everyone else, particularly the pundits on the tele, i personally just don't see the issue with it.

I don't think the 10 yard thing would make any difference as territory isn't that important in football, more important in rugby and 10 yards can make all the difference.

I was never quick enough as a footballer to run away from any one but i just think it must be frustrating as hell to be passed someone, you've got your mind on what your going to do next and then your taken down with a cynical foul. I don't blame players for asking the ref to book players, i would assume it would be a natural reaction to an extent. Same applies if it's a bad foul that could cause serious injury, i don't see why the victim isn't allowed to say to the ref that they think the other player should be booked?

I realise i'm in the minority, probably of one, as it seems to disgust everyone else, particularly the pundits on the tele, i personally just don't see the issue with it.
    Territory is not important? A free kick 35 yards out being moved forward 10 yards puts it easily within scoring distance for players like Stevie Mallan. And if the starting point it 25 yards out it ends up in the penalty area with a show of dissent. Territory is everything. The rule will never happen as I said before but no question it would stop dissent and quickly.

Territory is not important? A free kick 35 yards out being moved forward 10 yards puts it easily within scoring distance for players like Stevie Mallan. And if the starting point it 25 yards out it ends up in the penalty area with a show of dissent. Territory is everything. The rule will never happen as I said before but no question it would stop dissent and quickly.
    Nah, i don't think it is that important. There's obviously the occasions you've mentioned however i am not sure a free kick from outside the box going into the box is particularly helpful (assuming you're not talking about it becoming a penalty), it can help players being a bit further away so they've got room to get it up and down. I'm not saying it's never beneficial to be further forward but unless it's a free kick from 35 yards out going forward 10 yards i'm not sure there's a huge difference.

Rugby players have to scrap for every yard they want to go forward, footballers can just pass it forward 10 yards if they want to.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be punishment for dissent but i just don't think territory is that good a solution in football.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Tommy Wright looks like he sounds.
    Reminds me of Ian Paisley without the peace-keeping qualities.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Ultimately Wright's management style reflects how his team plays - like McInnes, he sends his players out for deliberate gamesmanship and masks this by highlighting when teams do it back to him.

It's a legitimate strategy and whilst it can be irritating it makes it all the sweeter when we win.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Hes just made to be the next Hearts boss once Levein gets punted - a greeting faced roaster who plays ***** football, perfect for them.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    I don't recall ever hearing any manager/coach, at any club, calling one of his own players a cheat after that player had gained his team a penalty.
    Don't think he used the word cheat, but Alex 'Sir' Fergie called out Ashley Young after a brief spate of spring-loaded dives and said he would be having a word with him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Are they only cheats if they play for our opponents?
    Pretty much sums it up for me :)

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Pretty sure this is the same Tommy Wright some on here wanted to take over from Lennon? Plenty moaning about him now though.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Pretty sure this is the same Tommy Wright some on here wanted to take over from Lennon? Plenty moaning about him now though.
    You say “some” wanted him as Hibs manager, that would mean there where others who didn’t want him as manager, maybe that’s who are slagging off the bitter roaster that is Tommy Wright?

Left by mutual consent!
    Is it now (and I don’t want to tempt fate) to late for the compliance officer to do any thing about Marc’s challenge in the Dundee game ?

This is rock on Tommy after the ludicrous penalty v Hearts.

"It's quite obvious we should have won, it's two points dropped. We totally dominated and they barely laid a glove on us from open play.

"Decisions go for you and against you. But Craig [Levein] has had a lot to say about referees recently, but this is a game where they'll be happy to get a point because they were second best all night."

DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT

His team played agains 10 men for 30 mins at 1-1 and contrived to LOSE the match. Think he has bigger problems to worry about than whether or not a pen should have been given earlier in the game.

But, if a 40 ton truck did hit Kameri, the very same truck smashed into Watt a few minutes later which lead to a Hibs player being red carded.

He's a bitter plum.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and its good that you defend it and acknowledge it is not a popular one.

If someone did that to me I would laugh in their face and think that's you beat pal.

If the best they can do is ask their mummy (the ref) for help then IMO they are *****ed.

Personally I would resolve to get them back with interest.

But I don't suppose I would last long in these genteel days, where a breath of wind is enough to have some charlatans hitting the deck and claiming blue murder.

As for simulation I would make it an automatic sending off offence which came with a 2 game ban

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Name these *******s.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Name these *******s.
    Tend to agree I cant remember many or any. His team play dour stuff imo and while effective and have a number of good players wouldnt want that style of play at ER winning or not.